Changing ISP

Hello, I'm new to Hubitat so I need some help. I'm switching my ISP form cable to TMobile. I'm not sure how to go about that. I set a static address on the cable network. How do I change the IP on the hub to a new IP on my new router?
I've set a new static IP on the router. But can't find the hub.
Here's what I have... TMobile router with a Tenda ac2100 connected. All static IPs are set on the Tenda.
Thanks in advance for your help,
Art

Easiest place to start is to try finding the hub by entering hubitat.local into a browser.

It's showing the old IP address. I changed the ith IP in the Hub network settings and saved it. Rebooted both router and hub. I still see the old IP address. On find hub.com I used the mac address to find the hub....Stil old IP address.

Try looking in the attached devices list on your router, if you don't see the MAC there you could try entering

arp - a

from a command prompt and see if the MAC shows up there.

Nothing on either. I tried reconnecting to the old ISP router and now it won't connect either. It tries to connect to the new address. But find hub shows the old address.

The IP address on find.hubitat.com is cached, so it takes time to catch up. My suggestion is remove the IP reservation from your router and reset the hub's networking settings. Allow the DHCP server to assign a new IP to your hub, then once you are able to gain access to your hub via new IP, then set the static IP.

1 Like

That's what I was going to say... Go back to DHCP until you can find it on the new router, then change it to static again.

3 Likes

On Registered hubs it now shows a completely new IP address. In network settings, it shows the IP I was trying to set it to. this new IP is not on my routers. I have a 192.168 and this is 127.0.0

Got your ticket. Your hub connected to the cloud from 127.0.0.1, and it appears to be online. I would make sure that the device you are trying to access the hub is connected to the same network segment as the hub (i.e. same subnet).

Are you using a combined cable modem/router supplied by your cable company? If so you will have to return it when you discontinue service. Your new router will have to be set up from scratch.

I have cable Internet, but I own my own cable modem and router, which is separate from the modem. If I were to go with 5G Internet, I could get a 5G modem and connect it to my existing modem without any of the local IP addresses changing.

One program I have used to identify IP addresses on my LAN is "Advanced IP Scanner". It is freeware. Tell the scanner to scan all the IP addresses in the subnet of your router. In my case it is 192.169.1.1 - 254. The program will list all of the devices connected to your LAN. In some cases, the manufacturer will be listed. Unfortunately, Hubitat is not identified on my scan, so I have to match up the MAC access of the hub to identify the IP address.

You should also have the capability of scanning all of the IP addresses within the interface of your modem if you have administrator privileges on the router. You will need admin privileges to set the Hubitat IP address to static. If you have other home automation devices that use WiFi, be sure to set their IP addresses to static as well.

Not directly related to the OP, But, if I change ISP but keep my current router (since I own it) shouldn't everything Stay the same? The only difference is where the data into the router is originating from?

Absolutely, that is why I always want to own my own router. I also like the option of upgrading the router whenever I feel like it will be beneficial to do so. Over the years, I have had WiFi G, N, AC and now AX routers.

2 Likes

Yes. I have a new ISP and I'm trying to switch devices to it. I also added my own router to it (which I'm adding the devices too). Most add ok But I'm having trouble with Hubitat. Now It's has a cloud address from the router I'm trying to replace.

Dumb question perhaps but...

I'm changing to a new ISP that I trust even less than the old one. (long story) I'd like to be sure that my HE<---->Internet traffic is an enigma to my ISP. Is this the case by default or do I need to use a hardware VPN or something? Not a VPN into my LAN to manage the hub, but a commercial VPN to obscure traffic like I run on pc's etc. Thanks!

Depends what you mean, exactly.

Without a VPN, your ISP could see that there is traffic between your home’s IP address and Hubitat’s cloud servers.

But that traffic is encrypted with TLS, so no one can see what is actually being communicated between your hub and Hubitat’s servers in the cloud.

If you’re trying to prevent someone at your ISP from even recognizing that you are connecting to cloud.hubitat.com, then yes you could connect to a VPN server to obscure that.

1 Like

Right! I’d like to do that. So is there any way to install a vpn client on the hub? I guess that’s the question. I’m not a programmer, btw. :frowning:

To hide the fact that you're even connecting to a specific IP address or range of addresses from your ISP (e.g. Hubitat's servers), I believe you'd need to sign up for a VPN service and configure your router to work with it. I don't think there's a way to install a VPN client on the hub itself.

I know you said it's a long story, but can you elaborate a bit on why you think this is necessary?

Edit: I don't think anyone should "trust" their ISP btw. Or really any for-profit corporations, which exist to make money for their owners/stockholders etc. over all other considerations. But my question is more about, "what can your ISP do with the knowledge that you have a Hubitat Elevation hub in your home, that would somehow be detrimental to you?"

3 Likes

One big advantage of Hubitat Elevation is that it does not require an Internet connection most of the time.

1. If you are using devices like Amazon Alexa that require connection with the Amazon servers, then Internet is required. Some other devices fall into a similar category as they only work with a app on your phone.
  2. An Internet connection is required if you wish to monitor the status of your home automation outside your local network.
  3. An Internet connect is required for firmware updates, but you can always connect to the Internet, update your hub, and then unplug the Internet cable from the hub.

You are likely at far greater privacy risk with computers, voice assistants, smartphones, etc. connected to the Internet than you are connecting your Hubitat. If you decide on a VPN to protect the other devices, it will work for your HE as well.

A VPN has both advantage and disadvantages. One such conflict is device location. If you like doing searches of local stores, restaurants, etc. the search engine needs to be able to determine your location. Since a VPN is designed to prevent your location being identified, such searches are spoiled.

1 Like

Good question. One example: ISP sells user IP data to FB, Google and Amazon (et al) who sell data to malicious hackers that target weaknesses to deploy ransomware, etc.

“Greetings Hubitat user: Your hub has been disabled. Unless you send 2 bitcoin to… “

Re the ISP, they have tried to penetrate my router, which blocks such activity, so they failed.

My, you have an active imagination!

:joy:

How do you know this came specifically from your ISP?

1 Like