Cell data traffic

My application uses a cell modem for the upink to the the web. I do not have any other communication, only cell circuit.

I notice high usage so Im trying to find the data hog.

I removed anything off the network, only the HE is plugged into the hub, and the cell modem.

When I unplug the HE, I did not see any traffic on the network, when I plug in the HE in the hub, I notice random traffic.

I do not have any cloud services. Nothing causing notification at the time I notice the trafiic on the network. The HE is sending and/or receiving data I assume to the hubitat server.

The question is why? And if so, what can be done to minimize traffic.

I do understand when an update is required. I also understand when a notification is sent.

Is there any section within the HE I can manage the traffic.

Thanks in advance

It still goes to amazon servers for dashboard connectivity and to monitor for updates. The only thing you could do is block it at the cell modems internal rules.

not good, maybe I'm using the wrong product for my application. I need to manage the traffic.

I'm use to SCADA application using protocol such as MQTT, push only when data changes. Maybe a heartbeat once a day for health checks, other than that no traffic is being used. The MQTT SACDA cell app gets data from the MQTT broker, not the end device in this case the HE/devices.

Apparently HE the data exchange is depended on the amazon server to transfer the data between the hubitat app and the HE

The hub can work totally offline you just lose a few features, one of which would be the cloud dashboards. You can still use local dashboards if the hub is not allowed to get online.

So if you can firewall it from getting out, in a way you could enable it easily for updates, that would stop the traffic.

Might also try disabling the cloud dashboard setting in the dashboard child app, see if that helps.

2 Likes

Only if the app and the hub are not in the same LAN.

2 Likes