Cannot add any more devices to Alexa

I recently discovered this problem after installing @bertabcd1234's CoCoHue App. Now I have about 240 scenes that I want to import into Alexa. For some reason, I can't import all of them. Even if I do a few at a time, there comes a point that when I use the built-in Hubitat App to add more devices (scenes) to Alexa, they just don't show up there. When I remove some devices, I can add them again, but I once again get to this maximum limit, which I was not aware there was.

I submitted this as a help request to Amazon, but they seem completely oblivious to this and told me there is no limit to the number of devices you can add to Alexa. But Hubitat has its own unique way of adding devices, I thought I'd ask here if anyone has seen this problem and has a fix for it?

Tagging @bcopeland from the Hubitat Team. I believe he usually handles the Alexa Integration questions.

3 Likes

Is no one else having this problem? Am I really the only one??

Once you mentioned you’re trying to import 240 scenes, I think you lost most of us…. Not many folks have probably ever tried anywhere near that many scenes/devices in Alexa at one time. You may be in uncharted territory.

4 Likes

@Krishna

I'm with @ogiewon here. Of my >200 devices, less than 50 are exposed to Alexa. But I have a suggestion for you because you described these scenes as being imported via CocoHue. Why not use the Hue bridge Alexa integration and import these scenes via that route?

2 Likes

:+1:

I can't even fathom that many scenes, let alone remember what to call them via Alexa. Is there a reason you need 240 scenes in Alexa? That seems a bit out of the ordinary, to say the least.

It's about 40 scenes for each of 6 rooms. I have lots of Philips Hue lights.

Isn't there a way to consolidate these somehow? I have never used Hue, (or CocoHue) so maybe I am not understanding why you would even want (or use) 40 scenes in one room in the first place. That number seems very excessive, and again I don't know how you would even remember 240 phrases for all these scenes.

1 Like

Because Alexa's Philips Hue skill does not support multiple bridges. Lame.

Also because CoCoHue scenes, to the best of my knowledge, have to be imported via Hubitat. Of course, I could just forget those and import the same scenes from Philips into Alexa but... again... no multi-bridge support.

I have three bridges covering Philips Hue devices in 3 different rooms.

No way that I know of. What I did is to unimport individual lights within a group - like say, I have two Master Bedroom Lamps, so I just imported the group that has both lamps and not each individual lamp. Same thing with other groups. That gave me some "space" back.

Regarding the 240 scenes, it's actually the same 40 scenes in each of six rooms. I have a consistent naming system, so that we really only need to remember 40 scenes. Examples: "Game Room Scene Arctic Aurora" or "Living Room Scene Savanna Sunset." I also have groups of the same scene for each room. Very cool-looking actually.

How often do you actually use most of those scenes? I would probably try to set different default scenes for different modes or times of day, and then mostly use voice just to turn the lights on and off, with a few most-used scenes set up for voice activation. Having so many different voice prompts feels like it would negatively impact the accuracy of voice recognition.

2 Likes

Of course, I can come up with workarounds, like not importing all those scenes or importing only some scenes, but I'm more interested in the issue of, is there some reason why I am unable to import them into Alexa? It feels like either Alexa or Hubitat has some kind of hard limit and I'm not sure why.

Eventually I am hoping to add smart blind control for all of my windows. That will be a lot of devices, too. Sure, I could not add them to Alexa. I don't need them in Alexa. In fact, I don't really need any of this home automation stuff. I do it for the sheer coolness factor of it. :wink: So if possible, I'd like to be able to access all of my devices both via dashboards and via Alexa voice control.

1 Like