Cannot add new z-wave devices

Hi
I have a new C8 hub where I cannot add new Z-wave devices.
I have migrated from an old C7 hub. The old hub is switched off and disconnected.

Every thing went fine with the migration, and all works fine on the new hub - except that I'm unable to add new devices.
I have tested the device Aeotec Outlet on another old C7 hub, and there it adds fine - no issues.

Anyone got any ideas ?

Have tried several times to shutdown, power off and the boot up the hub again, but it doesn't help.

Can you please post your z-wave details page in it's entirety? (Use windows Snip)

1 Like

Here is the details page:

I assume your region is correct (europe) are you sure the devices you're trying to add are your region? If so try shutting down the hub from the settings menu. Unplug physical power to it for 2 mins and power back up. Before trying to add the device, factory reset the device (even if out of the box) and do an exclude on it first. Then add it.

1 Like

Hi,
Yes, europe is my region, and the device is also for the correct region. I have tried to add it to another (old) c7 hub, that works fine.
I have now tried to shutdown and remove power from the hub, and the reset the device and try to link it again.
It still doesn't work. Any other ideas on how to troubleshoot?

The hub you migrated from you need to do a zwave radio reset or have it powered down. Otherwise both hubs will have the same zwave network ID.

I see at least one power metering devices already paired, go in and disable the power reporting for any power metering devices, or set the interval very high to reduce traffic.

Then do a full shut down of the hub, unplug for 10 seconds and reboot.
Let it settle for a few minutes before trying to pair again.

Does your device you are trying to pair support Smart Start? Could also tryin doing that.

1 Like

The old hub is disconnected.
I have the new C8 and another old C7 hub on. Zwave is off on the C7 so that shoud not interfeer. Furthermore I also had this issue without the C7 on.

I switched off power monitoring - it was set to 5 minute interval.
Tried power off, unplug power and the reboot hub. Tried to Pair after a few minutes.
But still doesn't work.

As far as I can see I can't use Smart Start

Is C8 connected with Wifi or Ethernet? Not sure if it matters but just a thought.

What happens when you start the pairing on the C8? Does it do the normal thing, or anything different? Have you watched in the logs for any errors?

How is C8 getting power (included supply block or other)?

How are antennae's oriented? Also try swapping the two antennas to see if that changes anything (in case one is defective).

2 Likes

Hi,

The C8 is on Ethernet.

When I put the hub in pairing mode and the device in pairing mode. The device starts pairing, but then fails after like 10 seconds or so. The hub newer seems to detect the device.

The Hub is powered by an PoE adapter. Used that for my old hubs also. This is of cause new due to USB C.

Hub with antennas are oriented like this:

Antennas need to be up or down not horizontal.

Also, test with supplied power block. POE adaptors with the C8 has been known to cause zwave issues under certain conditions, was never determined why exactly. Mainly seemed to be a problem with Unifi equipment as the POE source for some reason.

2 Likes

This!^^^

Wow.... the POE adaptor seems to have been the bad guy here. I actually also have a Unifi switch in front,

It just worked with the supplied power block.

Thank you so much. Fustration level decreased :smiley:

2 Likes

Yeah.... Still don't understand why it only affects z-wave on the c8.... It has to be some kind of RF interference issue the adapter is putting out. Maybe with the proximity of the high gain antennas.

2 Likes

After this I've finally added a not about the POE/Unifi switch issue to my gotcha post...

3 Likes

There is a method to my madness sometimes. When people actually READ my questions and reply with the requested info sometimes we come to a quick solution! Thanks.

3 Likes

We really don't have room in this forum for demanding and infexible people. :wink:

1 Like

OMG, I have been going MANIC trying to figure out why my z-wave mesh, stable for years, has been having issues. I just switched over all my hubs to PoE adapters for power to clean up my setup, never in a million years figured this would be the culprit! (Also PoE via a Unifi switch.) I'm going to go swap the power cable for the C-8 for a traditional USB-C cable and cross my fingers my issues magically disappear. Hopefully the cause of the issue is determined so this isn't an issue moving forward and we can switch back to the PoE adapters...

1 Like

We're still not sure why this is. It must be some weird RF issue.

1 Like

What's strange is I have 8 other PoE splitters in the same cabinet, still operational...

Switched the power supply for the C-8 over, boom, z-wave mesh rebuilds as it should and is reliable again. So it has to be some kind of interference actually traveling through the power supply to the C-8 that's causing the issues.

Oprah Winfrey Judging You GIF

1 Like

Yeah only affects the c8