Cheap/bulk Water/Leak Sensors?

No! I have searched far and wide for the ST sensors too. I suspect the sudden absence of those and the motion sensors (which I also really like) is a result of their decision to focus on software and service rather than hardware.

It looks like that the SmartThings Hardware (all made by Samjin IOT) have been moved/sold/taken over by Aeotech. See: Samsung+Aeotech announcement.

I really really hope this means Aeotech maintains the Samjin hardware/sensors, and doesn't replace them all with their z-wave only devices. I "assume" that is the case as that hub is very zigbee heavy, and honestly that's important to maintain compatibility with the route Alex has gone.

I honestly don't care about zwave v.s. zigbee as my two meshes are solid, but I personally think the Samjin sensors are the best sensor hardware and reliability out there.

I like Aeotec sensors but they don't have the simple elegance (and low price) of the Samjin devices... I wonder if Samjin will start selling their own?

1 Like

I'm also in search of water sensors after not finding the Samsung sensors available. I was looking at the Dome sensor but I read some poor reviews in other thread posts. @SoundersDude, have you had any problems with them dropping off or resetting after they were wet?

I'm hoping that there might be some sales around Black Friday (possibly at The Smartest House).

I haven't had them resetting after wet, but to be honest they've only gotten wet a few times. Once for real with a real leak and the others me just testing.

So given my needs, I do recommend them, just not the price. I'm happier with the SmartThings ones even though they churn through batteries much faster.

The issue I did once have is them just completely dropping off of my network and i had no idea.
I then realized the issues was the same issue I've had with other sensors (even more door lock) where sometimes you never get a battery is low alert.

Something like reporting 80% batter for 9 months straight then boom, dead.

To solve for that (and other sensors), I run @bptworld's awesome Device Watchdog app in "activity mode" which runs every morning at 1:30am for me and tells me if a device has not reported back to the hub within the last 2 days (48 hours).

I've found numerous sensors I thought were humming along nicely, no longer connected due to battery (or rarely, lost off of my meshes).

(I also use his app to set a "battery activity" as well to alert me daily if any batteries are below 50%)

Hard to beat the ThirdReality Zigbee sensors for solid value and performance. I tested Zooz and some others in the $20 range and they stunk. ThirdReality have been rock solid and right in that $20 spot. I've mentioned this in several places; hopefully the admins don't think I'm some kind of shill! :grimacing: Just happy with the result is all. I have some Aeotec 7's but those are like $50 each, so they fall out of the "cheap bulk leak sensor" range.

3 Likes

Linkind Water Leak Detectors?

1 Like

Linkind Water Leak Detectors?

Hadn't seen those, thanks for the link. With the $3 coupon, that puts these way down at $13.

With the AAA batteries and audio alarm, looks like these function similar to the ThirdReality ones I've been touting. I'm going to get a 4 pack and see how they work.

I also notice that they have a low cost contact sensor that looks pretty nice. Might be a good company to start following!

1 Like

Cool! Yeah I just did the same as well..

edit: Literally JUST delivered! Such service! (I ordered a few days ago)

1 Like

Interesting. One of the reviews mention the screws on the bottom are the sensor contacts, and they are recessed. I would think getting the version with the dripping attachment (for $1 more) would help. Do you have that?

EDIT: I just read the whole review thread, and I see the recessed contacts is mentioned a bit: Review: ThirdReality Zigbee Water Leak Sensor with 120 dB siren alarm

https://www.amazon.com/THIRDREALITY-Solutions-Available-Individual-Included/dp/B09GYFN8VL

2 Likes

The 4 pack is listed as $54 with a $10 coupon, making them $11 each. I just bought a pack.

3 Likes

Just paired - showed up as a "Generic Zigbee Contact Sensor (no temp)" but changed it to "Generic Zigbee Moisture Sensor" and tested - works great. Alarm is a little weak but thats fine.

edit: battery hasn't reported since the driver change so we'll see..

4 Likes

Same. Phenomenal deal and the build quality and features look about like the ThirdReality ones. Will report back on how these work on Thurs or Fri.

1 Like

I actually didn't know that existed until you just pointed it out. I need another couple dozen to cover every sink, toilet, mech room corners, etc. everywhere so I'll try that style next time. I do prefer high sensitivity, so that little strip of metal is worth it for me. My current six (6) are just the regular $19 one.

The three common complaints where:

1. The recessed screws
  2. No default driver support
  3. A little bigger than some of the small sexy coin sized devices

None of these are really an issue for me.

The screws are really long, close to an inch, and they don't have to be in tight for the cover to be closed tightly, so there is plenty of room to back them out. I backed all three screws out until the metal protrudes past the plastic casing slightly. In my testing, it picked up water instantly with no problem.

The driver was also a non-issue. The Generic Zigbee Moisture sensor does the job perfectly.

Yes, it won't fit under your washer machine, but for all of the common places you want to detect moisture (toilets, sinks, mech rooms, a/c units) it's small enough to fit behind things are be unnoticeable. The Zooz ones that gave me fits were tiny and cute, but they didn't work!

1 Like

Does it report temperature? If it doesn't report something daily, then Device Activity Check can't monitor it for liveliness, and will instead have to depend upon the battery reporting (which I don't prefer).

No it does not appear to... In my case using underneath the sinks it's fine though.

I'm not seeing the 4-pack at Amazon or at the ThirdReality store on Amazon. There is a package of other sensors and a hub, but no sign of the water leak 4-pack or $10 coupon. Anyone have a link?

Its the Linkind not Third Reality sensors..

1 Like

To follow up - battery reported this morning.. showing 100% so not sure if working or not but we'll see over the coming weeks. Not worried at this point...

1 Like

I bought and installed 4 of these sensors about a couple months ago and had my first reported event yesterday. The drain for the wash machine apparently got clogged enough for water to seep through the wall and out the baseboard. If was a small leak that probably would have gone unnoticed, at least for a while. The sensor picked up on the leak immediately and hubitat done the rest. Needless to say, thankful for this sensor! Works great- paired easy, has an audible alarm and is very inexpensive. Right now $13.99 with the $3 discount coupon on Amazon or you can get the 4-pk for $50.99 with the $3 discount coupon.

3 Likes