Chromecast Integration errors after 2.2.8 update

After updating my C7 Hubitat to 2.2.8 I'm getting these error when sending 'Speak' commands to a Chromecast Speaker device. There are no specific volume commands being sent. Just this simple 'Speak' command:
Speak on Office Speaker: '%device% %value%'

The audio works (it says things like "Patio Door Open") but it logs this error every time it speaks).

09:31:34.396 am error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toInteger() on null object (setVolume)
09:22:49.780 am error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toInteger() on null object (setVolume)
09:20:01.639 am error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toInteger() on null object (setVolume)
09:17:53.289 am error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toInteger() on null object (setVolume)
09:17:22.569 am error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toInteger() on null object (setVolume)
09:16:27.222 am error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toInteger() on null object (setVolume)
09:15:34.825 am error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toInteger() on null object (setVolume)
08:59:53.451 am error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toInteger() on null object (setVolume)
08:58:37.143 am error java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke method toInteger() on null object (setVolume)
2 Likes

@gopher.ny

Noted, to be fixed in an upcoming release...

4 Likes

Also, in the event log for my Google Home Mini, I now see a transportStatus in addition to a status entry. With the 2.2.8 update, my Google Home Mini speaker stops working unless I manually initialize it. Then it will work for a while and drop off again. There are no log entries that I see that would help me figure out why. I will turn on debug logging to see if it will capture something to help figure out why it is now going AWOL. I don't know if this is part of the issue noted above.

1 Like

Same here. :disappointed_relieved:

And it is even no more possible to do an inititalize-refresh-speak sequence via code to wake up the device.
But when I do this manually (by clicking the same buttons on the device page) it works!?!

Even after 2.2.8.141 update - chromecast group device functionality is broken. Chromecast group device TTS didn't work at all and play track (mp3) to group works with huge delay ~ 2-3 min

1 Like

@gopher.ny You've been digging into this and general performance issues.

If I move from using ~9 Google Nest Hub/Speaker/minispeaker type devices to using, say, 4 Sonos speakers (removing the beta Chromecast app completely)---how much impact is that likely to have on the hub (when nothing is going on and during "speaking TTS" periods)?

Is it reasonable to expect that might help?

Thanks!

I don't think it would make a significant difference load-wise either way. Both integrations have minimal impact on my hub, although I have fewer speakers.

1 Like

Same here, Running Version 2.2.8.141

1 Like

same - ONLY on chromecast GROUP device - TTS delay and mp3 playtrack delay for 1-2 min, running 2.2.8.155, @gopher.ny please take a look и почини)

I still have delays. I have alarm and disarm speech. It can be minutes before getting the speech.

1 Like

Anyone figure out a workaround or alternative to using chromecast integration? I have to agree with @dabber, my Fire Alarm warning is pretty useless right now as it is around 4 minutes late before the messages even start to play around the house :frowning:
Thanks in advance for any help or guidance.

It's too sporadic. Sometimes, it works OK, but mostly delayed. I might buy a single Sonos, as I read there is no delay. I don't want to have buy 25 new speakers.

It looks like the issue is fixed since 2.2.9.145. Thank you!

2 Likes

Anybody knows why it shows invalid?

Check your integration and make sure the ip of the device didn't change

I believe this is occurring with a 5.0 rule using hub variables on 2.3.0.xxx.
I think Bruce has said in another thread that it shows as invalid but is actually having no affect to the functioning of the rule.
I had this and re-wrote a 5.0 rule to a 5.1 rule and the 'invalid' doesn't show up anymore.
Just some sort of display bug I suppose.

Probably totally wrong, more than likely actually. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the info!

Mine is showing the same thing.

@gopher.ny Hi, new release - 2.3.3.140 - same issue with chromecast integration- group's broadcast stop working again, same symptoms, even worst . Please take a look.