Can you set zwave association using builtin driver for RGBGenie ZW-3001?

Title pretty much says it all, I don't see any option to setup the association. Is it possible? From what I can tell this device really doesn't do anything unless you setup that association?

Not sure if the driver is supposed to allow you to create associations but you could always use the Z-wave Association App to create them. Its available on Hubitat Package Manager or here: Hubitat/Apps/z-waveat at master · InovelliUSA/Hubitat · GitHub

It's made by Inovelli but it should work on most if not all devices that support associations.

That doesn’t work. It throws an error because the built in rgbgenie driver does not implement setAssociation.

I have used the z-wave tweaker that @jtp10181 ported over from SmartThings. He said it's not completed but it did the job for me on a couple things. The Hubitat people don't seem to like associations so don't usually include the option in the stock drivers. Maybe there's a custom driver already made?

Have you tried the driver located here? Hubitat_RGBGenie/Drivers at master · RGBGenie/Hubitat_RGBGenie · GitHub

Yeah. Sorry if my question wasn’t super clear. It’s not a matter of can I do it other ways. I have it working. The question is can it be done from the built in driver? I guess my point is, why have a builtin driver for this device that doesn’t give you the ability to put the device into a working state? Seems very confusing especially when there are drivers built by one of the HE team memebwra that does have this capability.

None of the in-box drivers support associations (none I know of anyway).

Hubitat has said a few times that they intentionally did not add support for associations in the in-box drivers, as many users don't fully understand how they work (require the associated devices to have direct neighbor connectivity with each other, for example) and it can increase support requests/complexity (my paraphrasing of their explanation, not their words).

That said... Advanced users can always send ANY zwave command (including association set) to a device using the "Advanced" section in the device details page, though.

Guess my point is then why provide a driver specifically for this device? Literally the driver does nothing. It seems pointless and confusing from the user perspective. At least just pair it as a generic device. Providing a driver that is specific to the device just seems to make no sense.

1 Like