Cannot pair several zigbee devices with new C8

I do too. Thanks.

Try to set Zigbee power level to 8. The default is 16. In many cases (if not all) 16 is too high.

I have had mine set to 20 since the day after I migrated my C-5 and have had zero problems going on a month now. That said, it does seem like most people report better success with lower power settings. I would assume that It all depends on one’s environment; both radio interference and what devices are used.

This statement is generally correct. However higher power is not always a right thing.
I am in big apartment complex with gassilions of WiFi networks. First thing what I did with new C8 before migration was resetting Zigbee power to 8. And Zigbee mesh on C8 seems to be very healthy.

1 Like

Good call...can't hurt, might help, and hasn't been tried yet. :slight_smile:

If 8 doesn't help, try 12. Cheap/easy to give power level changes a shot.

I've been running unchanged at 16 w/few problems, so I've let mine be, not wanting to upset my apple cart. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Seems to work with any problem Zigbee device I tested. Click the link to read more might help you out

1 Like

I agree. I am now running Zigbee at a power of 12, but I may drop it to 8. My repeaters are connected to the hub, but nearly everything else goes through repeaters, just as it should be.

Thanks all for your thoughts. I have now tried pairing at different power levels; 8, 12, 16 & 20. The non-pairing behavior remains.

How many Zigbee devices do you have in total?
How many of them are mains-powered devices that act as repeaters?
Are other Zigbee devices pairing normally?

Considering how well the Third Reality devices and CMARS plugs have worked for me, I have difficulty understanding why they are not working for you, unless you have a shortage of repeaters.

It is best to have one repeater located fairly close to the hus (10-15 ft) and then others scattered elsewhere. Zigbee can sometimes reach 100 meters with an unobstructed line of sight. In a home environment with walls, HVAC ducts, water piping, electrical wiring, mirrors, appliances, you might be doing well to achieve a transmission distance of 30 ft. Fortunately, unlike Z-wave, there is no limit to the number of repeaters you can have in the Zigbee signal chain. In my home, I currently have 14 Zigbee smartplugs, all acting as repeating devices. I might not need that many, but I never have issues with devices dropping offline unless their battery dies. Having multiple repeaters also makes it easier pairing devices with the hub.

This is a new and untested C8 hub with new and untested zigbee devices. I have tried a total of 4 different zigbee devices; three from Third Reality and one from CMARS with an identical result from each. I am trying to pair these at a distance from the hub of 6 inches to 20 feet. I have a good deal of experience pairing zigbee devices at another location, and I have never seen a problem like this. In fact, I have previously found them to pair much easier than zwave. That is why I am convinced that I have some sort of zigbee radio problem in the new C8 hub.

Hey Guys, just so he can get some devices paired can't USER50554 rollback/load up a previous build? One before the new stack? If so all you have to do is go to settings Copy your Mac address from hub info then go to diagnostic tools then restore to previous version. I'm just not sure anything will be listed if so try the earliest version.

I'll have to second this, just got some new Zigbee temp sensors they'll start to initialize and time out.

they are Tuya Smart ZigBee Temperature and Humidity Sensor, which seem to have worked for others in the past just fine.

1 Like

I submitted a warranty claim because I don't know where else to go with this. Hubitat support has not contacted me even after being tagged on Friday. This is disappointing support.

@bobbyD

Based on the details provided this issue is likely related to the particular devices you are trying to pair. If you'd like us to take a look at your hub's engineering logs to make sure that you are not dealing with some sort of hardware malfunction, please send me a private message along with your hub's ID.

3 Likes

@user5054 - In case you haven't seen it before, you'll find your hub UID under Settings>Hub Details:

Which brand/device are they? Have you confirmed they are in the compatible devices list?

Third Reality Motion Sensor; 3RMS16BZ - Yes, on the compatible devices list
Third Reality Water Leak Sensor; 3RWS18BZ - Yes, on the compatible devices list
CMARS Mini Smart Socket; Model US-101 - No, not on the compatible devices list, but I have successfully used this product previously on a Hubitat C7.

1 Like

I am using a few of these on my production C8 hub (currently 80+ Zigbee devices in my mesh) so I know they work and they paired easy for me. Now figuring out why your hub behaves differently, that's another thing...

2 Likes

I have 2 c7s no real problems. Brought 2 c8’s but just registered them till I decided how I was going to rebuild my network. I’m all zwave but I have brought a shedload of Zigbee Sonoff to expand.
I used a few devices to test the c8’s all fine. Supported push button, sockets and temp sensor.
I have upgraded OS as they have come out and all hubs are on the latest revision. Zigbee still worked.
I decided tonight to do a few tests. I removed all devices from the c8’s. Then tried to add them.
The hub would say it had found the device and was initialising then timed out. This was across all hubs. c7 and c8. No zigbee devices would pair.
I reset an d restored with no luck.
I then rolled back one c8 to 2.3.4.148.
I have paired and re-paired zigbee device and they pair in seconds and work fine.
None of the other hubs will pair.

What is the difference between these two versions?
Note the problem is on both 7 and 8’s

Cheers