Can't get Leviton Dimmer Module to Dim

This Leviton plug-in dimmer is acting like a switch and not like a dimmer. The bulb is either on or off regardless of dimmer level set. Anyone have any suggestions? See configuration below.

Have you tried the Generic Z-Wave Dimmer driver?

I have...along with 2 other drivers.

I have several of these. They work fine for me with the Generic Z-Wave Dimmer driver on a day-to-day basis, but I have found that you may need first to use the Advanced Z-Wave Device driver to initialize the maximum/minimum dimming levels and set other configuration parameters, which are described in the instruction manual that comes with the device.

I can remember getting at least one of these (maybe others) that had the maximum dimming level preset by the factory to 10, which meant that I could effectively never turn on the light. When I set that configuration parameter back to 100 using the Advanced Z-Wave Device driver and then set the driver back to Generic Z-Wave Dimmer, the device works fine.

EDIT: I think your screenshot above is reflecting the same issue I had with the maximum dimming level preset to 10. You need to fix the maximum dimming level so that it's 100.

How do I reset the maximum dimming level to 100?

@mike.maxwell, do you know where the driver is that lets a user get/set advanced Z-Wave configuration parameters when the default driver doesn't? I have it loaded on my hub at home but am having trouble finding the link here on the community forum. If I'm remembering correctly, you're the author of that special-use driver.

EDIT: I had the wrong name---it's not Advanced Z-Wave Device but Basic Z-Wave Tool: Super basic Z-Wave parameter tool

@glen.blanchard970, I forgot to mention that you also have to set the configuration parameter corresponding to bulb type (incandescent, LED, etc.). Please take a look at the above link and post again if you have follow-up questions on the process.

I have the Basic Z-Wave Tool set up as the driver for this device. Unfortunately, I have no idea what to do next. I apologize for my ignorance.

No need to apologize :slight_smile: It's not a straightforward process the first time you need to go through it.

Once the Basic Z-Wave Tool is set up, you need to select that as the driver for your Leviton dimmer. Let me know if you have questions on this step.

After your Leviton dimmer is using the Basic Z-Wave Tool, you need to check the instruction manual that came with the dimmer for the parameter number, size, and value you want to set, enter those into the Leviton dimmer's device details page in Hubitat, and then click "set". For example, if the manual says that maximum dimming level is parameter X with a size of 1 and values from 0 to 100, you could enter parameter number X (where 'X' is the actual parameter number, which I can't remember), size of 1, and value of 100, then click "set".

If you have a second browser window open with your logs running, you should be able to see this command go out. You can then confirm whether the configuration command was received successfully by the device by using the "get parameter" button to get parameter number X---the value that comes back should be the value that you sent to the device.

You should repeat the above process for each parameter you want to set. Based on what I know of your situation so far, I think this will include maximum and minimum dimming levels of 100 and 0, respectively, as well as the bulb type (incandescent, LED, etc.).

Once you have done all that, you can set the driver back to the Generic Z-Wave dimmer driver, and then your dimmer should work as expected.

Here are the pertinent screenshots:

If I understand correctly, I should do the following:

Enter 3,1,0 in the fields 'parameter number', 'size' and 'value' respectively to set the minimum light level at '0'

Click on 'Set Parameter'

Enter 4,1,100 in the fields 'parameter number', 'size' and 'value' respectively to set the maximum light level at '100'

Click on 'Set Parameter'

Enter 8,1,0 in the fields 'parameter number', 'size' and 'value' respectively to set load type as 'incandescent'.

Click on 'Set Parameter'

Click on 'Save Device"

Change driver back to "Generic Z-Wave Dimmer' and it should work as desired.

Am I close?

Your above understanding looks right. You don't need to hit "Save Device" after you set the parameters---when you hit "set parameter", that sends the Z-Wave command to the device.

You have omitted the "get parameter" steps to check whether the parameters are set successfully. That's fine. You can always circle back to that if things are still not behaving as expected.

Yeah. I'm doing something wrong. The log for the device does not reflect any of these changes and I have gone through the process multiple times. This must be the problem. I see no indication that the parameter changes I make are being communicated to the device.

Additionally, when I click on 'Set Parameter' nothing happens. That is, the numbers just entered into those fields remain there. They don't disappear until I click on "Save Device". I would have thought that the fields would go blank after the parameter settings were accepted by the device following the 'Set Parameter" click.

When your dimmer is using the Generic Z-Wave Dimmer driver and you hit refresh, do you see anything in the logs? How close is the device to your hub?

Also, please note that you should use "Generic Z-Wave Dimmer", not "Generic Z-Wave Smart Dimmer", for this device, as it doesn't send status updates to the hub unless asked. You wouldn't know this, but (so I understand) one of the differences between these two built-in drivers is that the first (non-smart version) gets the device status after setting it, while the second (smart version) just sets it and then waits to hear from the device (which, in the case of this Leviton dimmer, will not happen).

Please humor me by trying this: Unplug your dimmer, plug it in as close as possible to your hub (within 10 feet), and then repeat the configuration process. Does it work now? Since the device was assigned to node number 02, I assume you don't have any other Z-Wave devices set up yet.

Ahem.

Ahem.

Have you ever, a very long time ago, put a bulb in a lamp fixture? Perhaps a bulb type that you almost never use? Perhaps you did this so long ago that you totally forgot about this aberration? Perhaps this bulb has limitations that might come back to haunt you years later?

Yeah. That.

:laughing: I hope this means the problem is solved!

Problem? Solved.

Face? Red like a lobster.

3 Likes

FYI, here's a driver that allows you to use the functions of the leviton, like default level and stuff like that. Not mine but this is the one I use for my Leviton dimmer.

/**
 *  Copyright 2017 Jason Xia
 *  Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except
 *  in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at:
 *      http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
 *  Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed
 *  on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License
 *  for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.
 */
metadata {
    definition (name: "Leviton Decora Z-Wave Plus Dimmer", namespace: "jasonxh", author: "Jason Xia", ocfDeviceType: "oic.d.light") {
        capability "Actuator"
        capability "Configuration"
        //capability "Health Check"
        capability "Indicator"
        capability "Light"
        capability "Polling"
        capability "Refresh"
        capability "Sensor"
        capability "Switch"
        capability "Switch Level"

attribute "loadType", "enum", ["incandescent", "led", "cfl"]
        attribute "presetLevel", "number"
        attribute "minLevel", "number"
        attribute "maxLevel", "number"
        attribute "fadeOnTime", "number"
        attribute "fadeOffTime", "number"
        attribute "levelIndicatorTimeout", "number"

command "low"
        command "medium"
        command "high"
        command "levelUp"
        command "levelDown"

fingerprint mfr:"001D", prod:"3201", model:"0001", deviceJoinName: "Leviton Decora Z-Wave Plus 600W Dimmer"
        fingerprint mfr:"001D", prod:"3301", model:"0001", deviceJoinName: "Leviton Decora Z-Wave Plus 1000W Dimmer"
    }

preferences {
        input name: "levelIncrement", type: "number", title: "In-App Level Increment",
                description: "1 - 100 (default $defaultLevelIncrement)", range: "1..100", defaultValue: defaultLevelIncrement,
                displayDuringSetup: false, required: false

input type: "paragraph", element: "paragraph", title: "Device Preferences",
                description: "The following preferences are configuring the device behaviors. " +
                        "All of them are optional. Leave a preference empty to skip configuring it."

input name: "loadType", type: "enum", title: "Load type",
                options: ["Incandescent (default)", "LED", "CFL"],
        input name: "indicatorStatus", type: "enum", title: "Indicator LED is lit",
                options: ["When switch is off (default)", "When switch is on", "Never"],
        input name: "presetLevel", type: "number", title: "Light turns on to level",
                description: "0 = last dim level (default)\n1 - 100 = fixed level", range: "0..100",
        input name: "minLevel", type: "number", title: "Minimum light level",
                description: "0 to 100 (default 10)", range: "0..100",
        input name: "maxLevel", type: "number", title: "Maximum light level",
                description: "0 to 100 (default 100)", range: "0..100",
        input name: "fadeOnTime", type: "number", title: "Fade-on time",
                description: "0 = instant on\n1 - 127 = 1 - 127 seconds (default 2)\n128 - 253 = 1 - 126 minutes", range: "0..253",
        input name: "fadeOffTime", type: "number", title: "Fade-off time",
                description: "0 = instant off\n1 - 127 = 1 - 127 seconds (default 2)\n128 - 253 = 1 - 126 minutes", range: "0..253",
        input name: "levelIndicatorTimeout", type: "number", title: "Dim level indicator timeout",
                description: "0 = dim level indicator off\n1 - 254 = timeout in seconds (default 3)\n255 = dim level indicator always on", range: "0..255",
    }
}

def installed() {
    log.debug "installed..."
    initialize()
    response(refresh())
}

def updated() {
    if (state.lastUpdatedAt != null && state.lastUpdatedAt >= now() - 1000) {
        log.debug "ignoring double updated"
        return
    }
    log.debug "updated..."
    state.lastUpdatedAt = now()

initialize()
    response(configure())
}

def configure() {
    def commands = []
    if (loadType != null) {
        commands.addAll(setLoadType(loadType))
    }
    if (indicatorStatus != null) {
        commands.addAll(setIndicatorStatus(indicatorStatus))
    }
    if (presetLevel != null) {
        commands.addAll(setPresetLevel(presetLevel as short))
    }
    if (minLevel != null) {
        commands.addAll(setMinLevel(minLevel as short))
    }
    if (maxLevel != null) {
        commands.addAll(setMaxLevel(maxLevel as short))
    }
    if (fadeOnTime != null) {
        commands.addAll(setFadeOnTime(fadeOnTime as short))
    }
    if (fadeOffTime != null) {
        commands.addAll(setFadeOffTime(fadeOffTime as short))
    }
    if (levelIndicatorTimeout != null) {
        commands.addAll(setLevelIndicatorTimeout(levelIndicatorTimeout as short))
    }
    log.debug "Configuring with commands $commands"
    commands
}

def parse(String description) {
    def result = null
    def cmd = zwave.parse(description, [0x20: 1, 0x25:1, 0x26: 1, 0x70: 1, 0x72: 2])
    if (cmd) {
        result = zwaveEvent(cmd)
        log.debug "Parsed $cmd to $result"
    } else {
        log.debug "Non-parsed event: $description"
    }
    result
}

def on() {
    def fadeOnTime = device.currentValue("fadeOnTime")
    def presetLevel = device.currentValue("presetLevel")

short duration = fadeOnTime == null ? 255 : fadeOnTime
    short level = presetLevel == null || presetLevel == 0 ? 0xFF : toZwaveLevel(presetLevel as short)
    delayBetween([
            zwave.switchMultilevelV2.switchMultilevelSet(value: level, dimmingDuration: duration).format(),
            zwave.switchMultilevelV1.switchMultilevelGet().format()
    ], durationToSeconds(duration) * 1000 + commandDelayMs)
}

def off() {
    def fadeOffTime = device.currentValue("fadeOffTime")

short duration = fadeOffTime == null ? 255 : fadeOffTime
    delayBetween([
            zwave.switchMultilevelV2.switchMultilevelSet(value: 0x00, dimmingDuration: duration).format(),
    ], durationToSeconds(duration) * 1000 + commandDelayMs)
}

def setLevel(value, durationSeconds = null) {
    log.debug "setLevel >> value: $value, durationSeconds: $durationSeconds"
    short level = toDisplayLevel(value as short)
    short dimmingDuration = durationSeconds == null ? 255 : secondsToDuration(durationSeconds as int)

sendEvent(name: "level", value: level, unit: "%")
    sendEvent(name: "switch", value: level > 0 ? "on" : "off")
    delayBetween([
            zwave.switchMultilevelV2.switchMultilevelSet(value: toZwaveLevel(level), dimmingDuration: dimmingDuration).format(),
    ], durationToSeconds(dimmingDuration) * 1000 + commandDelayMs)
}

def poll() {
    delayBetween(statusCommands, commandDelayMs)
}

def ping() {
    poll()
}

def refresh() {
    def commands = statusCommands
    if (getDataValue("MSR") == null) {
        commands << zwave.manufacturerSpecificV1.manufacturerSpecificGet().format()
    }
    for (i in 1..8) {
        commands << zwave.configurationV1.configurationGet(parameterNumber: i).format()
    }
    log.debug "Refreshing with commands $commands"
    delayBetween(commands, commandDelayMs)
}

def indicatorNever() {
    sendEvent(name: "indicatorStatus", value: "never")
    configurationCommand(7, 0)
}

def indicatorWhenOff() {
    sendEvent(name: "indicatorStatus", value: "when off")
    configurationCommand(7, 255)
}

def indicatorWhenOn() {
    sendEvent(name: "indicatorStatus", value: "when on")
    configurationCommand(7, 254)
}

def low() {
    setLevel(10)
}

def medium() {
    setLevel(50)
}

def high() {
    setLevel(100)
}

def levelUp() {
    setLevel(device.currentValue("level") + (levelIncrement ?: defaultLevelIncrement))
}

def levelDown() {
    setLevel(device.currentValue("level") - (levelIncrement ?: defaultLevelIncrement))
}

private static int getCommandDelayMs() { 1000 }
private static int getDefaultLevelIncrement() { 10 }

private initialize() {
    // Device-Watch simply pings if no device events received for 32min(checkInterval)
    //sendEvent(name: "checkInterval", value: 2 * 15 * 60 + 2 * 60, displayed: false, data: [protocol: "zwave", hubHardwareId: device.hub.hardwareID])
}

private zwaveEvent(hubitat.zwave.commands.basicv1.BasicReport cmd) {
    dimmerEvent(cmd.value)
}

private zwaveEvent(hubitat.zwave.commands.switchmultilevelv1.SwitchMultilevelReport cmd) {
    dimmerEvent(cmd.value)
}

private zwaveEvent(hubitat.zwave.commands.switchmultilevelv1.SwitchMultilevelStopLevelChange cmd) {
    response(zwave.switchMultilevelV1.switchMultilevelGet().format())
}

private zwaveEvent(hubitat.zwave.commands.switchbinaryv1.SwitchBinaryReport cmd) {
    if (cmd.value == 0) {
        switchEvent(false)
    } else if (cmd.value == 255) {
        switchEvent(true)
    } else {
        log.debug "Bad switch value $cmd.value"
    }
}

private zwaveEvent(hubitat.zwave.commands.configurationv1.ConfigurationReport cmd) {
    def result = null
    switch (cmd.parameterNumber) {
        case 1:
            result = createEvent(name: "fadeOnTime", value: cmd.configurationValue[0])
            break
        case 2:
            result = createEvent(name: "fadeOffTime", value: cmd.configurationValue[0])
            break
        case 3:
            result = createEvent(name: "minLevel", value: cmd.configurationValue[0])
            break
        case 4:
            result = createEvent(name: "maxLevel", value: cmd.configurationValue[0])
            break
        case 5:
            result = createEvent(name: "presetLevel", value: cmd.configurationValue[0])
            break
        case 6:
            result = createEvent(name: "levelIndicatorTimeout", value: cmd.configurationValue[0])
            break
        case 7:
            def value = null
            switch (cmd.configurationValue[0]) {
                case 0: value = "never"; break
                case 254: value = "when on"; break
                case 255: value = "when off"; break
            }
            result = createEvent(name: "indicatorStatus", value: value)
            break
        case 8:
            def value = null
            switch (cmd.configurationValue[0]) {
                case 0: value = "incandescent"; break
                case 1: value = "led"; break
                case 2: value = "cfl"; break
            }
            result = createEvent(name: "loadType", value: value)
            break
    }
    result
}

private zwaveEvent(hubitat.zwave.commands.manufacturerspecificv2.ManufacturerSpecificReport cmd) {
    log.debug "manufacturerId:   $cmd.manufacturerId"
    log.debug "manufacturerName: $cmd.manufacturerName"
    log.debug "productId:        $cmd.productId"
    log.debug "productTypeId:    $cmd.productTypeId"
    def msr = String.format("%04X-%04X-%04X", cmd.manufacturerId, cmd.productTypeId, cmd.productId)
    updateDataValue("MSR", msr)
    updateDataValue("manufacturer", cmd.manufacturerName)
    createEvent([descriptionText: "$device.displayName MSR: $msr", isStateChange: false])
}

private zwaveEvent(hubitat.zwave.commands.hailv1.Hail cmd) {
    createEvent(name: "hail", value: "hail", descriptionText: "Switch button was pressed", displayed: false)
}

private zwaveEvent(hubitat.zwave.Command cmd) {
    log.warn "Unhandled zwave command $cmd"
}

private dimmerEvent(short level) {
    def result = null
    if (level == 0) {
        result = [createEvent(name: "level", value: 0, unit: "%"), switchEvent(false)]
    } else if (level >= 1 && level <= 100) {
        result = createEvent(name: "level", value: toDisplayLevel(level), unit: "%")
        if (device.currentValue("switch") != "on") {
            // Don't blindly trust level. Explicitly request on/off status.
            result = [result, response(zwave.switchBinaryV1.switchBinaryGet().format())]
        }
    } else {
        log.debug "Bad dimming level $level"
    }
    result
}

private switchEvent(boolean on) {
    createEvent(name: "switch", value: on ? "on" : "off")
}

private getStatusCommands() {
    [
            // Even though SwitchBinary is not advertised by this device, it seems to be the only way to assess its true
            // on/off status.
            zwave.switchBinaryV1.switchBinaryGet().format(),
    ]
}

private short toDisplayLevel(short level) {
    level = Math.max(0, Math.min(100, level))
    (level == (short) 99) ? 100 : level
}

private short toZwaveLevel(short level) {
    Math.max(0, Math.min(99, level))
}

private int durationToSeconds(short duration) {
    if (duration >= 0 && duration <= 127) {
        duration
    } else if (duration >= 128 && duration <= 254) {
        (duration - 127) * 60
    } else if (duration == 255) {
        2   // factory default
    } else {
        log.error "Bad duration $duration"
    }
}

private short secondsToDuration(int seconds) {
    if (seconds >= 0 && seconds <= 127) {
        seconds
    } else if (seconds >= 128 && seconds <= 127 * 60) {
        127 + Math.round(seconds / 60)
    } else {
        log.error "Bad seconds $seconds"
    }
}

private configurationCommand(param, value) {
    param = param as short
    value = value as short
    delayBetween([
            zwave.configurationV1.configurationSet(parameterNumber: param, configurationValue: [value]).format(),
            zwave.configurationV1.configurationGet(parameterNumber: param).format()
    ], commandDelayMs)
}

private setFadeOnTime(short time) {
    sendEvent(name: "fadeOnTime", value: time)
    configurationCommand(1, time)
}

private setFadeOffTime(short time) {
    sendEvent(name: "fadeOffTime", value: time)
    configurationCommand(2, time)
}

private setMinLevel(short level) {
    sendEvent(name: "minLevel", value: level)
    configurationCommand(3, level)
}

private setMaxLevel(short level) {
    sendEvent(name: "maxLevel", value: level)
    configurationCommand(4, level)
}

private setPresetLevel(short level) {
    sendEvent(name: "presetLevel", value: level)
    configurationCommand(5, level)
}

private setLevelIndicatorTimeout(short timeout) {
    sendEvent(name: "levelIndicatorTimeout", value: timeout)
    configurationCommand(6, timeout)
}

private setLoadType(String loadType) {
    switch (loadType) {
        case "Incandescent (default)":
            sendEvent(name: "loadType", value: "incandescent")
            return configurationCommand(8, 0)
        case "LED":
            sendEvent(name: "loadType", value: "led")
            return configurationCommand(8, 1)
        case "CFL":
            sendEvent(name: "loadType", value: "cfl")
            return configurationCommand(8, 2)
    }
}

private setIndicatorStatus(String status) {
    switch (indicatorStatus) {
        case "When switch is off (default)":    return indicatorWhenOff()
        case "When switch is on":               return indicatorWhenOn()
        case "Never":                           return indicatorNever()
    }
}
1 Like

@mike.maxwell, I understand that I may have been mistaken about the intended distinction between the Generic Z-Wave Switch/Dimmer and the Generic Z-Wave Smart Switch/Driver. I had thought that the former is intended for all devices (whether Z-Wave Plus or classic Z-Wave) that don't send their status updates after receiving digital commands (understanding that this will typically apply to older, classic Z-Wave devices, though not necessarily).

If the Generic Z-Wave Smart Dimmer is supposed to work for all Z-Wave Plus devices and the non-smart version of the driver is just supposed to be for all classic Z-Wave devices, then I think the system driver should please be reviewed to work for the Leviton device described at the top of this thread (a plug-in dimmer). These devices are Z-Wave Plus, but at least for the few that I have, they all require the non-Smart version of the generic dimmer driver in order to update their statuses after a digital command is sent.

(Separately, I wonder whether changing the name of the "smart" driver to Generic Z-Wave Plus Dimmer/Switch would help make this straightforward to understand. I, for one, have been confused about the intended distinction between these drivers, even after reading several threads raising this question. Of course, maybe a good reason exists for using "Smart" instead of "Plus" and I am ignorant of the reason—this is simply an observation.)

I use the generic smart switch driver with a zwave plus leviton switch, and it reports on/off status just fine for me. :man_shrugging: