Capture and Restore

I am having difficulty with capture and restore. I have a Rule that when my smoke/CO detector alarms (this is sensed by a water sensor that I tied into a relay on my smoke alarm interconnect) the following takes place: Door Unlocks, Text Messages get sent, all the lights in the house turn on. This part of the rule works 100% and never fails. What I can't get working is to have the lights return to their before alarm state once the alarm shuts off.

I have tried the following:

1. Within the rule that causes the door to unlock, text messages sent, and all lights to turn on; I also had the rule capture the state of the lights, I select restore captured devices for actions when false. This does not work. It never restores the lights to their original state and all the lights stay on when the state turns to false. I thought maybe the hub needed some time to capture the state before the rule turned all the lights on, so I added a three second delay before the rule turned all the lights on. Figured this would be enough time for the rule to capture the state and then be able to restore afterwards. This does not work.
  2. Create One rule for the door to unlock, text messages sent, and all lights to turn on after three seconds. Create another rule to capture the state of all lights and then restore. (Both rules are based on the Smoke/CO Alarm, True when Alarm is Alarming, False when alarm is off). This combination of two rules works better, but not perfect. Most lights go back to their original state, although some that were initially on go off.

Any advice would be appreciated. Wondering if three seconds is not enough time for the hub to capture the states of the switches? Note: All lights are controlled by GE/Jasco Zwave Plus switches and dimmers.

Trying to do something similar, did you ever find out how to make capture and restore work?

Capture and Restore have to be in the same rule. For Capture, specify the devices to capture. Presumably these are on opposite legs of an IF-THEN-ELSE, or before and after some intervening event. Explain more what you are trying to do.

I have a rule that when my Schlage lock is unlocked that a torchlight turns yellow until the door is relocked (by hand). Currently I have another rule that when it is relocked it turns that torch off. Works great but, with lights on I'd like to be able to return it to prior setting.

Like this:

Trigger:  Lock unlocked
Actions:
   Capture: torchlight
   Set torchlight: yellow
   Wait for event: Lock locked
   Restore: torchlight

Note that Restore autofills the devices selected for Capture.

Thanks so much. I could not figure how or when it captured. Onward! LOL

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.