Can the 'Motion Lighting App' do this logic?

Cancel makes the delay go away. So if you walk into the room, motion triggers lights on. Then you walk out, motion stops. Easy so far.

The motion off starts a timer. The lights turn off after X minutes, no matter what. You return to the room, the lights turn off from the previously running timer.

With Cancel, you return to the room, and the timer resets. And resets again if needed. The lights stay on until you are truly not going back and forth into this room. So you want to cancel right away in the rule to let the motion re-trigger the rule.

Dimmers are both dimmers and switches. And generally, setting dimmer to zero is not really off. If you want off, use Switch>OFF in your rules.

1 Like

Dimmers can also struggle in the lower ranges so you may find that there is no difference in brightness between 0-20%.

Thanks much for shedding more light on that! So the motion sensor stays on throughout the day, and itโ€™s not going off in the morning at 8am, I canโ€™t quite get it to work. Am I missing a rule somewhere? Do I need to do a simple automation for motion sensor on/off at a certain time?

You mean the actual sensor, or the rule?

Sorry, the light is staying on past 8am, and the motion sensor keeps triggering it as well.

I would try this app first. Rule machine will work, but this might be a much easier option.

If that doesn't suit you, then Rule Machine can be revisited.

Here is a screenshot of my on/off rule:

And motion sensor rule:

Gotcha! Just saw your post after I added the screenshots. I'll definitely check that out. Thanks so much! I feel I'm super close because of everyone's superb help, thank you!!

That is not how I would have written that, but I am not an expert in rules. I am just OK with them.

I am not quite sure about some things in there like the Pause, I don't think that is working like you intended. And Dim 0 is not off, so that might be causing issues.

I can show you what I did in a similar situation, however mine looks quite similar to April's above.

That'd be great! How do you get to that screen like April shows? with the actual programming language?

Screenshot. In Windows, the command is CTRL> Print Screen. I just use basic Paint to paste and crop. I crossed out the parts you don't want (light colors).

At the very least, the base logic is here (IF, ELSE, ENDIF).

Awesome, thanks! I just meant, in the Hub settings, how do I show the screen with all that logic like that. I feel like i've come across it before, but the rules in my rule machine don't look like code.

If you are using Rule Machine, once you enter the rule, (click on the name of rule in Apps) it should look exactly like that. Nothing special otherwise.

Are you using conditions? I don't have those screens, craziest thing.

Nope. Just literally click on the rule name. Screenshot of what you are seeing?

This is how my rules show up:

Looks the same to me?

What do you think is different?

I'm meaning the code itself, showing the IFS ANDS and other Logic, like the actual programming language being read by the hub, I can't seem to get it to show the programming language screens. The text on yours and april's screenshots are much different than my simple text with youre having IF:ELSE statements directly from the code.

Oh,

So we are using conditional statements. If you go into the Actions section, Select Actions, Conditional Action.

From there you can select IF, ELSE, and so on.

Suggested reading:

And a movie.

There is also a part 2 on Youtube.

On the first rule:

• You don't need the wait for 9.30pm just make the trigger 9.30pm. It does the same thing but the wait is a needless step.
  • Change dim to 0 to switch off and maybe put the pausing of the rule before the off which should remove the ability for the light to stay on.

For the second rule

• You need to add a wait for inactive between the 2 dimming of the lights and no delay on the first dimming it should be on the second to stop the lights turnig off the moment the motion sensor goes inactive unless you want that.