Capturing Text Messages

New to HE but not to HA :slight_smile:

Both my cars report by text message when they leave/arrive a geofenced area around the house.

I would like to be able to capture these messages and be able to put the heating on to get it up to temp before we get home.

At the moment the geofence will give me about 30 mins which is enough to lift the house by 1 degree C, so may add another geofence that gives the house an hour to get the temp up.

How can I do this in HE, I do have an Android phone, without a SIM card if that helps at all.

Also I have iPhones etc so could capture the text message and fire off a shortcut at the HE App?

Any ideas

What method is your car using to send text messages? Is it an app that's sending notifications or is is truly sending text messages?

If it's an app and notifications, this could probably be achieved using Tasker app ($4 on Google Play Store) on your Android phone.

Check out this thread for how to do it:

If it is actually text messages, you're going to need a phone with SIM card and a data plan to use Tasker in similar method.

1 Like

Twilio supports the ability to accept a SMS and then it can call a URL and pass details to it. Obviously you would need to build in security so any random text isn’t launching your automation. You could create something there to then call a MakerAPI URL to turn on a switch as an example.

1 Like

Thanks!!!

Actually I have been in lockdown since March and the cars are going anywhere :slight_smile:

But as I recall, I get an iOS notification - suspect something similar in Android, an actual text message and an email.

This is not an urgent thing at all.

It is a nice thing to have.

I got HE Christmas Eve,

Got :-
Hue up and running with the Motion Sensors using the great cocohue app
Zwave Thermostat tested
Pioneer AVR
Zwave TRV tested
Ikea zigbee light natively into HE
Greenwave Zwave sockets
TKBHome sockets
Hue Motion natively
Thermostat Controller/Scheduler tested
Sonos tested
HE messages to mobile devices tested

Next the dreaded Secure SSR302 - if I can't get this working HE's role will be massively diminished, I really want to use HE to manage the 14 zone heating and hot water systems

@stephen_nutt will Tasker run on Amazon tablets? I have a large number of these around the house as Room Displays/Controllers

Will definitely check out the EUFY thread - I have 7 EUFY cameras and a Doorbell so if at all possible would like to get those under HE too

Thanks for the ideas - very much appreciated!!!!

Looks like I may be in luck with other ways, thanks for your ideas - gives me ideas about other hard to reach devices.