Calling the Ghost busters

In recent times I've seen a few people having issues getting their UZB sticks paired w/Hubitat, or they pair but they have a partial device listing from their hub. This seems new to me, I don't remember this being an issue "back in the day" when I first published the Ghost Removal guide.

I had a ghost like this on my C7 a year or two ago...it wasn't doing anything to my mesh, things worked just fine. I did finally remove it more for OCD reasons, but it is possible (at least it was in my case) to have a ghost in Z-Wave Details that isn't harmful.

I'd at least try a migration, you can always blow everything away on the new hub and start over from scracth if you have to.

I never had that before either. This is the first time I've tried it with the C8. I don't know if it's hub related, or if something got changed in Simplicity Studio. Ill get a screen shot of whats not happening in a sec. The hub is shut down at the moment.

1 Like

That looks mysteriously like the QT near my house.

1 Like

Nope, Refresh>Refresh>Remove isn't getting rid of those devices.

this is all I get after running inclusion

Did the migration. Still can't get rid of those ghosts. Wonder if something happened with either the C8 or the latest firmware that is preventing ghost removal somehow?

A lot of people have removed ghosts from the c8.... I feel that there is something being missed but can't put my finger on it because it seems you've done everything...

yeah, the devices aren't on the device list, but they are still there in the Zwave details. I don't know it's really strange. I've done the stick things several times, and can't get that to work, the stick never includes in my hub. I might try uninstalling and reinstalling Simplicity Studio. Maybe my installation got corrupted somehow? I've tried the native removal process and that doesn't do anything. I get the remove button, but clicking it doesn't do anything.

When including it on the hub, in SI are you using classic or NWI?

Select learn, then NWI.

Try classic inclusion...

2 Likes

Also, on this, if you click the shield icon in the upper right, you can choose the security settings if you are not getting the prompt. I was having this issue with no popup
Aeotec Heavy Duty Smart Switch Gen 5 (ZW078) - Pairing with no security - #9 by FriedCheese2006?

1 Like

Ahh, did not know that ... ill check that out as well this afternoon. I think I'm going to just uninstall SS completely, and then reinstall. Im starting to run out of ideas of what I can do.

I mention it again in case it was missed. You said the ghost device was the result of a bad pairing. But you did not mention whether you eventually got the device paired and are using it as a different device ID currently.

If you eventually paired that device, and it is still powered on, then that can be part of the issue. It might even be why you are having difficulty pairing the Zstick. If you power the original device off that left the ghost, then you should be able to use the refresh, refresh..... remove option.

I am probably wrong and you have already checked that. But, it is worth a mention in the odd case that you had not removed power from the physical device itself.

1 Like

One was a bad pairing, and yes I have gotten it repaired. That actually happened in the course of trying to figure this out. now its ghost is a permanent resident.. One of them I have no idea what it was, one was a switch that was bad when I installed it and never got around to taking it out. the last one was an Aeotec range extender that dropped offline and I never could get it back online. power is pulled from all of them. I'm getting the remove button on all of them, it just doesn't do anything.

I think (it's all blurry now) that while I was trying to do this yesterday, the batteries were out of it while I was trying to pair the Z stick. I'm perfectly fine with excluding it again and pulling the batteries. it can't hurt to try again just to be sure. all of the other devices are definitely off the power, and I am getting the remove button on all of them, it just won't remove them. I've even removed power (as @thebearmay suggested above) and that didnt seem to make a difference.

did the classic inclusion work for you?

1 Like

I'm not currently at home. I'm going to try it as soon as I get home.

1 Like

Well, the Classic worked to get me included, One of the 4 ghosts wasn't there any longer. I was able to get rid of one, but still have two left in my Zwave Details, that DO NOT show up in the PC Controller.

I'm guessing the second (Device 171 in z-wave details) COULD be the UZB I'm currently using.

But the other, Device 111 is not listed in the PC controller

UPDATE:
Tuns out Device 171 was the UZB Stick I was using. I was able to finally get rid of DEVICE 111 through the UZB stick process (and a couple of other ghosts) removed using the native Refresh/ Rmove process. Since that wouldn't work no matter what I did last night, I don't know if having a UZB connect somehow made it work today. Either way, all of the ghosts have been sent back to the graveyard. Thank you to those who helped!!

1 Like

Hi everyone. I have tried every trick in the book, ranging from power cycling, to using a brand-new, clean laptop, to multiple UZB sticks, to turning off security, to a soft reset, even running in safe mode. I can’t get the UZB to learn, so it can’t do anything about the legions of ghosts.

Is there anyone I could pay to wipe out the Forces of Darkness? Or maybe send to Hubitat?

Yes, I could do a hard reset or buy a new Hubitat, but given the number of devices I have, I’d be wandering around in the dark for a week with no heat. :wink:

Thanks for any advice. :slight_smile: