Challenge - Explain How Your Lighting Works In A Room To a Guest

When asked by my teenager guest how/why the automated light should (isn't) working, I floundered to explain even the basics of automation. More of a reflection on me... I hope....

Would be interested to hear the experiences of other who have tried to explain their setup to others...

As a hobbiest it's easy but if I have guests, the switches still work the same as a dumb house... So usually don't have to talk much about it.

6 Likes

I did end up in the situation where I had it being suggested that we just use the dumb switches for a night or two.... Ah, yes, that is also an option.... :slight_smile:

Just enable a guest mode where guest room and guest bathroom are manual for the most part (but bathroom goes off after 20 mins of inactivity in case they have a habit of leaving the light on)

5 Likes

Yeah... likely the solution... for the once in a 6 year event, I'm a little reluctant to put too much into it.... though may have a few more instances in the next 12 months. No guest bedroom or bathroom here, one bathroom and the guest bedroom is my Study I sit in most nights...

1 Like

We have a no sensor policy when it comes to guest spaces. Smart switches for overhead lighting. Hue bulbs with two button picos for lamps.

For everything else, I just tell them that lights will go on and off automatically, change color throughout the day, and do other things. Just ask if you have questions. The catch is that I have smart switches tied to the Hue bulbs so there is always manual control and guest can’t really screw it up.

1 Like

It's all magic.

2 Likes

Bwahhahahaaa!

2 Likes

I use Lutron Clear Connect light switches throughout my house. Other than reliability, the reason I made that choice is that the lights (including PICO remotes) will continue to work normally even if the Lutron Pro bridge and Hubitat is off line. Thus, everything works normally.

I do have a few Phillips Hue light bulbs. They usually work through the automation, but they can still be turned off and on at the lamp switch if the automation fails.

Bingo. Smart tech should appear dumb, with a little magic hidden behind the scenes.

If you have to explain it, you're doing it wrong IMHO.

Yup, same here. All works like people would expect if anything fails. Main floor bathroom is on motion but there is still a switch. Freaks people out when the kitchen all slightly dims in sync around sunset.

There are the advanced features like dimming, multiple button taps, etc... but none is required for standard operations.

I do however like to talk about (brag about the cool stuff), but most people are not very interested :frowning:

1 Like

This is mostly my setup as well, motion-based lighting with manual overrides. The problem came about when I tried to change things on-the-fly.... Nothing could go wrong .. :slightly_smiling_face:

I'm blah blah blah boring as well, mostly motion lighting with manual overrides available via smart wall switches everywhere.

One of my sons likes the light turning on but always wants to turn it off when he leaves the room. Makes him happy, doesn't cause any issues. :slightly_smiling_face:

The most fun I have with visitors with automations continues to be the LED strip hidden under the kitchen cabinets kick plate that turns on red when the cooktop or toaster oven is turned on and off when they are turned off. Always a crowd pleaser. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I really need to get some LED lights above and/or below my cabinets. I have one ZEN31 for testing but there are two cabinet sections, so I would need potentially 4 controllers for it all...

Isnt that annoying to have the RED light the entire time you are cooking?

1 Like

Can you please explain how you do this?
Do you plug the toaster into a power monitoring plug for that info, and have a smart cooktop? Which cooktop?

Me to Guest:
Anything that turns on automatically will also turn off automatically. [They figure out or ask about the lights that they control at a switch]
Met to Overnight guests:
The above as well as: Please don't unplug the plug in motion detector in the guest hall; it is not a cam, it is a nightlight and motion detector, and controls the delivery of fresh air to the guest area.

My light automations in the overnight guest area are suspended when I put the house in Overnight Guest mode.

Alexa now has Skill Blueprints, and one of them is actually designed to do exactly that.

Funny you should ask...the main problem we have is ignoring/not noticing it and leaving a burner on after we're done cooking. :slight_smile: I have the automation set up to make the LED strip brighter during the day and reduce the level in the late afternoon/evening so it's not annoying at all. Has never bothered us, and actually sort of looks cool when it comes on as the cooktop or toaster oven are turned on. We get a fair amount of "Oh cool, what's that?!" from friends and family. :slight_smile:

Details are here, useful topic to read through for other approaches as well. My approach is very cooktop-specific, likely would not work on very many setups.

The toaster oven is on a power reporting plug.

They never ask questions.

3 Likes