Can I use an older Jasco Z-Wave switch with a Z-Wave Plus lock?

Moving into a new home and have a C7 waiting to be unpacked. I am planning on installing two Z-Wave plus locks (probably Kwikset). I also have a couple of unused older GE/Jasco switches that I never got around to installing in my previous Smartthings controlled house. I would like to use these switches to control the two sets of outside lights, and of course they would be in very close proximity to where the locks would be. Not sure if I need to use Z-Wave Plus switches for the purposes of repeating the Z-Wave network to the locks. I am going to install a lot of 700 series switches/dimmers, but if I can use these at the entrances, it will help me get the new mesh started this week.

Always build your mesh going in concentric spheres outward from the hub. You can install your locks in doors, but they shouldn’t be in the first set of zwave devices you include.

2 Likes

I've found Z-wave receptacle (in-wall outlets) to be very helpful in building a solid mesh. Most building codes have them well spread out. If you don't want to hate your locks, build a solid mesh.

3 Likes

If going with Kwikset see if you can get one with the Zigbee module if possible - you will probably have less issues. In general I have had better luck with Zigbee than Z-Wave for locks. I currently have 2 - a Yale YRD256 and a Kwikset 912 Lever Lock (no deadbolt). Both are Zigbee and both have been running great for a while now (2 years for the Yale, 6 months for the KS).

Of course others have had little or no issues with Z-Wave locks either so ymmv - just relaying my experiences.

3 Likes

If these "older" GE/Jasco switches are non-plus I wouldn't recommend using them as they won't accurately report their on/off state. SmartThings has automatic polling of switches which masks this problem. If they are unopened, sell them and purchase new Plus switches instead. I sold a bunch of older switches via the SmartThings community a few years ago when I was converting everything to Plus.

1 Like

Thanks. I may use these three switches in a non critical location, away from the locks. I got them from my local Walmart for about $10 each when they were on clearance.

1 Like

Yep I did went by many a Walmart buying them and those are the ones I replaced a few years ago.

1 Like