Can't pair Lutron Pico?

Even with the price of the Pro Bridge, the break-even price for picos is very low when compared to other button controllers. Much lower than most people realize.

2 Likes

Depending what's your usage. There's also the Smartthings button.

I have a couple of ERIA AduroSmart Zigbee dimmer controls. Like the Pico remotes they can be mounted in a standard paddle wall plate with the included bracket. You can also just stick them on the wall. They are magnetically attached to their bracket so they are quite convenient.

$20 is not bad either.

1 Like

I only need 1 button - not looking for a whole system

2 Likes

Not for that price--if you get a lot, you'll still come out ahead even with the cost of the Smart Bridge Pro. However, if you only need a few, the Hue Dimmer isn't bad, but it doesn't fit in a standard US decorator plate like a Pico, and some people have had problems with it falling off their network (probably better if you use a channel that is allowed by ZLL, but that's just a guess). The Eria Dimmer is cheaper than that and looks similar and does fit in a standard decorator plate, but I find them less usable because you have to hold a button for what seems like forever before it actually registers as such. I've also had batteries go bad faster than I'd expect in them considering they do nothing unless you press the button and don't even send battery reports.

The Aeon Minimotes were nice after I got them paired to Hubitat (not easily possible in the early days, but better now). However, they look nothing like a switch and don't support released events (so "dim while holding"-type automations aren't possible). You may wish to take a look at this list and see if anything else looks appealing to you: Hubitat Elevation supported button controller capabilities matrix

My experience has been quite satisfactory with the Eria dimmer and I haven't experienced the need for an extended push time so YMMV.

It's not super long, but it's no Pico--trying to use it for "hold to dim" is frustrating for me since it takes about a second or so to register the "hold" and start the level change. I don't know the time on the Hue Dimmer but it seems a lot shorter--and, of course, on the Pico, you can make it instant with the Fast driver if you use push and release for the start and stop commands.

That last thing is really nice. :slight_smile: (And more in line with how one might expect a wall dimmer to operate--think of a smart paddle where you don't have to hold it for very long before it knows you're not just pressing it to turn the lights on/off.)

I did a breakdown. It only takes 8 devices to make the Picos less expensive than the hue dimmer. The break-even point is a little higher with the new price of the Eria dimmer

Does the Eria dimmer fit in a Decora faceplate?

The Eria fits in a standard US decorator plate--and even includes wire nuts to help you do so.

I'm not sure what the "new price" is--it's been a few cents in either direction of $20 any time I've see it on Amazon or in Home Depot, but maybe they had some special introductory promotion (or punishment if they were more expensive, I guess--ha).

I don't understand how....the dimmer comes with a magnetic mount that covers a 1 gang box. It doesn't say that it can fit in a multi-gang box, like the picos. What i mean by "fits in a decora faceplate" is that you can use any faceplate with it so it go in a multi-gang switch box. Unless the magnetic part can be separated from the face, i don't see how that works.

The pico mount can use any standard faceplate so you can mount the pico in a multi-gang switch configuration with other picos or switches. I don't believe the same is possible with the ERIA. That would make it completely unusable in 90% of my situations. I only have 2 picos that aren't mounted with other picos or other switches.

That's basically how it works. The middle plastic (and magnetic) part snaps off the back and exposes screw holes in standard spots, so they can be installed in any gang box like a regular switch or outlet.

1 Like

Okay...so similar to the Pico mounting plate then.

I wonder why they don't show that (I searched and searched)? I can't imagine I'm the first person to assume that about them by looking at the listing online. Seems a real failure of their marketing department to me.

The picos still edge out a win for me when it comes to button controllers. They are so fast and the battery life is so great. And someone else pointed out, I like the fact that you can't take them off the wall. That way they don't get lost.

1 Like

Yeah, I agree, i had two evaluation units hanging around for 6 months before I realized you could take the thing apart and use your own cover plate...

:+1:

2 Likes

This is my Eria Dimmer mounted in a dual box. You just pop off their faceplate and mount their backplate into box and then use a standard decora dual faceplate. Works great so far once I got it paired and looks great. As someone else mentioned, mine takes about 2 seconds to register a hold. The LED blinks green to notify you.

This one handles my living room ceiling fan using Bond controller.

I should explain my use case. I just need an on/off switch to turn on "guest mode"
It doesnt need to mount on a wall and I don't really care if it's super-instant (though that is nice).
I just need something reliable. Frankly it's amazing to me that buttons arent as reliable as like motion sensors or contact sensors. Those seem to work without fail but buttons don't.. what gives? I'm actually thinking of modifying a contact sensor into a button at this point :slight_smile:

Buttons work great. You just have to have the right equipment to support the device that you have. For Pico remotes you have to have the smart bridge pro because the Hubitat Hub doesn't have a radio that works with the Pico. Either that or you need to get a button that is directly supported by Hubitat, like the SmartTings button.

I have a Lightify 4 button remote. It's terrible. Very unreliable. Usually have to press the buttons 5-6 times to register.. and that's SOMETIMES.. at other times it just doesn't register at all.

I hate to point it out but that doesn't mean that buttons don't work with Hubitat. You have just chosen to use a device that is not on the list of supported devices. I think that if you choose one that is, it will work a lot better.

2 Likes

There are a lot of great button options. I like the Pico also since it's portable and they make a nice stand. We use these in several places around the house - usually end tables. With the Pico, if you set it up as a Pushed/Held button, you get up to 10 scenes (5 pushed, 5 held). As also mentioned, you need the SmartBridge Pro. But the Pico's themselves are very affordable.

1 Like