Can Anyone Recommend A Motorized Gate Operator?

I'm looking for a gate operator for a light weight farm gate.

I've seen Mighty Mule so far.

Thanks.

I have 3 of them and love them.

1 Like

All the gate openers I'm seeing operate on 24 vDC.
My old Chamberlain ran on 24vAC.
I strung some wire out there, have a landscape lighting transformer etc.

I got this for my double swing gate: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32793946967.html
It's been in service now for about 3 years, still working great.

You didn't mention if your was slide or swing. But if you just go to their storefront you can pick what's appropriate for you (size wise as well). I had an issue with the controller, and they were right on top of things - even offered to send an entire new board/box!

1 Like

It's a 12' single swing tubular farm gate.

Well there ya go! You can get the single motor version of the one I got - and the cheaper one without the strobe etc. I have very heavy wooden gates and it's had no troubles with them. There's a current sensor that detects when it's reached its extent of travel, so you MIGHT need to add some stops or something (probably just weld on a plate for it to bump into).

1 Like

I just finished installing a Mighty Mule gate opener on a 14 foot tubular framed gate across my driveway about two months ago. Very happy with it so far. Instead of using their dedicated app and "smart adapter" (which is WiFi connected) I installed Zooz Zen17 relay and connected it across the pushbutton terminals on the control box. Lets me control it pretty much from anywhere without the added cost of their add on box. Installing the opener was a bit time consuming, but pretty easy and it is very well designed. (BTW, if you don't need remote operation, the package comes with one short range remote for your car and additional ones are available cheap on Amazon.)

Which model number did you use? 371?

How are you powering it?

I have ~27vac at the gate from a landscape transformer in the house that powered my old Chamberlain. I'd like to use that if I could. I understand the transformer that MM has for trickle charging is 19vac.

I used the MM371W model. My 14 foot gate weighs about 100 pounds. The gate is actually powered by a 12 volt ATV/mower/motorcycle battery and the battery is maintained by the included 19 VAC transformer or optional solar cells. The 19 volt supply charges the battery through the gate's control box which regulates the battery maintenance charge. I would guess that 27 volts would be too much, and at any rate would probably void the warrantee. Can you access and replace the 27 volt transformer in your house with the 19 volt transformer and just use the same wiring to go to the gate? ( Also, I just powered the Zen17 directly from the battery) You might try talking to their Tech Service Dept about the acceptable voltage range at 800-543-1236 They were pretty helpful about a couple questions I had. Also the installation manual can be found at https://www.mightymule.com/wp-content/uploads/10022114-A-MM371W_372W_WEB.pdf

I thought of that after I wrote it down.
In fact, why not attach a Battery Tender to the battery via those wires?
It'd probably do a better job than the MM.

The battery they sell looks pretty lame for a cold winter.
I'm actually not crazy about the whole battery thing, although it would be nice in a power outage.

Tech support nixed my idea of powering it with 27vac.

For what it's worth... and not to step on the experiences of others but....

Mighty Mule and Ghost seem to be the two vying for the lower price Residential DIY units in the popular retailers & online and every time I go down the un-gated road of reviews & forum discussions neither of these two shine on the list of top 5 high use, robust, reliable, seriously & reliably lockable, and safe.

Now part of this is because (like other things that evolved away from "only available from installers with the la-de-da dealer channel relationship" to DIY available everywhere equipment) there are plenty of "trade naysayers" for the lower priced units stealing their business.

But there are also plenty of real DIYers out there griping about both those lower priced packages. Be it components didn't hold up, replacement parts were a costly hassle to get, or installation (and continued adjustment/fiddling) drove people to see red.

I haven't pulled the trigger yet, I was all set to "just go buy one" (of those) following the logic that "so many are sold, surely they're fine"....until I did some more homework about how I would install it and how well it would function over time. For an occasional use farm gate they're probably fine.

Any other brands you would recommend?

The Chamberlain we had for years was very reliable.
The mishap, illuminated in another thread, wasn't its fault.
I think Chamberlain got out of the diy market.

Liftmaster (Chamberlain) is one that has caught my eye. As with everything there ARE outfits willing to sell the better stuff to non-installers ( including Liftmaster ).

I'm not advocating any particular online vendor (I'm still trying to zero in myself)....but the few I've looked at over the last six months sold operators from multiple manufactures and in all cases there was marked differentiation from the stuff we see in the Big Boxes. Often with international commercial and residential recognition as well.

Yes part of that differentiation was price for sure...but there is quality, features, and backing your getting for the extra bucks....for heavier/longer gates this won't come at the $500 price point ....but maybe $1500 (and often less on sale).

I think some of the bigger names in the space have seen MM & Ghost addressing the market gap and made an attempt to put forth some viable offerings that are "competent DIY" friendly.

EDIT: Digging through old notes BFT is another manufacturer I had short listed. They're apart of a global producer of commercial and residential gates and access equipment. I'm in no rush so I'll wait for something in this class to reach (pop up) at my price point.

Everything's a tradeoff.
I would've bought another Chamberlain residential model like the one I broke, but they don't make them anymore.
I think I've settled on the Topens A8131.
I like the choice of power options it has: AC, battery backup, solar, etc.
I'm going to attempt to put the "UPS" power supply in the basement, and power it from there, without a battery.
The power supply is 24vdc.
I wrote an email to their support last night regarding cable length,and a very complete response was in my inbox this morning. That was impressive, but I'm impressed easily. This is the response:

Thank you for contacting us! This is agent Jessica from TOPENS Customer Service Team. It is my pleasure to be assisting you today.

The length of the UPS01 output wire is 3.3 ft. and the wire diameter is 2C x 18AWG.

If you need to connect the extension cord, it is recommend to extend the wire within 50 ft. with a 2C x 18AWG wire; if the distance is greater than 50 ft. and less than 167 ft., please use a 2C x 16AWG wire; If the distance is greater than 167 ft. and less than 330 ft., please use a 2C x 14AWG wire. Make sure the maximum extension distance does not exceed 330 ft..

Feel free to contact us if you have any questions or concerns during the product installation and use in the future.

Thank you again for being a valued customer! Your complete satisfaction is what we strive for. We at TOPENS are always standing by and ready to help.

Best regards,

Jessica

TOPENS Customer Service Team

I looked at the handy markings on the 12 gauge landscape wire I have in place already and came up with 250 feet.
The Chamberlain was successfully powered by a 27vAC landscape transformer, and this is 24vDC, so I'd be hoping for the best.
The remotes look goofy to me, and they get you the extra doo dads, like keypads. I mean, wouldn't everybody need one on the inside and the outside, or is that just me?

OKAY....now the TOPENS offerings may well change my perception of what reliability & features you can get for $500. Thanks for that. Never took notice of them before.

EDIT: Bolding "may" above and adding the below which never gives me a warm feeling. Especially after reading "their founder's story", about "Mike" and his mother.

""
Contact Information

Address: 8 Shengdi Road, Yuhang District, Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China
""

EDIT 2:
Photoshop fail. American flag together w/ international style speed limit sign; and then there's the poor English. I donno, this always is a REAL flag to me.

I got some clamps by Mighty Mule for the tubular farm gate.

Those tubes are extremely weak, which can be a plus as far as limiting the damage to an intersecting vehicle. :slight_smile:

Hey, you can see my old Chamberlain operator in the picture, may he rest in pieces.

https://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Mule-MMTGB-Bracket-Silver/dp/B09R2CLWSG

The late gate:

If you loved that thing I bet the electronics are all fine, check Ebay to see if anybody is selling a used actuator.

Should arrive Thursday, from Florida.

Finished installing the TOPENS A8131 on our farm type gate at the end of the driveway.

Installation was very smooth.
Here are some comments, observations, or whatever, in no special order:

• Remote range very good-better than zigbee and z-wave contact sensors I've tried
  • A Mighty Mule clamp worked well on the connection to the gate tubing
  • You could kill someone by throwing the all-aluminum wireless keypad at him, ie, heavy
  • The battery cover on the back of the remotes open clockwise; there are tiny little "O" and "C" charaters; I buggered it up somewhat
  • Powering the 24 vdc motor through existing 250 ft of 12 gauge landscape wire worked
  • I'm amazed at how light the power supply is, compared to the old 24 vac transformer
  • The reflective tape I bought at Amazon is peeling already-I think it's all the rain, ie, it's crappy
  • I ordered some hanging flickering solar lanterns from Amazon to hang on the gate
  • I have to get some more remotes
  • I don't think I will automate anything; maybe only use a contact sensor, if I can find one with the range, to indicate whether the gate is open or closed
  • This operator is easy to disconnect during a power outage: just turn a key; much easier than the old one
  • I put a Velcro strap over the rubber plug on top of the operator to hold it in better
  • It works smoothly

https://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Mule-MMTGB-Bracket-Silver/dp/B09R2CLWSG

https://www.amazon.com/KOOPER-Pack-Solar-Lantern-Flickering/dp/B0BTY14F3P

2 Likes