Chromecast initialize

Is there anyway to run the initialize command on the chromecast integration on a specific device? For instance, my tv (TCL Google tv) doesn't always respond, but if I hit the initialize button it does after that. This would cure an issue I'm having triggering lights when my tv changes source.

If the TV device has an initialize command on the device page, it should have the initialize capability in Rule Machine under Run Custom Action. I use this capability in RM to initialize my Google Nest Hub every 30 minutes.

3 Likes

Thanx... Best to use switch or actuator? Or doesn't it matter at that point?

Not sure that it matters. On my google displays (speech device) I dont have that option.

I mean in the rule.... I set this up

Using switch

1 Like

That rule is identical to the one I am using to initialize my Google Nest hubs, so I guess it should work on your tv.

1 Like

Now if I can get them to expose OFF/ON in chromecast devices (my tv) I'll be set. Right now I'm using a virtual switch to trigger a routine on homekit but it's not always reliable.

2 Likes

I'm curious about the same thing - I have 7 ChromeCast devices and and play Pandora through them most of the day (via Samsung tab, tasker, pushover, hubitat RM). I'm curious if running a rule all day to 'initialize' is the best option, but agree it certainly seems necessary. I wonder if there are more efficient methods to keep these synced?

I run initialize every 5 mins... Any longer than that and the system goes to sleep.

1 Like