Can this rule use any latest RM feature such as sticky triggers?

I am trying to understand the sticky triggers described at Sticky Triggers and Other New Rule 5.1 Features

Just for my understanding, can the below rule be re-written/tweaked to be more efficient, or cleaner by using any of those new features?

The rule below turns off hvac, if a contact sensor is open for more than 5 mins. hvac is turned back on, once all contact sensors are closed.

@saurabh9 Think of "sticky" as stays... So contact "stays open" moisture "stays wet" lock "stays unlocked" for x amount of time , then do this think I want it to do...

You could do is , If any door open "and stays" open for 5:00 Set thermostat mode off. then adjust the rest of the rule accordingly.

Thanks, and that is exactly my lack of understanding at the moment. How is the new "stays open" for 5 mins, different than the older "stays open" for the duration of 5 mins ?

This example will trigger upon the passing of 5 minutes after the back Door opens and stays open. If the door closes before 2 minutes, it won't trigger.

If you want to change this rule to use the new functionality, you could do:

Predicate:
Not Thermostat mode of Thermostat off

Trigger Event:
Back Door Open and stays open for 0:05:00

Action:
Thermostats: Thermostat —> Mode: Off
Notify Follow Me…
Wait for condition: Back Door Closed —> Duration: 0:01:00
Thermostats: Thermostat —> Mode: heat
Notify Follow Me…

But… It won’t be triggered by the Garage door changing state. Out of curiosity, why does the message say “Windows …” when the trigger is the door?

2 Likes

Stays is for a trigger, while duration is for a condition used in Wait for Expression.

2 Likes

Good catch :smiley: that is because I moved all my sensors and setup from old house to new house. In old house this contact sensor was on a sliding window but in new house i put it on sliding backyard door. I'll update the message.

2 Likes