Chromecast Integration - Lenovo Smart Display not Speaking TTS

Hi all. I have 4 Google or "works with Google Assistant" devices I'm trying to get integrated with Hubitat:

• 1 x Google Home Mini
  • 1 x Google Home
  • 1 x Lenovo Smart Display 8"
  • 1 x Lenovo Smart Display 10"

I was able to discover and add all 4 devices through Hubitat's Chromecast Integration (beta) app. I was also able to add a rule machine (RM) that would trigger off of a door contact sensor opening, with the action to play a TTS string (like "%device% open") on all four Google devices

When I tested it, the Google Home Mini and Google Home devices both played the "bling" sound (that indicates a Chromecast connection) followed by the TTS as expected. However, both the Lenovo Smart Displays simply played the "bling" sound but doesn't play the TTS.

In my Lenovo Smart Display 10" device page on Hubitat, I have the following Preferences enabled:

• Stop after TTS is complete
  • Enable debug logging
  • Enable descriptionText logging

The device type was defaulted to "Chromecast Video." Everything else about the Lenovo device integration with Hubitat commands work: volume up, volume down, mute, and even play and pause for when I have music already Chromecasting directly to the Lenovo Smart Display from a separate source (my phone using Google Play Music app).

Below are my logs for when I manually tried to send a TTS command through Hubitat. You'll see the logs for both a Google Home Mini (called "Bathroom Speaker") that played TTS successfully and my Lenovo Smart Display 10" (called "Kitchen Display"). that only played the "bling" sound and failed to play the TTS.

Note how the two device logs differ: the Kitchen Display (Lenovo Smart Display) has additional items that the Bathroom Speaker (Google Home Mini) doesn't have, including:

• Buffering
  • Error: "su.litvak.chromecast.api.v2.ChromeCastException: Waiting for response timed out (runQ)"

I've tried to remove and re-add the Lenovo Smart Display devices from the Hubitat Chromecast Integration (beta) app, but the Lenovo devices just refuses to play the TTS, and the logs always look the same. I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer!

Bump.

I have the same issue with a Google Home Hub. Any update?

Have you looked into the Google home assistant relay? I have had a lot better luck with it. I know the Chrome cast integration is in Beta. Anyway I use assistant relay to send notifications to my google homes including two lenovo google devices I have. I actually run the assistant relay from a Windows server I have on 24/7 anyway but I know a lot of people use a PI to run it. This may be an option for you. I know if you want notifications to a single device etc you may need to have separate accounts on the devices. That's the only downside to it compared to casting to the device. Version 3 was just released and I just upgraded this morning it's a little more user friendly now thanks to Greg. I still want to be able to implement the chromecast capabilities but right now mine are not discoverable since I upgraded my AP's to nano HD's I have yet to find a work around for it. Just wanted to provide you with options.

Also if you have devices not supported in Hubitat but supported in google home you can still use RM to send the commands to those devices. I have a few devices I use such as TPlink etc and I'm still able to use RM to right rules to send those devices commands using the relay.

I just tested my Lenovo 8 and it works fine, but I noticed when it has stop after tts enabled, the first word sound like stutterer. I used the word test, it said t..test.

Well, after leaving it alone for a month, and after going through several firmware updates, reboots, and repairs, it appears to be working now. I do get that first-word stutter like vjv mentioned, but other than that, it does seem to speak out the TTS texts.

Just setup Chromecast Audio.
I can get it to do roughly the same, Vol Up/Dn tones, but when I sent TTS tests it does the same error (below). I'm hoping something has seen/fixed this, but otherwise I suppose I'll employ the same tactics (patience & hope).

Does the Chromecast Audio have a static IP on your network? And is it on the same subnet as Hubitat? It appears that Hubitat isn't able to find the Chromecast Audio.

1 Like

All the chromecast devices are DHCP with a mix of some being wired ethernet and some being WLAN. Hubitat is on a different VLAN, but I thought since it found the devices in the discovery process it would work. Plus, when I adjust volume you hear the corresponding tone. So some packets are getting through; just not all I guess.

Theoretically, since all my smart devices are Zwave or Zigbee I could technically change the VLAN for the switchport of the Hubitat to put it on the same network as the chromecast devices. Hmmm....

Thanks for the reply.

Change the driver from Chromecast video to Chromecast audio

Welcome, @triskelion95.

Changing from video to audio made no difference for me as the error still appeared. However, I just reran the Chromecast discovery and tested the device and the error isn't showing up.

In addition to the errors, I noticed, on the device page, that the uriQ value keeps growing, but after the rediscovery it's staying empty.

I have a feeling that both these issues might be something that occurs after some time, like perhaps after a DHCP IP change. I'm going to try the static IP suggestion, watch it for a few days, and report back.

[EDITED]: I assigned static IP addresses to the Chromecast devices (2 hubs, 1 home, 1 home mini). One day has passed and no errors yet, nor has the uriQ variable issue come up either. So far, so good.

Now I'm getting the same error after it was working for a few days. Static IPs on both HE and Chromecast (TV) in same subnet (they have always had that). Tried deleting and rediscovering the device. I've tried changing the type from Chromecast Video to Chromecast Audio. I tried rebooting the HE twice and even rebooted the router to no avail. The TV blacks out for a moment as if it's about to execute the command (like it had in the past) whenever I issue any of the commands but then returns and these su.litvak.chromecast.api.v2.ChromeCastException: Waiting for response timed out appear in the logs shortly thereafter.

EDIT: Nevermind :slight_smile: . After giving up, I noticed other oddities in the TV. So, I did a forget network and a hard restart of it and everything is back to normal again.

So, it turns out that my previous attempts didn't fix the problem. I ended up creating a rule to refresh all my Google speakers at 3 am every day. I haven't seen this issue for the past month with that daily refresh rule.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.