Can a Hubitat help when I lose internet Connection?

So, I have a Google Hub and Mini in my house. When i lose internet, and i ask Google to shut off Downstairs lights, And Google states trying to find an internet connection. I am wondering if I can use hubitat, to allow google to operate with only basic things like turning off lights, while not internet, Is this Possible.

1 Like

Google depends on the internet. The Hubitat hub can still control lights and stuff, but not using Google (or Alexa.)

4 Likes

And welcome to the community.

3 Likes

In these instances you could also consider having a tablet (android/ipad) or even your phone displaying a dashboard of your switches so you can still control them offline.

2 Likes

Yes, but you will not be able to use cloud dependent service like Gooogle home or Alexa while the internet is out. You would accomolish that using a dashboard. I highly reccomend Hubivue dahsboard, or the android only Hubitat Dashboard app.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the insight, I will give it a try.

1 Like

:+1:

Just bear in mind that you will need lights/switches that are controlled locally by Hubitat. Examples would be zigbee/z-wave devices, or specific WiFi devices like TP-Link KASA switches/outlets/bulbs or LiFX bulbs.

1 Like

you could use something like [Code Freeze] Web Pinger to ping a public IP address (8.8.8.8), and when it is "Not Present" (aka fails to reach it) then you can determine your internet is out, then have a rule turn off your lights

1 Like

This topic has been marked solved by the community and subsequently closed. For further discussion on this topic, feel free to create a new thread under a different category to continue the conversation.

If you are logged in, click [HERE] to get started.