C8 Z-Wave Devices Sporadically Not Receiving Commands

I have a holiday lighting plug unplugged sitting here next to me, zwave works great.

Since his unplugged devices show no neighbors what problem will it cause? No device will try to talk to them.

I had a set of 3 ZWave devices that use each other for routing that extend in a straight line from the hub to my Pool area. Two of the devices that are closest to the home are 30ft from the hub. The third one is another 40 ft away. These 3 outdoor devices have always worked well but share a single circuit. High Humidity due to days of rain causes the GFCI to trip every year. Never seen an impact to the mesh over 4 years and 3 Hubitat Hub models. I did a power cycle, which is an ultra rare event for me, and the mesh went from perfect to horrible... 2 minute response times. It took days for me to decide that those "harmless" dead ZWave devices should be restored. That fixed it. My hypothesis is that when they fall off, yearly, the hub is up, and the mesh is good. As long as that's true, their absence is invisible. But a power cycle caused those harmless devices to become critical. Light rain is due again today, and if the GFCI trips, taking out those 3 devices, I'm expecting there to be no issue, just like previous years.

However, in this Topic, advice has been given to power cycle the Hub to potentially "unjam" the radio... which might elevate those missing devices into some priority that then kills the mesh.

I have unplugged, waited and rebooted the C8, also plugged in the portable Leviton plugs. Will wait to see how the topology shifts throughout the day.

Dan

My hub has been power cycled since it has been unplugged. I am thinking it has to do with the neighbors count. If other devices still consider it a neighbor they might be trying to discover it when the hub cycles.

I have tried all suggestions to no avail. I have swapped the antennas, power cycle, plugged in two portable plugs/repeaters, upgraded to the latest…nothing changes the fact that the top horizontal line in the topology map is red.

Wondering if I have a defective unit. Would love to have a staff member help out here @support_team

Dan

1 Like

I just realized yours is showing the 0x02 - 0x05 HUB nodes as neighbors as well which I have never seen before on my Hub. Can anyone else confirm if that is normal or not?

I think it's a result of a C-5 (500 series radio) to a C-8 (800 series radio). The 500 chips didn't reserve 2-5, while the 700 and 800 series do. Therefore, a seamless migration could potentially "step on" the reserved nodes. I believe that the 700 chip is able to use an alternate set of reserved... I have 100x more Zniffer hours on that 700 chip than I have on 800 and I do believe I have seen it .

I could use some help from @support_team in solving this.

Dan

Yes my hub before one of the zwave database changes to fix corruption issues got some corruption and the chip made new reserved nodes at like 70-74 when it was updated. The old ones are there also but not used by the hub and I am afraid to delete them.

I see in the code for the mesh tool it is hard coding nodes below 6 with the name "HUB" in the neighbors list which in this case is not correct and what confused me. So his 02-05 nodes are actually devices.

if (neighborId < 6) {
				html += useHex() ? '0x0' : '' // 0-pad for hex value
				html += `\${neighborId} - HUB`
			}
2 Likes

I discovered something after upgrading to the C8 that may be worth your time to investigate. I was having similar random issues after my upgrade. I had moved from a C7 to C8 via the migration tool with no issues. The C8 was in the exact same spot physically as my C7. My C7 was in an in-wall enclosure close to a hue hub, lutron hub, and a couple of other things. This never caused a problem for my C7. I discovered however that the lutron hub was causing some sort of interference for the C8. I moved the C8 away from the Lutron hub and all the issues resolved. It is repeatable. I can move the C8 back to its original position and there are specific devices that immediately have problems, that can be immediately rectified by moving the C8 to its new position. Long story short, there's no technical reason the lutron hub should interfere with hubitat's Zwave, and it didn't on the C7. But it absolutely does on the C8. With the C8 more isolated, my range is better and my mesh is stronger that it ever was on the C7. This all stands to reason as a more powerful, more sensitive radio will also be more sensitive to interference in most cases. So if I had to bet, you're picking up physical interference from a source that had minimal to no impact on the C7.

3 Likes

I have been wondering same thing. :frowning:

Let us know how test goes. Would rather not move the Lutron hub, or any of it, but it does seem to be a possible cause of the Zwave issues some of us are seeing.

One advantage the C-8 has is that one can get alternative antennas that can be mounted many feet from the hub.. altering the interference characteristics. Ignoring the mounting demands, one could just get a 50ohm antenna cable to try out the advantage by moving the exiting antenna's out a few feet.

https://www.amazon.com/Bingfu-Extension-Bulkhead-Security-Wireless/dp/B07T7V333N

I would think this is a more complex solution to simply finding a better spot for the hub itself, but a small minority might like the challenge. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Or, for $1 more, get a couple antennas & an extension. :slight_smile:

A couple of us are using this on Z-Wave w/good results (more direct connects, better connection speeds):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09CDJ66K2?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

But as always, YMMV...

1 Like

My Lutron hub is literally right next to my c-8 antennas. For those that have seen issues, how far did you have to move it? I would really like to keep all my automation hardware centralized in the house.

1 Like

Do these work for both ZWave and zigbee?

I've only used them for Z-Wave. They look like they are dual, like the stock antennas, as they support the 900mz range of Z-Wave as well as 2400mz of Zigbee.

• Frequency Range: 698-960 MHz, 1710-2170 MHz, 2300-2700 MHz; Gain: 7dBi; Direction: Omni-directional; Waterproof: Rainning Proof;

@bertabcd1234 Robert - can you confirm?

Can't confirm from personal experience, but the ones I bought look identical, and both of their specs say that Zigbee and Z-Wave frequency should be in range. I've only used mine with Z-Wave, and it's been great so far.

1 Like

For those using, are your hubs still relatively centrally located or were you able to move off to a corner?

My previous experience with my c-5 in a corner of my house was not good. Then I moved to center of house, and continued with c-7 which worked great.

Thanks.

Mine is centrally located, slightly biased towards one end of the hose, but only 10-15' away from center. Never had the hub in a significantly off-center spot.

1 Like

Yeah. And that’s my concern moving it, even if it does get it away from my Lutron hub. :confused:

Might try moving the Lutron hub a foot or so and see if it makes any diff. They’re difference frequencies, but doesn’t mean they’re not causing some issue. :confused: