Can you play a sound file to a Google Home device WITHOUT the device's startup sound playing first?

Thanks to posts like this I see how to play an MP3 file to my Google Home Mini.

But... when the file plays, it is preceded by the Home Mini's own silly bloop sound. It just ruins the super serious Star Trek ambiance, man.

Is there a way to play a sound on these devices without the device making its own sounds, too?

If not are there other similar gadgets that don't have this behavior? (I have an Alexa too if that works?)

Try turning off ‘Play start sound’ in Google Home.

Not sure if this will do what you want.

Oh man, that looked promising! I didn't even think about looking in Google Home. Unfortunately when I found those toggles, they were already turned off. Thanks though!

1 Like

I poked around and saw a bunch of people with this complaint. In another HA forum people were using scripts to defeat the sound by muting the device, connecting, unmuting, and then playing the desired sound. Good grief!

EDIT: Nope! Doesn't work. The first connection always makes a startup sound even if the device is muted. Subsequent connections within a short time do not make the noise -- that is why I thought the test worked.

However, I DID get this to work in Rule Machine.

First I tried setting volume to 0, playing the idle sound, and restoring volume. But, for some reason, it still blooped. Muting the speaker, then unmuting, setting volume, and playing the track worked.

I hooked it up to a button and mashed it a few times and it seems to work reliably. :man_shrugging: