Can't edit Rule 5.1 IF-THEN action

I need to clone several rules and have to change the variable name I use in the actions list. But to my amazement I cannot edit an IF THEN action?

So in this example I need to change the local variable name "WK MOVING"

BTW: Markies = an Awning

What am I doing wrong here??
Thanks!

1 Like

If all you want to do is change the variable, click on Manage Conditions, and edit the condition used in the IF-THEN action.

It is also possible to edit the expression in the IF-THEN, but that is a bit more involved. You'd click on the IF-THEN action in the table, and that would bring up something like this:

1 Like

For other battling with the cumbersome Rule machine editing:

I found that I need first to make a new Local variable. Then the IF-THEN action will update. other line can then be edited by choosing the new variable.

Last delete the obsolete variable

No, you don't need to do this. See my post above.

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to reply!

I tried your suggestion but editing an IF-THEN statement only has 2 options: "insert before statement" or "delete"?

To change the variable, you don't want to edit the action. Instead you want to edit the condition you are wanting to change, like this:

This allows you to change the variable, or the comparison, or the compared value, as needed. This condition is part of the IF-THEN expression:

1 Like

You are right but if I do not first make a new local variable, I cannot change it the way you described; select the new variable. I can't change the name of the variable in "manage or create conditions"?

It's worth it to be aware that an expression, for IF-THEN or anywhere else, consists of conditions and the logic operators (if any). Each condition can be edited on its own. Usually that's what you want to do, not to change the logical construction of the IF-THEN expression itself (although this is possible).

1 Like

Any variable you are going to use has to already exist before you can select it. Does your variable that you want to change to already exist? If so, it should be in the pull down menu of available variables.

Like this:

1 Like

Yes indeed, now we are on the same page... thank you for your patience!

May I ask 1 last question: can a broken condition in an IF-THEN action be restored or do I have to rebuild the IF-THEN action?

Depends on how it's broken. If you can edit the condition to fix it, then you don't have to touch the IF-THEN. If not, you'd need a new condition and to edit the IF-THEN to use it.

1 Like

clear, many thanks!

(from the country below sea level)

Oh, in the netherworld?

Yes sir... without protection I will have wet feet! :slightly_smiling_face:

I find it somewhat ironic that as the world struggles with rising sea levels, you guys have dealt with it for centuries. Question is, is the protection high enough for yet higher sea levels?

Our government does not know yet... "They are looking into it" But if extremely rich people build hugely expensive mansions on the sea shores and the Maldives are still not under water, I guess that they will have plenty time to work out a solution.

We are situated at the North Sea, which was dry land(!) in the past so maybe the level will drop later on? Time will tell...

The Netherlands still uses much of the same technology borrowed from New Orleans, where the Wood Screw Pump was first developed around 1900. I had the honor of working with a team of Dutch engineers from Royal Haskoning for several years after Hurricane Katrina, to rebuild parts of the New Orleans flood protection system. Never met a nicer, more intelligent bunch of men and women.

Trivia: The city's pumping stations could siphon the entire Ohio River dry, such is their total capacity.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.