Caseta needing neutral

I need help with what seems like a bad Christmas gift I just gave my dad. At my house I've got an HE7 and Lutron Bridge Pro with a few Caseta dimmers. My dad's house, however, has no smart technology at all (no hubs, no switches, no outlets, etc. -- My dad doesn't even have a smart phone). For Christmas, I decided to get my dad a non-dimming Caseta switch for his front porch light and a Pico to keep in his truck so that he can turn the porch light on and off when he arrives/leaves home after dark. I figured it would be a great gift since this simple arrangement doesn't require any hub, app usage, etc. And since I've installed several Casetas at my own house, I know that the Caseta doesn not require neutral. This is great because my dad has an older house without neutrals at the switches. Unfortunately, I was extremely disappointed to find out that the non-dimming Caseta I've given my dad requires a neutral wire. Upon doing some research, I was shocked and saddened to learn that the non-dimming (just two-button on/off) Casetas require neutrals. I now feel extremely crappy because I don't know if I can salvage this gift in any way which means my dad, effectively, didn't get anything for Christmas. So I'm looking for any help/suggestions that the community can provide. Specifically, I would like to know the following questions:

1. Are there any non-dimming Casetas that don't require neutrals?

2. My dad's light fixture has never had a dimming bulb in it. Can simply install a dimming bulb in the existing fixture and a dimmable Caseta (I could just grab one tomorrow from HomeDepot) with no neutral and be good to go? (I don't know if the fixture needs to be "dimmable" rated).

Any other suggestions would also be appreciated. Thanks!

Yes.

2 Likes

It really depends on the exact model # and the type of lighting load you want to control. Lutron has a lot of detailed information on their website to help you select the right device for your needs.

1 Like

Wouldn't you still need a Lutron hub? How would the Pico connect to the switch?

Non-dimming switches can't work without a neutral, as the way that dimmers bypass the need for a neutral wire is by leaving a small trickle of electricity flowing all the time. If you substitute a dimmer for the on/off Caseta, this will work just fine though. Just get a dimmable bulb.

1 Like

No. Picos can be paired directly to Caseta switches and dimmers (and lamp dimmers).

1 Like

This is true. However, there is one notable exception. Lutron does make a no-neutral switch in the Caseta line. This makes use of an MLC that is installed at the load.

https://www.amazon.com/Lutron-PD-5WS-DV-WH-Wireless-Wall-Switch/dp/B00NO7Z80S/

And so cheap too! That's really cool, but man do Lutron prices get nuts when you look at specialty devices. :sweat_smile:

Also not required 100% of the time. I have a couple bathroom vanity lights that are working fine with the PD-5WS-DV, no neutral, no LUT-MLC. Lutron really knows their stuff.

1 Like

:rofl:

Thanks for the help, everyone. From your responses, I've gathered that tomorrow morning I'll run to the local big-box, buy a Caseta dimmer switch and any dimmable bulb, and install them both. I don't need to change the light fixture. My dad won't like the busyness of the 4- or 5-button Pico (depending on which dimmers they have in stock) since he only cares about off and 100% on, but it seems like the only option. At least it will work. Thanks for the help!

1 Like

In general, any dimmable bulb will work. However, not all dimmable bulbs are equivalent, and Lutron has an extensive database with recommended LED bulbs.

1 Like

I see this on amazon...unfortunately if I ordered it now it wouldn't arrive before my annual Christmas visit ends. I wish I would have noticed this back when I bought the other Lutron two-button that requires neutral. The price on this model is high, but I would have done it.

Iā€™m not sure how this works without a hub, but I suspect you can still use the 2-button pico with the dimmer switch.

2 Likes

@Ohwamo
You definitely can. I know because I used to do this.

1 Like

Ok. Good to know. Then that's what I'll do. Rather than returning the two-button switch and Pico I'll pair the Pico with the new dimmer switch and take the two-button switch back home with me. Like many of us on here, I can always find a place to install another smart switch at my house. :slight_smile: This really isn't that bad of a solution at all.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.