C8 Zigbee Radio Turning Off/On Multiple Times a Day

Thanks. I figured that was the case. It would have to be a zigbee device I guess as the C8 didn't have any apps or integrations. I used it solely to hold zigbee devices which were then used by my other hub with rules, intergrations etc. via hubmesh.

At this stage the C7 is running trouble free with the Zigbee devices so may keep everything on the C7 until whatever is causing the issue is sorted out.

After moving all but one device back to my C5, all things zigbee have returned to normal. The last device is a Sinope Thermostat and moving it involves redoing a number of rules, but I will do that eventually and shutdown the radio.

In my testing, reducing the number of devices down to a handful was the only thing that stopped the errors. And when I have done that I lose the benefit of the mesh and saw a lot more misses.

My only complaint is that I have shades in a room at furthest point from the C5 and I have to send those commands out multiple times to ensure that they work. I didn't have that issue with the C8 with its antennas.

So I will watch this thread to see if this issue is solved and will then dive back in and move devices over to the C8. Meanwhile I have been enjoying flawless Z-wave on the C8.

I got a replacement hub with no charging brick and no antennae, but it's normal for a piece of replacement equipment, and it doesn't mean it's not new or was returned.

So far, the replaced C-8 works properly, but considering the old one started acting out a couple of months in, the jury is still out on whether I had defective hardware or it behaves "as expected" (i.e., bad).
Looks like this thread settled at "There is nothing we can do about it, replacing C-8s won't work, so just go back to C-5/C-7" and we shouldn't be OK with that.

I concur - I have thrown in the towel. It was a lot of work to move devices, update rules. Then move the devices back and update the rules again. So not planning anything until someone mentions it is safe to go back in the water (after Shark Week).

1 Like

One thing I recently found was that my zigbee up/down issue was cause by a driver not being able to get to a lan device and constantly retrying (the retries weren't be shown in the logs). Once that lan device was disabled on hubitat I had not gotten any errors again. Just a datapoint for people to maybe start with disabling any lan integrations on their Hubitat as part of their diagnostics.

Interesting (LAN devices). I have a few original Sonos One speakers that I integrated at some point. I would get infrequent zigbee drops, but that stopped once I removed the Sonos integration.

Only you having mentioned LAN integrations being suspect does it now appear somewhat obvious that the drops started and stopped along with the my Sonos trials.

Lightbulb? :innocent:

...bob

1 Like

What LAN devices were your issue? Curious to see if I have anything similar. Thanks.

In my case it was my iotawatt. But it was from the constant retries when it was offline (not the polling as that only happened once a minute) The retries weren't showing in the logs.

That is the same thing I mentioned above. I forgot to add above that the logs didn't show anything for me either.

I am not sure I would agree with that statement. I do think people are having issues with the C8 for some reason. It just isn't clear whether that is software related, firmware related, chipset related, incompatible devices, some aspect of the migration process, or what.

Regarding darren3220 issues, two hubs are very unlikely to suffer the same exact issues if it was a hardware problem with the hub itself. I am not saying the problem doesn't exist, or shouldn't be diagnosed or fixed, but it won't do any good to keep swapping the hub if it isn't the hub causing the problem.

I know from personal experience that it is very frustrating when your home is acting like demons have processed it. So that leaves us with a couple choices to get a working smart home, none are optimal. This list is worst to best choice, in my opinion.

• Leave the C8 and reboot daily, live with the quirks until a potential cause is found.
  • Go back to a working configuration (C5 or C7) until a potential fix is published.
  • Try to diagnose whether it is a device, app, or integration causing the problem.

The third is time consuming, but one that we as users can do. Maybe we can find a common root cause if everyone was able to point to a particular device, driver, integration, or none of these, like maybe code issue?

Both @rlithgow1 and myself had a LAN device issue, but it wasn't the same integration (I don't have iotawatt). Maybe just the simple fact that (some? many? all?) LAN integrations don't migrate properly is what is causing grief, hard to say.

This thread is 529 messages in and still no light at the end of the tunnel. Issues with Zigbee is unfortunately a foundational issue.

I love my Hubitats, but after weeks of testing and playing I have definitely moved to the point of reverting to older hubs and sitting and waiting.

1 Like

There is definitely a lack of clarity (on both our and HE's end) regarding the exact sources of the Zigbee issues on the C8. It is different a different world overall on the C8 vs the C7.

Some may be having "hidden" LAN integration issues as noted above, others have more mysterious issues that have yet to be identified. I do feel from my own extensive interactions w/HE support on Zigbee issues that they have spent a lot of time/resources investigating the issues, their efforts have been significant.

2 Likes

Hi All, not sure if this information will help or not. The story is that I have recently changed the internet provider but missed changing the IP address in the network settings for Hubitat. Hence I didn't have any connection and Hubitat hub and cloud for a couple of days due to the above.
Interestingly, while there were not any issues with my user experience (apart of not getting the notifications when away from home) I found that the zigbee radio did not switched off/on any longer during those couple of days. At least this is what the logs showed and besides that not anylonger zigbee devices being taken out. Once again not sure which is the explanation or if this bit of information helping in any way.

Well, we know that cloud backup sometimes takes out Z-wave.

Look what's popping back up. Really frustrating when it's been fine for so long.

Are the reboots affecting devices, bouncing them off the hub?

Any recent changes, in terms of new Zigbee devices or LAN integrations?

Yes, it knocked off all my Ikea Zigbee shades and 6 of my zigbee smart outlets.

There have been zero changes to my system. The only thing I have noticed is that after running for 2 months straight with no issues I had to reboot it due to low memory. That was the only thing that happened before the radio outages.

1 Like

i am down to one 9 sec reboot every 3-4 weeks which i can live with.. i have had 3 devices drop off but that is because the house is empty and the batteries died..

that given .. at my other house i have the c8 still sitting in a box as the c7 is working fine and i really don't want to tempt fate just to have the latest and greatest..

1 Like

Are those Ikea as well?

And are the devices getting repeatedly knocked off and stick after you re-join them, or ?

really wish they would release a newer c7a with the new chipset so we could get total backup and restore which is the one option on the c8 i love.. it would be an interesting test to see if the issues go way, and would probably let us figure out if the issue is really the newer chipset vs the external antenna and power settings.

Those 6 outlets are the centralite smart plugs. All I need to do is unplug them and plug them back in and they work again.

I had to physically re pair the ikea blinds though.