Camect

I am on Sighthounds beta for ALPR, hopefully getting it in the coming weeks

Thank you! I am interested in your opinion on both. I am currently using iSpy without any recognition capability. Otherwise it works pretty well. I have 11 cameras. I would prefer something that runs on Linux - iSpy is on Windows.

I've been using it for a month or so with 4 cameras. People detection has been very good during the day but it struggles a bit at night. I'm using the camera's IR illumination and it frequently false detects cars and very heavy rain as people. The former isn't much of an issue since I'm using regions that excludes cars passing by. But I haven't been able to get around the latter which only seems to occur during downpours.

I'm running it on an old Dell Optiplex 7010 Core i7-3770 3.4ghz box with 8GB or RAM and the 4 cameras result in 35% - 40% CPU usage. SightHound has a 2 week trial available to the Pro version. I wasn't confident enough to buy after 2 weeks and asked if they could extend the trial for another 2 weeks which they did without balking.

They also have an unadvertised mid-tier license that allows up to 6 connected cameras for $120. I know you're looking at using 8 cameras but it's worth mentioning in case someone else is interested but put off by their $250 unlimited camera license.

1 Like

That was my reaction as well; there almost seems to be too little to setup in the app. But I will say that their detection rules creation workflow is very straight forward and seems to work well.

I loved sitehound. But it was too labor intensive for my primary server/tower. When performing other resource heavy operations (re-rendering video) it would cause it to lock up. They don't have a linux version unfortunately. They had the best motion detection I've seen. They have this great gate-way style method that can detect if an object or person is passing through the virtual gate. Works great too.

Maybe when I finally get a NAS set up I'll try it again in a VM environment.

So far, very impressed with Camect. The UI feels like it was created by programmers, but i'm used to that with HE :slight_smile:

I've got 15 nest cams running through it currently and its people alerts are seemingly very accurate so far.

Their support through their forum is very responsive at this time too.

" * Camect has an experimental UI for integrations with home control systems. It allows you to be notified of detections that are occuring, and to embed the camera display in another dashboard, and to change the home mode under external control. So far, it has been used to implement an experimental integration with Home Assistant. See

https://github.com/camect/home-assistant-integration
"

What i'm missing is the ability to call the makerapi from it so that I can trigger things in HE.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. Iā€™m curious how it works with the Wyze cams as they had it listed somewhere as a supported device. I wonder if I have to load the custom firmware or if they found a way to tap into the existing streams. Will have to check it out.

For nest it just auto detected them as you use the same Google account to sign in. For Wyze, it perhaps makes you find the stream URL...

Interesting. Is the Camect recording video from the nest cams?

Sure is. Will cancel my nest subs ultimately

Are you a movie director? :grin:

You guys made me cam hungry...

Nice! I don't believe that nest exposes the video streams which makes me wonder what the secret sauce is. Hopefully, Google doesn't have a way to shut that down.

Half are Nest Hub Max devices which I use as the touch panel and voice interface around the house. Add to that we had an intruder a few years ago so I have a love for people detection :slight_smile:

You can get to the streams quite easily by looking at the source code of the web page for each cam on the nest site too I believe. Not sure if they've done that.

The founders are former Google people too.

Thank you for the update! Exciting hearing about your experience, I definitely will be keeping an eye on this!

And a key question, post-Sonos-imbroglio, is - does it require cloud resources or can it all run locally?

It all runs locally and stores media locally, with cloud storage possible as an additional option.

I'm Arup, one of the Camect founders. Eric Miller mentioned this thread to me, and I see that others have already posted correct responses to all the questions asked. (Thanks!)

I just wanted to add one missing bit of info:

For Wyze cams it will auto-detect them and ask you to sign in to the service, just like it does for Nest... i.e. There's no need to install the RTSP firmware. You do also have the option of installing the RTSP firmware and manually adding the camera using the RTSP stream url if you prefer that.

4 Likes

Thank you Arup. Great to have you involved!

@innocent1 do Wyze cams connect to Camect locally with the default firmware (non-RSTP) or is it a cloud integration?