Calling the Ghost busters

Recently for some unknown reason, I have had a bunch of ghosts show up on my mesh, A few were devices that I have not used in a while, one was a switch I tried to install about a year ago that didn't go well. It wasn't bothering anything, so I left it, but all of a sudden my zwave went weird earlier this week, so the time seems right to clean things up a bit.

The problem I am having with this switch. I can't get rid of it. I have tried the zwave stick thing. That got it out of my device list, but it's still on my zwave details page. I tried the Ghost removal steps listed here. I had to click refresh several times to get the remove button. Now I have clicked remove several times and even followed up with a reboot, and this thing won't leave my zwave details. I tried to go back to the zwave stick thing, and now I can't get any of my sticks (2 Sillabs 700 and a Zooz 800) stick to include. Does anyone have any ideas?

Have you done a shutdown and remove power for about 30 seconds?

ghostbusters 2 GIF by Stan.
Is it too early for a GB GIF...?

My mind has always wandered to this when people talk about Z-Wave Ghosts.... I wish we had them in Zigbee meshes, if only for the pop-culture references... :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No, just clicked remove several times and a reboot,

If the ghost is from a device that you eventually successfully paired again (as another item in your device list) and/or is still powered on, that is likely your issue. The Z-Stick method would still remove it. BUT, you will likely have to power down the device so that the hub can't communicate if you are trying to exclude it using the hub's exclusion mode.

Try the shutdown and remove power - that will force a clearing of the radio cache and may clean things up for you.

When removing ghosts in the SiLabs software, don't confise dec for hex

My problem is I can’t even get that far. Three sticks, two Silbs UZB7’s and a Zooz 800, to include to even do that.

When you do try to include it, does it look like a ghost that just says device?

2 Likes

Funny... We put on Casper for my kid last night and I didn't realize that the 1st cameo was Dan Ackroyd in full ghost buster outfit... Second cameo and by far my favorite was Father Guido Sarducci

1 Like

When you tell them that the dog tells you all their secrets, including their criminal activity, I'm sure that will blow their mind....

1 Like

No, it never includes. I never get the list of devices from the PC controller. A few times I only got a partial list. I have done this process a few times (but I still keep @danabw guide at hand just in case). I've never run into this.

One thing I found is when I have to pair my stick to my laptop, it's best to do it within 10 feet of the laptop and don't use security

Do you mean the Hub? I'm within 10 feet. Probably about 4 feet horizontally, and about the same vertically. It never even asks me about security. I haven't used security previously.

Using a POE switch, would disabling the port suffice? or should I physically disconnect it from the switch?

Shut down, disconnect power physically to be sure, wait a minute, reconnect power.

1 Like

For background, this is my original C8 (the one I have been having problems with Homekit). I was getting ready to migrate to a new hub that solves the Homekit problem, but I didn't want to migrate a bunch of other problems, so I cleaned up the lingering issues before I did. I'm beginning to think the hub itself is just a lemon and I'm going to end up needing to completely rebuild my meshes and start over on the new hub.

In recent times I've seen a few people having issues getting their UZB sticks paired w/Hubitat, or they pair but they have a partial device listing from their hub. This seems new to me, I don't remember this being an issue "back in the day" when I first published the Ghost Removal guide.

I had a ghost like this on my C7 a year or two ago...it wasn't doing anything to my mesh, things worked just fine. I did finally remove it more for OCD reasons, but it is possible (at least it was in my case) to have a ghost in Z-Wave Details that isn't harmful.

I'd at least try a migration, you can always blow everything away on the new hub and start over from scracth if you have to.

I never had that before either. This is the first time I've tried it with the C8. I don't know if it's hub related, or if something got changed in Simplicity Studio. Ill get a screen shot of whats not happening in a sec. The hub is shut down at the moment.

1 Like