Child device not being created

I have an inovelli dimmer installed in the bathroom, i would like it to only ramp up to 10% at night.

I have the child device driver installed and created a device called master bath night level.

Now im trying to figure out what to do with it? do i need another app or can i use rule machine for this?

I have asked in the inovelli thread as well but thought a seperate topic was better

In RM (rule machine):

I have a "matching" 2nd Rule for the other half of the day. The Rule is identical except for the dim level. You don't explain how it will turn on, just asking for how to set the level, I believe.. so.. setting the dim value is the answer.

11%20AM

1 Like

I would like it to set that level if the switch is pressed once OR if triggered by motion. I am waiting for the motion sensor so the switch is fine for now.

I thought I had to set a child device for the inovelli and assign it somehow to the dimmer?

This is a copy and paste from the inovelli driver topic:

"That is the purpose of the child devices is to automate your device settings with other apps such as Rule Machine. I have the default local level setup like this: Rule Machine sets the child device to 99% during the day, 50% in the evening, and 10% after 10PM. This way, when someone turns on a light in the middle of the night it doesn't blind them but goes to 10%."

I'm not familiar with Inovelli. But in general, you'll have to pre-set the dimmer to your desired 10%, so next time it's turned on it only goes to 10. I do that with bathroom lights at night with a rule that runs when changing to Night mode, it says setLevel to 3% then turn off after 1 second. Maybe that child device thing is a workaround to this?

1 Like

Possibly, but eric made it sound like it was a sort of default schedule using the child device

After a bit more reading, I have installed the zwave association tool which is needed to associate the child device with the dimmer, thats as far as i got so far lol

I have one Inovelli.. Inovelli NZW31... I'd have more but.. we know about their production grief.

I use the Generic ZWave Smart Driver, using yet another nearly identical Rule as above...

You don't NEED that for the goal of setting the dimmer. It's perfectly legitimate to use, but it's rather 'old style' in the sense that a Hub can do the same thing. It was invented for the pre-hub era where you would associate a specific switch on a wall to a specific other device, like a smart bulb.

Try just building a Rule and see what 'features' are missing... we'll try and help some more then.

1 Like

Thanks @csteele , do you lose any functions when using the Generic driver?

Sorry, totally read your post in reverse.

I used to do this with my bathroom lights too before I had them controlled with a good motion sensor and used the switch more (I had a Dome motion and GE dimmer and LED bulbs that had a long ramp time...it took 4 seconds for my lights to come on in ST). This doesn't work too well for living room or bedroom type areas though. The lights suddenly coming on is a little off-putting. Also, what do you do if the lights are already on? Do the lights just go off on the person in the bathroom?

I only do this when we're going to bed. My wife and I both have virtual switches that we turn on when we're ready. Once both of us have turned on our switch it does the setLevel. If the lights are on, it goes to 3% then off. If they are already off, it goes to 3% then off.

Ah....I see. I assumed your night was like mine (awake and dark out). I use "sleeping" for in bed. :slight_smile: Don't know why I assumed that but yeah, that makes sense then. Yeah, i used to do the same thing with ST since my motion activation was sometimes so delayed. Luckily I didn't have to port that one over. But it is the only way that I've found to do that. The only exception is the GE in-wall motion switch. Even if you don't use the motion part of the switch you can control, through software, the default level of the switch. That's how you control what level the built in motion turns the light on to but it also controls what level the switch uses. But that one usually runs at $60-70 a pop. I'll deal with the bathroom lights flashing thank you very much! lol

1 Like

I did this and seems to be working good. I used conditions instead of restrictions for the time. I'll play more when I get motion sensors

This won't turn them on to 20% if they were previously at 100%. The switch will turn them on to 100% and then they will dim to 20%. That's not giving you a default level with the switch.

yea i just tried it and you are right. hmmmm i think i need to explore the inovelli method some more

I was wrong in needing the zwave association tool. Scratch that.

If i have this right, the inovelli driver for the dimmer can create child devices, used for setting default levels, 1 for turning on from physical switch and 1 from being turned on by zwave. you need the child device driver installed, then you select these options in the dimmer driver, it then creates the child devices for you. I'm close but it is telling me it cannot create the child devices because im missing the child device driver but i do have it installed.... I have tagged @ericm hopefully he can respond

You have to install the parent first because the child driver will reference the parent driver. Can't save them in your hub the other way around. It will error out on you.

If I understand correctly the inovelli dimmer driver is the parent driver. It has the ability to create child devices

This is the code from the dimmer driver that creates one of the child devices

if (enableDefaultLocalChild && !childExists("ep8")) {
try {
addChildDevice("Switch Level Child Device", "${device.deviceNetworkId}-ep8",
[completedSetup: true, label: "${device.displayName} (Default Local Level)",
isComponent: true, componentName: "ep8", componentLabel: "Default Local Level"])
} catch (e) {
runIn(3, "sendAlert", [data: [message: "Child device creation failed. Make sure the device handler for "Switch Level Child Device" is installed"]])
}

And here is the first lines of code in the child device driver, it seems like the titles match but for some reason its not picking it up

metadata {
definition (name: "Switch Level Child Device", namespace: "erocm123", author: "Eric Maycock") {
capability "Switch Level"
capability "Actuator"
capability "Switch"
capability "Refresh"
}