Can't update software on new C8

So, I am trying to migrate from my C7 to C8. New hub is up and registered. Though it doesn't say to do so in the migration instructions, I though I should update the software on the C8 before trying to restore my cloud backup from my C7 to the C8.

When I try to check for software updates on the C8 I get this message "Currently running version 2.3.4.148. Checking for update". But it never finds an update and returns, it just stays on that screen with that message.

Why won't it update? Do I need to update the C8 software before I perform the restore from my C7?

Have you tried going to the network tools and ping a outside address?

Sounds like it's not connected to the internet or properly getting DNS. If it's been set statically on the hub itself, press the network reset button on the bottom of the hub for 7 seconds with a paperclip or toothpick. (It's the only round hole out of all the square ones). Then you should be able to get your update. Make a reservation in your router for the hub (do not make a reservation AND have a static ip).

If the issue continues, go to yourhubip:8081 and click download latest version. When finished, click restore previous version and the new version will be in the list. Click on and and restore that. On reboot you should be good.

1 Like

Hmmm. Tried the Network tools and the ping of the Gateway and other IP's do not work. Not sure how I can have an IP assigned by my router, see the device on my router, but not be able to ping anything on the same network...

On your router under DHCP settings you should have an area for reservations. You would put an ip in there matched with the MAC address of the hubitat (the MAC is printed on the bottom of the hub)

In the mean time though, press the the network reset switch on the hub as I outlined above.

Performed a Reset on the hub. Same issue. Doesn't seem to be able to get to the internet. I am using an ethernet cable. Maybe I'll try WiFi, and see if anything changes.

Well... its working, but I can't really say why.

Tried connecting by WiFi rather than ethernet, same issue.

Then I decided to add my (old) Hub security name/password to the hub. Rebooted the hub. It immediately said a software update was available. I updated the software. Then I tried to recover my cloud backup, but couldn't find it. I had to re-register the hub (remember, I had reset it). Now the cloud backup appeared and installed without issue.

Don't know if HE just wants the hub secured before it does things like updates, or there was some confusion caused because I had registered the new hub but had not yet set up the security.

Thanks to @Evilborg and @rlithgow1 for their help. Learning that I was not able to connect "out" from the hub was helpful.

1 Like

You only have to register the hub. You don't have to turn on hub security to update or have it get out to the internet.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.