Changing ISP

[quote="aaiyar, post:20, topic:85025"]

My, you have an active imagination!

Huh? It’s happening every day. For example:

I know because they told me so, I just didn’t tell them it wouldn’t work. :slight_smile:

Where's your evidence that Google, FB, and Amazon are selling data to malicious actors?

1 Like

Wow, quite a bit to unpack there.

I would also like to see even one reference from a reliable source to back up the assertion that google, Facebook Amazon and anyone else in that “et al” group sell user data to malicious hackers.

Respectfully, that sounds like some kind of conspiracy theory, and I’m not sure how the link you posted that listed large ransomware attacks is related.

Furthermore, even if your ISP decided to engage in criminal activity, and sell information directly to other criminals that would use that info to attempt ransomware attacks, I don’t see how that’s a threat to your hub. How would the ransomware get installed and executed on the hub? Is that even possible? I’m not a developer so that’s not a rhetorical question.

I’m also curious to know more about what you refer to as a penetration attempt by your ISP. What kind of router do you have, and what did the router report when this penetration attempt occurred?

2 Likes

I mean to be fair any device connected to the net "could" be hacked. I doubt very much that anyone is going to attempt to even create ransomware that could run on hubitat. And "if" they targeted hubitat users likely while those users would be annoyed, they simply would reset the hub and re pair devices. Those with Hub Protect would be better off because they could restore z-wave from cloud. Yeah... Unlikely anyone is gonna do anything as @bbbnnn thinks. As a network engineer and someone who does network security, I just don't see the interest. Again not saying it couldn't be done, but why bother?

1 Like

Agreed!

Unlike Windows systems where the operating system is ubiquitous and well documented, the Hubitat is closed source. It is likely to be based on some version of Linux, as are many home automation devices. Linux is the OS of choice when security is critical. That is why most Internet servers are based on some flavor of Linux. That even includes the routers and network switches we have in our own homes.

In order to hack Hubitat, someone would have to take the time to reverse engineer the firmware. While it could be done, just as the BIOS software of early personal computers was reverse engineered to break the monopoly on the critical software; but it would be a huge effort. Since Hubitat Elevation is a niche product, it is unlikely that anyone would undertake such effort.

Hackers tend to target Windows computers because there are more than a billion in use around the world. Amazon Alexa devices might be another prime target as there have been over 100 million sold. Targeting Hubitat devices would be more difficult, and less lucritave.

That's been done already I believe to google.....It was from a bad programming error and the hack was unintentional as it was a freely open port for chromecast originally but google ignored the report on the hack. So the researcher started flooding the internet with a video saying "Your google device is vunerable and I've now turned up the volume on this video to get your attention" . It played for a while. Google tried blocking it but was unsuccessful. Within hours they started pushing out a patch for it. (I think that's what happened a few years back will have to look it up now)