Cheap contact sensor

Not to confuse things, @ogiewon, that looks like you're running an MQTT server on another machine like I am.

2 Likes

Nope, all on the same machine... Just a RPi 4 - 4GB booting directly from a USB-SATA SSD drive. It was my first time stumbling through the myriad of guides I found online. So, while it works, there may be even simpler solutions/settings than what I have. I am not going to touch it, as it seems to work, though! :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, that's the one I posted before. You should be able to get it going by following his guide almost exactly if you're running the broker in HA. And things look slightly different now in the latest HA build, but you can click on the kebab at the top right and switch to editing in YAML. Then it will look like he's showing in the video. For external, I needed to take out the port number. This was a tip I got from reading a thread of people experiencing "502 Bad Gateway". That worked for me.

But let's not confuse this with the video, which is showing you how to set this up with the mosquito broker on HA, versus what I have configured, which is an external broker.

Correct. You need that line adapter: deconz but you don't want the deconz software. You just need that there becase it's a ConBee 2 stick. If you leave that out, it won't work.

2 Likes

Also @danabw, make sure ZHA is not enabled. The documentation says they can run in parallel, but that was not my experience at all. I was continuing to get "502 Bad Gateway" errors when I tried to open the Web UI, until I disabled ZHA and restarted the z2m integration.

2 Likes

I don't see an obvious way to do this...I don't have a ZHA add-in, and didn't actively enable it at any point....how do I check if it is enabled and the disable if I need to.

1 Like

That's what I based my install on, it was very helpful.

If you never installed it, it won’t be there. Just making sure, as you mentioned in an earlier post that you had HA running already. So please disregard.

1 Like

Same. Struggle… struggle… struggle… Oh it’s working! Stop :joy:

2 Likes

LOL...

Tried @ogiewon's server setting (the 1883 port) just for S&G's, but no joy.

Thinking maybe I could try removing the mosquito broker and zigbee2mqtt from HA and add them back again...running out of logical things to try (not that I'm usually very logical). :wink:

My advice for a first time HA user would be to simply run the HAOS image on a RPi. That will at least get things going with the least amount of trouble. Once you've "mastered" that piece of the puzzle, you could try installing Supervised HA on Debian if that is your targeted platform.

1 Like

I'm not sure what I would "master" w/a full HAOS approach that would help me w/the getting the HA Supervisor approach working. Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but it seems like there is a setting/config I'm missing (or don't have properly set) to get HA Supervisor running, and it doesn't seem like getting HAOS running first would help much w/figuring that out?

Make sense? I would prefer not to dedicate a pi to HAOS, as I have other things I want to do w/the P4/8GB that I'm using for this...

1 Like

Oh, I totally agree with where you're trying to get long-term. What I was proposing was at least gaining familiarity with getting the Zigbee2MQTT running, without any worry that the installation of HA Supervised on Debian is somehow the issue... Just trying to break the problem down into simpler, more manageable chunks to digest and learn. Heck, I think I installed HAOS at least 4 times (first on a RPi 3B+ twice, then a RPi 4 on microSD, and finally on RPi 4 on SATA SSD.) I can't imagine what it'd be like trying to install it on a full blown version of Linux, as I am not a Linux SME whatsoever. Most of my professional career has been with Real-Time operating systems and MS Windows. :wink:

1 Like

OK, thanks, I get it from that perspective.

I guess I have to decide how much time/energy I want to dedicate to zigbee2mqtt vs. ZHA...I have a feeling I'm going to "settle" for starting w/ZHA and if that works for my needs, then I may stick w/that. Some are born to be wild, I was born to be lazy... :wink:

1 Like

I ran ZHA for a while as it really was simple to setup. I don't use Home Assistant for anything critical in the house, it is more just something else to learn and play around with. Recently, I wanted to make sure I had a viable replacement Zigbee vibration sensor for my 8 year old original SmartThings Multi sensor on my mailbox. It had started acting up, so I decided to buy my first Aqara device, their vibration sensor. Since it would not play nicely with all of my existing Iris 3210-L outlets/repeaters, I decided to pair it with Home Assistant. It paired fine with ZHA communicating to my "Tube" Ethernet Zigbee TI-CC2652 Coordinator. But I figured I had heard so many good things about Zigbee2MQTT, why not give that a try as well. I was able to rebuild my tiny HA Zigbee mesh network fairly quickly, once I figured out how to install Mosquito MQTT broker, install Zigbee2MQTT AddOn, set the Zigbee channel in some configuration.yaml file, learned how to pair devices, etc... Definitely a much steeper learning curve than what one has to learn for Hubitat, Hue, or SmartThings. I do like the Zigbee MAP feature, and the fact that I can force a device to pair via a specific Zigbee router device (both are also possible with ZHA!)

1 Like

I'll be home in 2 hours. And setup z2m on my HA supervised setup, and post the details. Right now my z2m is on a different computer.

3 Likes

:+1: :+1: :+1:

I have brought two, done the firmware change, and added them to Hubitat.
I have readded some sonoff sensors and so far they haven't dropped off.

Anything else I should do? Unplug all other mains-powered devices for a while?
I have also brought an Xbee but won't arrive for a while so I can check the mesh map

1 Like

Not as long as everything is working. Zigbee will adjust on its own.

I have a question here... when you guys are talking about dry contact sensors... are you really talking about the magnet/reed relay thing as shown above? I thought a dry contact sensor would be a device where you connect your own NO or NC device to it ... that is what I am looking for... a device that I can connect some of my own reed relays to and signal the closure to Hubitat....

We were just talking about cheap contact sensors, but I have seen something like what you’re looking for in the forum somewhere. Try searching for something like “reed relays”, or “using/importing wired contact sensors into Hubitat”.