Can I wire bathroom fan and its' light to one switch?

It's a light/fan combo. The light never gets used so I guess just bypassing it is an option, but can I just tie it together with the fan on a jasco switch? The issue is it's a 4 gang box and I don't wanna fight 4 switches. The other two are lights and the ones that actually get used.

I have one zooz in a small bathroom to a light and fan.

1 Like

As long as the combined load doesn't exceed the rating for the switch (not dimmer, right? :wink: ) then you should be fine.

2 Likes

We definitely don't recommend using Zooz switches with any types of fans. We've been including a disclaimer about it in the manuals and on the boxes. Motors in fans are unductive load and they can draw up much more power at start-up than they're rated for. These spikes are fine for mechanical switches but can damage the electronics in smart switches in the long run. We've seen that with many different brands over the years (that's why we created the ZEN15 Power Switch for humidifiers, AC units, and other plug-in appliances running on motors).

@agnes.zooz
Thank you for commenting about this. Is there any chance Zooz will eventually release a light switch (preferably the classic toggle type in my case) capable of handling an exhaust or ceiling fan? I know I'd buy several if they were available.
Somewhat related question: are you planning to release an S2 version of the toggle light switch?

1 Like

I would be interested in this exact thing as well. Currently using GE Zw+ Switches for my bathroom fans and Zooz for all my other upstairs lights for this reason.

We're working on a fan/light controller right now but it will be a button style switch with one of the buttons controlling the light and one of the buttons controlling the fan part of the switch. Demand for toggle style switches is falling but we are still planning to release an S2 version of them closer to the summer and will be releasing a VER. 3.0 with added software features in the spring (closer to end of April).

Unfortunately, we're not planning on adding a dedicated fan switch in toggle style but will explore the options to make the on/off version suitable for use with fans.

I have a lutron switch controlling my light and exhaust fan in my bathroom. No problems at all.

Lutron.. you need to check their spec's for Inductance. They may have the protective circuitry needed. There's reasons they are more expensive. :smiley:

Yes, the reason is they are reliable and some of the switches also don't require a neutral. :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.