Cheap alternative to minimotes

If you can even find them they are very expensive.

Just got one of these and it works well albeit not rechargeable like minimotes.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B093SLYJSV?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

But they are only 20 bucks on amazon.

There is a good custom driver by

Tuya Scene Switch TS004F", namespace: "kkossev", author: "Krassimir Kossev", importUrl: "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/kkossev/Hubitat/main/Drivers/Tuya%20TS004F/TS004F.groovy", singleThreaded: true ) {

To pair it

1. Remove battery for 20 secs. To.make it reset.

2. Put hub in zigbee pairing mode.

3. Pair device near hub... Hold down button.4 for about 10-15 seconds until light starts flashing.

4 Likes

Looks promising. Have you had it long enough to know if it eats batteries on HE?

Been using mine for over a year no problems. I believe it takes the same battery as most garage door openers. That's nice because you can buy local and not worry about the typically Amazon battery BS.

1 Like

Only sort of a "replacement", as we obviously can't include/exclude z-wave devices-which was the best minimote feature. I have a moe's 3 button remote and it works very well. Also a 4 button Moe's , not yet connected

2 Likes

Picos? I mean they're only around $15 each

Picos are much bigger if memory serves me.

Way smaller

1 Like

Has anyone tried this one? Only $11. Something must be bad about it, right?
Sengled Button Controller

Not loved too much here...

1 Like

Yeah, I didn't want to rain on this parade but Pico is much smaller/sleeker, probably way more reliable long term, though you have to factor in the cost of a Lutron hub. Picos are currently $19 on Amazon...they used to be closer to $12! (I did just pick up an open-box on eBay for $14.) Picos are still by far (for me) the go-to button device for HE.

1 Like

excited american horror story GIF

1 Like

still prefer the recharcheable minimotes.. i have a few still working

3 Likes

It LOOKS GREAT, but it's a total POS, and I own 2, both failures. As I said zero button travel so it's almost impossible to know if it's actuated. And the button design is a total failure, as without any travel, buttons often don't actuate, especially button 1.
Sengled replaced it after 4 emails, which took forever to get a response. The brand new replacement is bad too, it's a design failure. Did I mention the battery dies in about 6 weeks, with no use? On 2 different hubs, one of the hubs with only an outlet and this remote, all in the same small room.

Be my guest, you have 30 days to decide for yourself. I wouldn't take it if it were free. That's how I got suckered, with a low price.

2 Likes

I have pico's over 10 years old I've never changed the battery in and they work fine.

2 Likes

We have 4 in use. They are still on the original batteries and I recharge them on the first of the month. I think I bought them in 2016 or 2017.

How about this one? $25+shipping, so not the cheapest, but certainly not the most expensive.
Hank Z-Wave Plus Four Button Scene Controller HKZW-SCN04 - The Smartest House

1 Like

Never used one, but FWIW I have a couple Hank Z-Wave plugs and they are the best repeaters I've ever had on my mesh. So I do love the Hank brand... :slight_smile:

Older thread but seemed OK.

2 Likes

I have 4 of these and they work perfectly. I don't know why anyone else has had a bad experience with them.

2 Likes

I have 5 Zooz ZEN34 remote switches and they seem to work great. It is just two buttons, but with a bit of magic with button controller they can increment through scenes.

So far the battery usage has been pretty good as well. I haven't replaced the batteries in any of them and some have been active for over a year.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.