Can you use different button in IF statements?

I have Homeseer a wall dimmer with 10 "buttons" (really 8 for scene control)

It controls a multi-colored bulb.

Can I build a single rule so that each button sets it to a different color? I was thinking I could do something like...

IF button 3 pressed - set color X
IF button 4 pressed - set color Y

I really don't see how to build a trigger for "any button pushed" either.

I'm a newbie and just don't see how to do this in a single rule and really don't want 8 rules for this.

Thanks!

Rules can have multiple triggers …..

So you can certainly build your rule with 8 triggers and a series of conditional statements.

Personally, I would use a different app - Button Controller, which like Rule Machine, is a built-in app.

2 Likes

The any button option is an interesting one.....

I still expect Button Controller is worth looking at, like @aaiyar suggested. I expect the list of buttons will likely remain relatively static, so am thinking some kind of virtual switch or even button would be useful when detecting the physical buttons to consolidate the detection of them being pressed.

1 Like

That probably wasn't the best description in retrospect...

By the use of a button / switch for any button, I was meaning that you could include a Button Controller or RM rule to turn on the switch or press the button when any of the buttons you care about are pressed.

Use the built-in Button Controller app (may need to install it first), it gives you a nice layout to see all the buttons as well, here is example from my ZEN32 5-button device. Anything above 2x taps has to be creative on the driver so button 12 is a 3x tap for one of them.

Creating the rules for each button uses the same engine as RM.

2 Likes

Thanks, great options!

I'll give this all a try.

I haven't brought my Zen controllers over from HS4 yet. I really like them since you can get custom engraved/named face plates for them. Thanks!

When you do be sure to check out the community driver. You can do all sorts of fancy stuff with the LEDs using it. I have contributed some of the code for recent updates: [RELEASE] Zooz ZEN32 Scene Controller (community driver)

Will do. Thanks again!