Change of ISP / Router now zigbee mesh offline

Hi All,

On the 23rd of December my ISP changed and with it came a new router ( Vodafone UK ).
Although I didn't think much of it, today it seems all of my devices have dropped off and I couldn't access my hub via the usual IP address.

Once figured out the new IP address, I logged into the hub where I found a pop up notification to indicate that my zigbee network is offline.
I also noticed that an option to upgrade the Hubitat was available, so I went ahead with it.
Unfortunately, no change there - Zigbee network is still showing as offline and none of the devices/automations work.

I am not sure if important, but although the router has changed - my hubitat remains connected to the network via a Deco S4 device

With the above in mind, I have a few questions please guys:

• Why would the change in wifi/router affect zigbee devices? ( Some are flashed sonoff )
  • How is it possible for everything to continue working for a few days before collapsing?

And most importantly, how do I fix it please? Is there an easy way or do all devices need to be reconnected individually?

Check the channel being using by the 2.4GHz WiFi on the new router. It probably is overlapping with your Zigbee channel and causing interference.

The easy solution is to change the WiFi channel on your router.

1 Like

Thanks @jlv

Believe it or not, my new route doesn't allow channel changes.
Would hanging the zigbee channel on the hubitat work to a similar effect?

Yes but more costly as the devices will take awhile to switch over and some .may need to be re-paired. Don't remove any though they can pair in place and resume there slot.

1 Like

If the mesh is already a mess :grin: then it might not be too much of a hassle to do the channel change on the HE hub.

Use a scanner to figure out which WiFi channel your router is set to. Then set your Hubitat to a zigbee channel that will not be interfered with.

How about if I disable 2.4ghz wifi on the router altogether?

I am predominantly using the Deco in AP mode for wifi and don't heavily relay on the wifi from the ISP provided router.

That would be better assuming it actually does turn off the wifi and not just remove the ssid or something.

Following up on @aaiyar, use a scanner to figure out what 2.4GHz WiFi channels are in use around your place.

What Zigbee channel is your HE using?

1 Like

2.4GHz turned off - no changes.
My currently used hubitat zigbee channel is 11.

Below is the wifi traffic around me:

Any other suggestions guys please?

Try channel 25.

flashed sonoff ... do you mean Tasmota Wi-Fi devices?
Some sort of ip conflict... :thinking: still, shouldn't kill your ZigBee radio.

I've set the zigbee channel to 25 last night - so far nothing reconnected, although I've not had another "zige offline" alert.

Should I reconnect all devices one by one and see how it goes?

Yes - 2 x Tasmota wifi light switches, other than that all zigbee

Shut down your hub from the settings menu. Unplug power to hub (at wall not hub) for 30 mins then power back up and let sit for a few and see if the devices reconnect.

A quick update - I am all back up and running again.

To be honest, I didn't see the suggestion to shut down the hub in time and repaired all devices one by one - in all honesty I haven't got that many so it wasn't too bad after all.

The most problematic devices however were all wifi integration - Kasa bulbs, Sonoff light switches, Samsung tv's etc.

The new router must have assigned new IP addresses to them all ( I guess that's expected? ) so I had to pretty much remove them all, reinstall and update all automations.

I know someone will probably tell me that there would have been a much quicker way to get there, but I am happy either way.

It's early days, but I think the suggestion to change the channel to 25 made my automations a little quicker too, thanks!

Thanks for all your help!

You want to go into the new router and set a DHCP reservation for each and every wifi based iot device as well as hubitat. This way you'll know where everything is and more importantly hubitat will know where everything is because nothing can be changed when a lease runs out.

1 Like

Yes, Sir - thank you!
One more question if you don't mind...

My internet is currently set up like this:

Router --> Deco S9 --> 2 x Deco S9 - basically, I am using wifi from the Deco mesh, not the router itself.

With that in mind, should i set the reservations on the router or the Deco's which are serving as AP's?

The router serves your DHCP not the deco's. If for some weird reason they are serving dhcp, I would encourage you to turn DHCP server off on those units and let the router handle it.

1 Like

Ideally you'd want your ISP to supply you with a modem only and control your LAN (router etc.) completely separate from their equipment.
I mean, it is yours after all. :slight_smile:
Then any ISP changes in the future won't cause any further disruptions.

2 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon