C8 Zigbee mesh is a hot mess

(screenshot deleted)
from there down its just a list of devices...

It's a feature that's currently being beta tested and hasn't been released yet.

probably why I don't see that, thx.
I have been having problems with the Zigbee mesh or random zigbee devices since I upgraded to the C8. The C7 was quit stable. I just HAD to go for the new thing. I kept thinking it was me or just weird random persistent oddities. things would fall-off, not respond, then maybe would, or would have to be re-paired. I didn't consider even looking here, in the community until now. After I ordered a replacement for the outlet and then another device fell off and won't rejoin. I finally thought, I wonder if anyone else is having these issues...

1 Like

Some have had ZigBee issues, including me. An unfortunate time to be one of the "lucky" few to beat the odds and have an uncommon problem.

ha. It ain't always good to be special.

1 Like

You could...

1 Like

interesting... :thinking:

1 Like

If you are still using your old hub, even if the Zigbee radio is off (doesn’t actually turn off), enable it, change the channel, and then disable it. You can also experiment with the Zigbee power output to see if a little more power helps.

Thanks for the thought. The old hub has been safely stored in it's original box since the C8 arrived. Like an old friend, pushed aside. I must apologize to this solid reliable friend.

By the way, interestingly enough, another historically rock solid zigbee device fell off this morning. It's like a slow row of dominoes, one after another every few days or seems hours now, another one bites the dust.

Do you have power reporting going on anything? How are you on repeaters?

I don't have any power reporting devices. I have several in-wall, always powered, switches, dimmers and outlets as repeaters throughout the house. There are several plug in type outlets. I have a few battery powered, end item motion sensors, bulbs blind/shades and one temperature sensor.

the plug in type outlets may be power reporting and doing it too much. Something to look at possibly. Also look at hub events and see if the zigbee radio is shutting down.

Where do I look for hub events?
found it...

logs....

it "says" device joined, however it never actually joined. I made numerous attempts resetting the device, re-initiating the pair sequence, sometimes it would find a "device" which didn't work and even after updating the device driver, would not work. Sometimes it reported not finding a device. I checked both the devices tab and the Zigbee devices under settings, not there, nothing new, no odd or "ghosts" found either.

I'd tag support team and see if they see anything in the engineering logs

Thank you sir. I appreciate your help.

I'm thinking my next step (before I try going back to my C7) will be to change the Zigbee channel to 15. Hoping to try a different route avoiding the WIFI mesh which I believe is on WiFi channel 6. If I understand correctly, the HE and the Zigbee devices should renegotiate on the new channel 15 over a period of time, soon to approx 24 hours? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Below is the Zigbee/Wi-Fi guide...if your Wi-Fi is on 6, then 15 or 20 should really be OK. If you don't have any interference with neighbor's Wi-Fi, moving your home Wi-Fi to 11 should be even better. Confirm 20MHz channel width on your 2.4 Wi-Fi settings (if that setting is available). That is usually the default setting.

In my experience, most devices re-connect pretty quickly, I had only a couple that needed a reboot or reset to re-connect the first day. But yes, everything should normally be up and running fine within a day.

2 Likes