Canada Taxes and Duty

Looks like an amazon e-mail. You prepay duties/taxes and if it's less than you paid they refund the difference.

3 Likes

I received mine recently through USPS and Canada Post. No additional taxes or duties were charged to me.

About 165$ for me all in.

Ordered April 12th and chose USPS shipping. Tracking shows it left the US on April 19th and here it is one month later and Canada Post says it hasn't been received/released by CBSA yet so no word on taxes/duties. Guess CBSA (Toronto) have a backlog due to Covid-19?

I guess to help pay for all the government money give-a ways during the pandemic, I just paid just under $51 duty fees. Took 19 days to arrive which I find acceptable due to the circumstances.

Followup: Canada Post delivered on May 28. Paid 8% duty + 13% GST (on Hubitat & duty) + 9.95 Canada Post handling fee.

Hello everyone,

I have ordered one Hubitat to be shipped to Québec in May 2020.

Cost of Unit & shipping was $210 CAN
Customs/taxes was $54 CAN

So when you see a Hubitat for sale at $129.95 US, expect to pay around $260 CAN ( $CAN exchange , shipping, customs taxes). I buy many things from the US and many other companies are handling/lowering customs fees themselves because they have someone onboard who understands border taxes. There is room for improvement Hubitat ! :slight_smile:

It took 10 days for unit to arrive here. Tracking was available in both USPS and Canada Post.
It was also possible to pay online the Customs taxes a few days before final delivery.

Cheers,

JG

There are companies that are far worse, though, too.

Recently ordered a meat thermometer set. Price from vendor was similar to Hubitat's, but trackable shipping was only available via UPS (vendor choice). I paid about $80 in brokerage / taxes -- to Alberta where we have no PST/HST, only 5% GST.

Hubitat does ok -- the ideal situation would be that they start doing FBA with Amazon.ca, IMO.

UPS will always try to charge for every single imported item. I received a warranty replacement part that was held up for “fees due” and then the fees paid by the manufacturer (Assa Abloy). UPS driver delivered a package that said fees paid, and left the package without getting my signature.

Two days ago, I have a bill in my mailbox from UPS for Import and Handling fees. :joy: Right! Let me run to get my credit card :rofl::rofl:

I personally have found that here (in Ontario, near Metro Toronto), if you get something via the United States Postal Service (USPS), it goes right through without any customs, duty, etc.

2 Likes

That used to be the case for me, too. Over the past 6-12 months, however, CanadaPost / USPS has gotten increasingly sticky about charging their $10-20 handling fee and GST. Duty is rarely charged from the US - I think it's too much effort for them to verify it isn't NAFTA-worthy.

Yeah, never ever go with UPS outside Canada. They charge you an arm and leg for anything. Unless there is no option otherwise go with USPS.

2 Likes

68$ here ...

$26.14CAD in duties/taxes, delivered to Alberta. DHL was courier.

I just received my C-7 via USPS / Canada Post. Took about 14 days, so not the fastest delivery, but there was no other charges on top of the purchase price + exchange, so a good thing!

Now I need to decide if I will wait until the subscription model is available to transfer everything to it, or if I will do it manually... At over 340 devices (though a lot are virtual, and only a bit over 60 are Z-Wave), I am concerned that it may take me a while... And need to decide if it will be worth the approx. $50 CAD assuming the posted price of $35.95 will be in USD... And the wait - not sure when it will actually be available...!

Sounds like you need to take another vacation up north, and leave some prearranged "Gifts" during your travels!! hahaha

2 Likes

It would have to be a business trip. Our borders are closed to non-essential travel, particularly the land border with the United States due to the dumpster fire of COVID south of the border.

I just got my C7.
No additional taxes, duty, or anything else.
Hooray for USPS!!!

I ordered my first hub only months ago and it showed up quickly and without extra fees. I'm in Saskatchewan..I ordered my C7 on July 26th and it is apparently sitting in Los Angeles for whatever reason. Getting a little nervous here, the bloody thing was just shy of $200.00.