Can you use a POE switch with another POE switch?

As far as I know anything in the AP / Access Point line from Unify is a Wi-Fi access point, not a router.

Maybe I'm not fully understanding Unify. Is there a specific router? or just a mesh of access points? Am I looking at a different kind of animal than I'm used to thinking about?

If you want a "Ubiquiti-based Network", you get something like a UDM, UDMP, or such to act as the router. It also acts as the Unifi controller to run the various apps like Network, Protect, etc... From there you can add on whatever switches, APs (or combination switch/APs like the wall one), or the multitude of other devices (even EV car charging).

1 Like

Yes, in the UniFi product space there are devices that perform the role of the "Gateway" (i.e. Router). I started with a UniFi Dream Machine (aka UDM base model) which included a WiFi 5 Access Point, a 4 port Gigabit network switch, and includes the Gateway functionality, as well as run the Network Controller 'App'.

They now make a very similar device called the UniFi Dream Router (UDR) which has all of the same features of the UDM base above, but its AP is WiFi 6 and it is also capable of running the "Protect" app, which is used for their NVR feature. The UDR is a nice package, but it has some limitations with respect to total WAN throughput due to its CPU, and it cannot handle continuous video recording from UniFi's Protect Cameras.

Since I wanted to use UniFi Protect, I replaced my original UDM base with a "UniFi Dream Machine SE". This is a much beefier 19" inch rack mountable device. It does not have its own WiFi Access Point built in, but it does have much higher bandwidth capability, PoE Network Switch Ports, and can house a 3.5" (or 2.5") SATA hard drive for continuous video recording from multiple UniFi Protect Cameras. In addition to running UniFi Network and Protect apps, it can also run "Access", "Connect", "Talk", and "UID" apps. I have only ever used "Network" and "Protect" personally, as the other apps are more targeted to a true office environment, IMHO.

Here is what my network currently looks like. It has taken a few years to grow to this point, and I agree it is not cheap. But I must say it has been pretty much 100% rock solid in terms of reliability and performance.

I used to have multiple Asus routers in the house, using Merlin's firmware. I really liked those routers, but they still required reboots from time to time to resolve nagging WiFi connectivity issues. I have had zero WiFi issues since moving to UniFi Access Points.

The cameras and doorbell have been my most recent additions. I really like the local processing for "Smart Detections" and notifications of People, Vehicles, and Packages. I have also tied all of the cameras into Apple HomeKit secure video using "Scrypted" running 24x7 on a Raspberry Pi 4 (HomeBridge is another option.) If you're an iOS user, you'll really like how HomeKit handles video, including its own Smart Detection algorithms. It reliably detects vehicles, animals, and people. It even does a pretty good job of facial recognition.

Just be aware that UniFi's Protect NVR software only works with UniFi's Protect Cameras. They offer both WiFi and PoE cameras. Also, if desired, UniFi also has dedicated Protect NVR servers that support multiple hard drives for enhanced reliability and extended storage times.

It is good to have options! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just to add to the confusion, Ubiquiti also has a line of dedicated Routers known as Edgerouters. They're a bit different than UDMs or UDRs and don't seamlessly integrate into a Unifi network,

So to expand on other answers, you need 3 specific things to use Ubiquiti.

1. A Controller. This can be something like a Dream Machine (UDM) or Dream Router (UDR), or a Cloud Key (UCK). These devices "host" the network application. In the case of the UDM & UDR, they also function as a Router.

2. An Access Point (hot spot). These are dedicated devices, like the U6 or U6+, and have varying power, speeds and capacity. Usually PoE powered and often intended for ceiling mounting. In some cases, like the UDR, the Access point is built in to another device.

3. A PoE injector or Unifi Switch with PoE.

To add cameras, you'll need something to run the Protect app, such as a UDR/UDM or UCK2, that has Storage as well, or go all in and get a UNVR.

I think the cheapest way to "try it out" would be a UDR @$199, it is a WiFi6 AP, a network host, is a router, and can run Protect. However it is pretty limiting, and if you like the Unifi ecosystem, you'd likely have to replace it at some point.

I run an Edgerouter 4, a UCK2 Cloud Key, 4 U6 APs, and a UNVR with 6 cameras. I also have a whole host of their Switches.

Its ridiculous - but frankly its sort of addictive.

S.

2 Likes

Not to derail... But @scottgu3, can you give my Unifi Network driver a try?! With that many devices I would love to hear what it handles (or not). Although I cannot zoom in far enough to see what each Ubiquiti device in there is to tell which ones I "know" will work and which ones I have not ever identified before.

Of course, everyone else is welcome to try it as well. Always happy to get feedback.

2 Likes

Yep, can do. Ill let you know!

S.

1 Like

That actually is where I started going down this rabbit hole. the one thing that stands out to me, but I don't really know how it will affect me, is the max throughput rate OF 600mbps, vs my Asus listing up to 3000 Mb/s but I also don't think I get anywhere close to that, but again (I'm saying this a lot the last few days ) I'm not exactly sure what I looking for to figure it out either. right now everything in the house is on wifi, TV's, streaming boxes, Phones, tablets, computer appliances, and of course the hubs. occasionally we will get buffering with streaming, which is why I was going to run cable thought out the house and try and get the TVs, and computers off the wifi and onto ethernet.

That maximum refers to the WAN throughput. What speed is your current ISP providing? If you have Gigabit download/upload speed, I would avoid the UniFi Dream Router, as it will become the bottleneck. If you have 500Mbps or less from your ISP, the UDR will work well.

4,800 Mb/s (600mbps) on the Unifi compare to your 3,000 Mb/s on Asus should give you extra legroom for your WIFI. We are heavy streamers at home and I don't remember ever having issues with my UDM-Pro.

Ummm… 600Mbps (megabits/s) equals 75MBps (megabytes/s)

1 Like

True. But 4800 megabits per sec = 600 megabytes per sec - perhaps that was what was meant?

1 Like

Hi Clay. I have spent the last month updating my home network. During the process, I did some online research on Power-Over-Ethernet (POE) options. Below is a brief "POE Standards Introduction" I generated to assist me with my LAN hardware purchases. Sorry for not attaching as a separate document (couldn't generate the required PDF file format). Also, any comments or additions to my POE Intro would be greatly appreciated.

The following is my recommendation if you are satisfied with your current LAN setup and just want a simple short-term solution that extends the service life while simplifying the attic POE power distribution:

Assuming your 10 current POE cameras are "IEEE 802.3af" complaint (max power each is 15.4W), you need a IEEE 802.3af/at POE+ Unmanaged LAN switch with at least a 160W power capacity. Since you are installing it in the attic, the LAN switch should be fanless to prevent excessive dust/dirt buildup. Also, try to buy a unit with a higher commercial high-temperature range (-10F to 100+F). As suggested in other postings, be prepared to replace this LAN switch periodically. Since you are probably using standard-grade POE injectors successfully in your attic with success, you might get lucky.

Also, I have successfully interconnected two IEEE 802.3af/at compliant LAN switches using their POE+ ports. My 18-port POE+ LAN switches each have two non-POE uplink ports. The latest POE+ network switches are very forgiving and will auto-configure most client POE power connections and any transmit/receive cable issues.

Hope this information helps :slight_smile:

Power-Over-Ethernet (POE) Standards Introduction
PoE standards have three types: IEEE 802.3af, IEEE 802.3at, and IEEE 802.3bt. Those Power over Ethernet standards defines the minimum power that Power Sourcing Equipment can source and the maximum power that the Powered Device will expect to receive. PoE / IEEE 802.3af and PoE+ / IEEE 802.3at are the most common PoE standards that are widely supported by a majority of PoE devices. PoE++ IEEE 802.3bt is not in large-scale use.

IEEE 802.3af IEEE 802.3af, also known as standard PoE, operates at a voltage range of 44-57V and supplies a current of 10-350mA. In this standard, the maximum power output of a port is limited to 15.4W. However, some power will be lost on the Ethernet cable during the transmission. Thus, the minimum guaranteed power available at the PD is 12.95 watts per port. IEEE 802.3af can support various devices such as VoIP phones and sensors.

IEEE 802.3at The updated IEEE 802.3at PoE standard, known as PoE plus (PoE+), is backward-compatible with standard PoE. The supply voltage of PoE+ ranges from 50V to 57V, and the supply current can be 10-600mA. PoE+ provides up to 30W of power on each port of a PSE. Due to power loss, the minimum output power assured on each port is 25W. IEEE 802.3at can support devices that require more power like LCD displays, biometric sensors, and tablets.

IEEE 802.3bt IEEE 802.3bt is the latest PoE standard, known as PoE plus plus (PoE++). This standard defines two types of powering/wattage standards - Type 3 and Type 4. They will increase the maximum PoE power by delivering more power through two or more pairs of Ethernet cables. In Type 3 and Type 4 modes, PSEs will identify the PDs and allocate power based on the maximum power requirement of the PDs, resulting in an enhanced power delivery system. The standard will include support for 2.5GBASE-T, 5GBASE-T, and 10GBASE-T while existing standards have a maximum speed of 1-Gbps. This support expands the use of applications such as surveillance cameras and high-performance wireless access points and will create intermediate data speeds between existing standards. Type 3 Type 3 is also known as PoE++, which can carry up to 60W for each PoE port (minimum power ensured on each PD port is 51W) over a single RJ45 cable to power devices like video conferencing systems components. Type 4 is named higher-power PoE. It can supply maximum power output of 100W on each Power over Ethernet port (with a minimum assured power of 71W on each PD port). This level of power delivery is suitable for devices like laptops or TVs, etc.

1 Like

Agreed. Just not sure what spec @Navat604 was referring to with respect to the UniFi? Are we talking about WiFi throughput or WAN throughput?

To me, the UDR is just a little too limiting for users with significant home networks. It is a great little all in one solution for someone in an apartment. But for those who want the full UniFi experience, the UDM SE is a great solution. It has a 2.5 Gbps RJ45 WAN port which handles Gigabit+ speeds nicely. 8 built-in PoE ports for some cameras. Space for NVR hard drive. 10Gbps SFP ports for WAN and LAN. Etc…

2 Likes

It's supposed to be 800GB, but I think we are closer to 400 - 600. Hard to say. When I run a speed test from the computer it says 120- 230 usually. Spectrum says it is because it's an older computer. I do get somewhat faster speed on my phone/tablet, generally in the 330- 450 range. Currently, we don't have a gigabit service where we live. Ubiquity (apparently a different company) is building networks around us (under the name firstfiber), I’m hoping they come into our area in the nearish future

As for the speed, that 600 is what is listed on the product page for the UDR, the other is what is listed for the ASUS on their page.

Yeah, the UDR is definitely bandwidth limited.

Are you running your speedtest from a lan, or wifi connected device?

If you run it from a wifi connected device, your results will be limited by the throughput of your Wifi network, not by your WAN connection.

S.

Please be sure to not confuse WAN throughout versus WiFi theoretical bandwidth.

High end consumer routers these days often include a 2.5Gbps WAN port. The UniFi UDR includes. 1Gbps WAN port, if I recall correctly. However, it is CPU constrained and thus cannot achieve the full 1Gbps.

Which ASUS Router are you looking at? When I see things advertised as supporting 3000Mbps, or higher, they are almost always quoting theoretical WiFi total bandwidth, using all of the 2.4GHz, 5GHz, and sometimes 6GHz radios combined. This has nothing to do with WAN bandwidth capabilities. Also, no single client device can achieve much more than 1Gbps over WiFi 6. And that device would need multiple radios to achieve those speeds.

Also, units matter.
Gbps is Gigabits per second
GBps is GigaBytes per second

Mbps is Megabits per second
MBps is MegaBytes per second

There are 8 bits in a byte.

3 Likes

Ive done it from both. Lan is significantly slower than wifi, that's why Spectrumnis saying its because my computer is older (2017 model). Last speed test from my laptop this morning (on wifi) was 84.8 / 22.4 Mbps. Lan is a bit of a chore to do. not impossible, just a bit of work.ence why i want to just run cable and have certain things on ethernet vs wifi.

Ok.

Success. Ended up having to use a local account, as the 2FA doesn't seem to play nicely.

In any case, all 21 Unifi devices appear to be detected correctly. correction, see below

The Protect driver also worked perfectly, everything shows up correct, including the ViewPort and Chime.

It correctly id'd the G3 and G4 cameras,

The "bridge" devices confused me, as the are my APs, which also show up in the Network API. Ah! The UAP 6+ isn't seen by the Protect API. Looking back at the device in the Network API, device type is "Generic" instead of AP.

State Variables

• Kernel Version : 5.4.188
  • License State : registered
  • Satisfaction : 100
  • Device Status : 1
  • Device Version : 6.5.67.14811
  • Model EOL : false
  • SupportWiFi6e : false
  • Driver Name : UnifiNetworkChild
  • ID : 64c56140119bed2069c7e980
  • Uplink : {Speed=1000, RemotePort=5, Media=null, UplinkDevice=Garage Camera Switch 1, PortID=01, Enabled=false}
  • CPU Usage : 0.6
  • Uptime : 72 Days 22 Hours 46 Minutes
  • IP : 192.168.88.126
  • Has Fan : false
  • Board Revision : 16
  • Access Point : true
  • Device Type : Generic
  • MAC : f4:e2:c6:40:8e:aa
  • Hardware Type : uap
  • Driver Version : 0.2.7
  • Serial : F4E2C6408EAA
  • Has Speaker : false
  • Memory Usage : 60.1
  • Model LTS : false
  • Model : UAPL6
  • DeviceName : U6+

Other than that little thing, everything I've looked at appears perfect.

S.

Umm.... That shouldn't be the case what so every. If your laptop (as long as its gigabit) is hard wired to the router, then it should be significantly faster than wifi regardless of age., I mean, it is possible if the laptop has a mechanical drive, the perception could be lower because of the slow read/write the test is using but it still should be faster than wifi.