Can 2 echo devices speak to one another in the same room? Conversation between them

Is it possible for 2 echo devices in a room to speak to one another, as-in have a conversation between the 2 devices?

I was using a Google speaker to speak to an Alexa device to execute an Alexa app which needs a pin. My Google speaker would speak the command to this Alexa speaker in the same room, wait X amount of seconds then speak the pin to execute the app's command within Alexa. However, as of late, my Google speaker via beta integration keeps dropping connection (dhcp reserved) and having issues receiving the trigger. I'd like to use another echo speaker to speak to another echo speaker.

Example:

Echo Speaker #1: Alexa, please tell Dodge to lock my car

Echo Speaker #2: Okay, what is the security pin?

Echo Speaker #1: 9999

Echo Speaker #3: Your vehicle has been locked.

Maybe, but why not just do:
Echo Speaker #1: Alexa, please tell Dodge to lock my car with PIN 9999

4 Likes

Honestly, I never tried executing the app with the pin in the command. I always thought you had to execute the command then wait for it to ask for the pin, then speak the pin. Let me try this and report back. :sweat_smile: :thinking:

Exact syntax may be closer to
Alexa, please tell Dodge to lock my car my PIN is 9999

1 Like

Hahah it worked. Your original syntax worked. "Alexa, tell Doge to lock my car with pin 9999".

Sadly, this didn't work on the Genesis Alexa app. They require the exact command with a pause, followed by security pin. Back to square one on this vehicles automation.

But thank you for the insightful approach for the Dodge command.

2 Likes

I can't remember the exact label for command on Echo Speaks but it is something like "Text as a Command" or similar. I would think you could do consecutive commands where 2nd one is your PIN.

1 Like

I know there's something called sequencing in echo speaks app that might assist with this.

However, my concern is that once an echo speaker sees another echo speaker is executed and waiting for a response, the one that triggered the command won't be able to continue to speak until the 2nd echo speaker stops listening for the response it's looking for. I've never utilized 2 different speakers at the same time to test this theory.

I'm going to have to test this out tonight, just figured I'd ask if anyone else did something like this.

Another option would be to use the “voiceCmdAsText” command where you can just set “tell Dodge to lock my car with PIN 9999” as a command in a RM rule for the Echo device.

Here’s an example I just tested out to get Delta to dispense 1 cup of water. The command will be different, but the principle the same:

3 Likes

Ahh seeing the screenshot allowed me to visualize this approach much better, as it was mentioned earlier by @stephen_nutt. I definitely need to figure this approach out for my other vehicle which requires the pin in a separate command.

Didn't have the juice last night to go move Alexa speakers from one room to another and fiddle with them to try to figure out if they can talk to one another. Eliminating a 2nd speaker would be stellar.

Might be a long shot, but maybe @tonesto7 :crown: can chime in on the capability with echo speaks and sequencing or combination of voice as command? :pray:

How about using a Fingerbot with a spare remote?

This doesn’t look pretty but it works.

Every night at 10pm the Fingerbot actuates and locks the Hyundai.

I say “Alexa lock up” and the Fingerbot locks the car.

Sadly, we both utilize the vehicles we own and don't have a stationary key to do this. I am all for thinking outside the box and using whatever I can at my disposal.

I did something similar to disarm my Blink cameras when I arrived home. Part of my "welcome back" routine instructed Echo Dot #1 to say "Echo, disarm Blink". Then echo #2 would say "What is your PIN number" . To make it work, I had to create a delay before Echo #1 could say "My PIN is XXXX". I am no longer using that instruction as part of my welcome back routine, and I forget exactly how I created the delay, but I think I just inserted commas, or dashes to delay saying the PIN#. It worked, but again, sorry, I forget exactly how I created the delay, you'll have to play with it.

That's fantastic to hear. This essentially means I can use 2 echo's to speak to one another. Since all of my echo's perform perfectly through echo speaks and never have issues missing commands or triggers. I am going to try this approach for sure for my other vehicle.

I can set that up in sequencing or RM with delays as I have it now. Just need to swap out the google speaker in my rule to another echo speaker.

Thank you for the confirmation.