Can't find a 2 outlet dual dimmer plug (including ground)

I'm looking for a dual-plug dimmer, something like below, but a dimmer, not a switch. Both plugs controlled at the same time is fine/desired.

I don't want this, as it's two-prong, no ground, I need the ground.

I thought this would be easy to find, but no luck so far. Any suggestions appreciated.

I don't think you'll find one, because my understanding is that it doesn't meet electrical code. Dimmers typically only have 2 prongs to prevent non-dimmable grounded appliances from being plugged into them.

3 Likes

Thanks, I thought there might be some code issues involved.

However, I can find grounded dimmer outlets w/one plug, just not ones that have two outlets on them...one example below. So maybe having two grounded plugs on a dimmer is the issue?

1 Like

Interesting! I didn't know those existed.

1 Like

I don't think you really need it. I have never seen a table/standing lamp with a ground on it so a ground will unlikely help with anything... The dual GE unit above is UL listed so should be safe enough. Hell, I still buy the occasional brown extension cord with ground.

I have one that I got primarily to use as a repeater for my garage door opener. Works well in that role.

I think I'm probably just going to have to make do w/one dimmer plug.

1 Like

Where's the fun in that? I'd go for a Rube-Goldberg solution. Get a second one of those EVA-LOGIK dimmers, and one of these ....

https://www.amazon.com/360-Electrical-36036-2CA6ES-AQU-outlet-protector/dp/B00EZ6L2TI/

SWMBO will be ecstatic at your ingenuity :grin:

[quote="aaiyar, post:7, topic:80126"]O
SWMBO will be ecstatic at your ingenuity :grin:
[/quote]
Oh yes, that would definitely get me some sort of award... :wink:

I'm doing this for some LED string lights on my eaves that have a ground...will be mounted in a box up under the eaves, connected to a GCFI plug also mounted up under the eaves.

Since it looks like I can't find a dual outlet dimmer plug, I'm probably going to use the Eva Logik dimmer plug with a splitter to connect the two string lights to it. A little messier in terms of cables, but doesn't look like I have other options.

2 Likes

I am not sure a GFCI will work properly if you have a dimmer located prior to the GFCI in the circuit. I am not sure the relay inside the GFCI will trip on a fault if it is not supplied with full line voltage. The dimmer plug needs to be plugged into the GFCI, not the other way around. The dimmer does not need to have a ground wire for the GFCI to protect the circuit. It functions by comparing an imbalance between the current flow on the hot and neutral wires. The ground connection does not come into play.

The sequence should be: house outlet, GFCI plug, dimmer, LED lights. Whether then LED lights themselves are grounded or not is immaterial, with one exception. If the LED lights use a 12 volt dimmable driver, it must be grounded. That might well be your application.

All permanent electrical installations should be made following current electrical code standards. It sounds like portions of the circuit will be permanently installed in the eves, but you will be using plug in GFCI units and plug-in dimmers as part of the installation. That definitely does not meet code requirements. I would suggest you figure out another way of doing this using devices that do meet code.

For temporary lighting like strings of Christmas lights, using plug in dimmers, switches, and timers is acceptable. Ideally, a GFCI will be permanently installed in the outdoor outlet used to supply those lights. Running extension cords through windows and doors is not acceptable.

Thanks for the info, appreciate it. I wasn't very clear in my description...the sequence I was planning is:

• GFCI Outlet mounted on outside of house under the eaves - this was installed up in the eaves during a recent remodel to support the string light connection.
  • Dimmable plug
  • LED strings

The plugs on the LED strings have a ground, so I assumed that I needed to support that in the sequence. If I can get away w/a 3-2 prong adapter on the LED string plugs and ignore the ground, then that definitely makes things easier. :slight_smile:

I'll need to check on this - thanks for pointing that issue out.

I found a WiFi dimmer plug designed for outdoor use with two three-prong grounded outlets.

The unit is not compatible directly with Hubitat, but it can be controlled by Alexa or Google Home or by your cell phone. You can set up a virtual device to interface it with Hubitat if desired.

The thing I like about this device is that it is designed for outdoor use. It has two pigtails so you can plug in your light strings and the wrap the connection with waterproof tape to insure it remains watertite.

If possible, use an in-service waterproof GFCI cover such as this one to insure water cannot get into the GFCI.

It sounds like you are on the right track. Good luck!

Yup - that's how all the exterior outlets are installed. That plus the outlet and weatherproof box being up under the eavers, and me being in SoCal (land of drought), will mean rain should not be an issue.

Thanks, I saw that one and was excited for a moment until I realized it was Wi-Fi...I am trying to keep everything local/direct to reduce chances of problems/control issues (which have in the past damaged WAF), so for now I'm going to stick w/the approach discussed above.

Not a dimmer but dual outlet https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Z-Wave-Appliance-Required-SmartThings/dp/B07Q1NZMZL/ref=asc_df_B07Q1NZMZL/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=366343882692&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17849641334836582867&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9005959&hvtargid=pla-799493942845&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=76503872296&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=366343882692&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17849641334836582867&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9005959&hvtargid=pla-799493942845

I like to keep everything local as well. However, since string lighting outside is not a critical application (unless Internet goes down in the middle of a deck party), I would not be quite so concerned as I would with things like lights in the kitchen and bedroom.

1 Like

That's a nice unit, but since one is always on, it wouldn't work for me, and since not a dimmer, also not for this application. I do find the Eva Logik stuff I have to work well, so adding to my "maybe future" list. :slight_smile: Thanks!

Yeah, you are right. I'm being kind of hard-core about it. But since I've had a previous issue w/those integrations due to temporary loss of service, I'm once bitten/twice shy. :slight_smile: