Camect

So far, very impressed with Camect. The UI feels like it was created by programmers, but i'm used to that with HE :slight_smile:

I've got 15 nest cams running through it currently and its people alerts are seemingly very accurate so far.

Their support through their forum is very responsive at this time too.

" * Camect has an experimental UI for integrations with home control systems. It allows you to be notified of detections that are occuring, and to embed the camera display in another dashboard, and to change the home mode under external control. So far, it has been used to implement an experimental integration with Home Assistant. See

https://github.com/camect/home-assistant-integration
"

What i'm missing is the ability to call the makerapi from it so that I can trigger things in HE.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. Iā€™m curious how it works with the Wyze cams as they had it listed somewhere as a supported device. I wonder if I have to load the custom firmware or if they found a way to tap into the existing streams. Will have to check it out.

For nest it just auto detected them as you use the same Google account to sign in. For Wyze, it perhaps makes you find the stream URL...

Interesting. Is the Camect recording video from the nest cams?

Sure is. Will cancel my nest subs ultimately

Are you a movie director? :grin:

You guys made me cam hungry...

Nice! I don't believe that nest exposes the video streams which makes me wonder what the secret sauce is. Hopefully, Google doesn't have a way to shut that down.

Half are Nest Hub Max devices which I use as the touch panel and voice interface around the house. Add to that we had an intruder a few years ago so I have a love for people detection :slight_smile:

You can get to the streams quite easily by looking at the source code of the web page for each cam on the nest site too I believe. Not sure if they've done that.

The founders are former Google people too.

Thank you for the update! Exciting hearing about your experience, I definitely will be keeping an eye on this!

And a key question, post-Sonos-imbroglio, is - does it require cloud resources or can it all run locally?

It all runs locally and stores media locally, with cloud storage possible as an additional option.

I'm Arup, one of the Camect founders. Eric Miller mentioned this thread to me, and I see that others have already posted correct responses to all the questions asked. (Thanks!)

I just wanted to add one missing bit of info:

For Wyze cams it will auto-detect them and ask you to sign in to the service, just like it does for Nest... i.e. There's no need to install the RTSP firmware. You do also have the option of installing the RTSP firmware and manually adding the camera using the RTSP stream url if you prefer that.

4 Likes

Thank you Arup. Great to have you involved!

@innocent1 do Wyze cams connect to Camect locally with the default firmware (non-RSTP) or is it a cloud integration?

They'll connect locally (assuming the camera is local to you) with or without the RTSP firmware, but connecting with the default firmware requires their cloud to be reachable when the connection is opened.

I recently read that even the current RTSP firmware doesn't allow the camera to be online all the time if it's out of touch with the cloud, but I have not verified this.

1 Like

Hi Arup, are there plans to integrate with hubitat or will you wait for a community member to do it? Appreciate you probably have bigger tasks at hand

We'd vastly prefer it if someone who stays on top of hubitat development could give it a shot, and would be happy to answer questions to help any such effort. (You're already aware of our API and the proof-of-concept Home Assistant integration we did to show that the API is usable.) That would be the best approach to getting an integration that integrates things the right way.

For our own efforts, we're paying attention to what users are asking for, and for us the top priorities for integrations right now are Alexa and Google Home. Smart Things was #3 when we surveyed users to see what they want, and when we get to that point, it could make sense to look at Hubitat at the same time if no one has done it by then.

The good news is there are lots of Alexa and Google users here AND it's highly likely that any work done to integrate with SmartThings may move you closer to having a solution for Hubitat. And we have an awesome bunch of developers over here - both "official" Hubitat and community.

Hi Arup, its a pleasure to have you involved in this discussion. I originally posted this as I was very curious about integration multiple cameras as I look at the disparity and cost associated with various current platforms for my future endeavors. I am so grateful to those, especially Ben, for all the feedback. I am planning a move to a new rental home, Arup can you provide any feedback or details on integration of the Arlo Pro family of devices?