ChromeCast Question

Is there a way to play an audio file over the speakers? I can get the system to announce with the speech, that is easy. But what about playing a noise??

Thanks

You can use the Play Track option with a URL to an Audio file. I just tested it with this one and it worked:

Thanks I will try that out. If that file were on the Hubitat in the files area could it be played from there? If so what would be the url? https://192.168.1.52/mysound.mp3 ??

I am missing something here. I have chromecast installed and am using RM to play a text to the google Minis. Where is the Play Track settings?

Ugh Sometimes I miss the obvious. I need to create a device that is linked to Chromecast for each noise I want. That is where the Play Track is located. I am setting up door bells so I have buttons that I monitor and I want to play a file to the Minis. Then I can setup a notification or a rule to activate the device as needed

My Google Minis are mute, Chromecast beta can find them but I get no audio. The logs say the app played the file from the location.

In 2.2.8 there are issues with the (Beta) Chromecast integration. You'll see a number of public posts that they've stopped working, and/or periodically require manual Initialize steps performed on them to revive them.

The Hubitat engineers are aware of the issue.

Ugh Sometimes I miss the obvious. I need to create a device that is linked to Chromecast for each noise I want. That is where the Play Track is located. I am setting up door bells so I have buttons that I monitor and I want to play a file to the Minis. Then I can setup a notification or a rule to activate the device as needed

You'll end up with one Device definition per Google Home device you have, and then a number of Rule definitions that contain the sound to play, and the triggering events needed to set off each sound.

The Rule definition would look like this, with your Trigger Events added:

with the Actions to Run part looking like:

I made the file local, by saving it on the Hub itself, using File Manager:

When it was remote, at the original URL I posted above, it didnt work in a Rule and errors were emitted in the logs.

This is more resilient, so probably a better all-local setup

Thanks guessed I was thinking that my Minis might be asleep I will give your example a try. I also put my mp3 files on the HE. Seems like a no brainer.

I do not have the Actions that you show ie: sound. Is that in Rules 4.1? I am fully updated but I don't seem to have Rules 5 MY HE is a C4 if that makes a difference

NEvermind I realized that I hadn't installed RM5. My Google Minis did not show up under the sound devices, I had to use a speech device, now to test it out.