Clone Confusion

If I’m in a Tile Builder child app and perform a clone the operation executes normally but produces a brand new copy of the parent app with the cloned child within it. Not what I would expect. Is there some setting or property that controls this?

If I clone a rule I don’t get a whole new instance of rule machine.

I believe this is what happens if you do not have singleInstance: true specified in the definition of your parent app. (This means more than one copy of the parent app cannot be installed, and it's often specified, though I suppose there are rare cases where you may want other behavior for parent apps.)

2 Likes

Yes, I have it set to false as I want multiple instances. I wonder what happens if I change it back to to true now that I already have multiple instances installed. Something to try out when I get home.

Thanks.

I assume you want multiple instances for scale reasons...?

Is there a way to copy an existing tile's formatting to a new tile (say tile1 to tile2) and then edit it. In my case, I have a Tesla Model S and am creating tiles to represent useful state--I customized the first one quite a bit and want to clone then tweak it--is that possible?

Thx!

PS: great work! Assuming things go as well with my first run at things as I'm now expecting, I'll be happy to donate and upgrade to the advanced version. Again, this is nice work--keep at it!!

I assume you are referring to Tile Builder Rooms?

Actually that was what this thread was about. I was just playing with it and there is a way to do it, but I have not fully tested an documented it.

Basically you modify the parent app to set singleInstance to true. Then you clone the tile as you normally would and fine tune the clone. Change singleInstance back to false.

I’m out of town at the moment but I’ll be back on Monday and can help more then.

Glad you like it. It has a lot of potential uses.

Yes, you can install 5 instances of Tile Builder. I use them mainly for organization, 1 for Rooms, 1 for tables, 1 for testing and 1 for documentation (sample tiles).

Actually, no, I'm referring to regular multi-attribute tiles. I create one and format it as I like. In most cases, I need more than one of that type of tile so now I need another that's formatted in the same way. I tried creating a tile2 attribute using the methods exposed on the storage device instance and pasted the CSS into it in the hopes that it would show up as editable in your UX but it (as I'm sure you knew) didn't. So in short, I'm looking for a way to clone a tile's formatting to another tile. I ultimately cloned a whole new Tile Builder instance and edited that one but obviously that's not going to scale.

Is there a way to clone a tile within a single Tile Builder instance?

Built into the advanced version is a tab called styles, which allows you to save a group of format settings and apply them to multiple tables. Check out the documentation for more info on this.

There is actually a short video on Styles in the very first post. Have a look at that and see if it would do what you want.

1 Like