C8 pro, another new hub? I'm confused

@mike.maxwell is the new C8-Pro SoC using a newer arm architecture?

What does that have to do with anything. And the car companies do let you know when the new models are coming out.

Let's end this conversation.

It means theyā€™ll release new hardware on whatever timeline they decide to.

Users will have to decide when or if they want the absolute newest hardware every time it is released.

4 Likes

Yeah, I gotta back @bravenel and his peers here. When I go to the farm shop and buy a sirloin, I don't get miffed when they have a fillet for sale the following week.

It's easy to criticise, but let's give context. If HE remained with a C8 for the next few years, then nobody would complain about the new C8-P release because there would be no future product to condemn. However if a few years elapsed without an evolution like the C8-P, then folks would moan and say that HE staff are not modernising their products. They can't win amongst moaners.

Come on guys, cut HE Staff some slack. Lets not forget that their product is local, excellent, reliable cheap and getting better. Why wouldn't they keep advancing the product. Lets face it, their margins must be tight, given that they don't sell smart sensors.

Just my tuppence

10 Likes

Ohh go digging in the forums. Numerous times over the past few years this is EXACTLY what people have said they would pay more for in a pro version. They just gave the market what it has said it wanted for years.

8 Likes

Those complaining are just in a fear of missing outā€¦

I have been on the fence on C8 for a while, I still have a C7, and I could still be on the fence, but thenā€¦ the arguments that prevented me from buying a C8 are still to date for the C8 Pro: my C7 works just fine, so why would I change it ?

I donā€™t need newer Zwave, nor larger Zigbee range, nor more CPU (my hub rarely goes above 20%)ā€¦

If you change only for the sake of changing, then fine, be angry that you changed recently, but you should be angry at yourself, not at Hubitatā€¦

4 Likes

Ironically, Hubitatā€™s release of Matter on C7 is probably the one thing that makes me on the fence on buying C8ā€¦ I was going to buy C8 when I wanted some matter device that I couldnā€™t get on C7ā€¦ but now I can get those, so I donā€™t know when I will buy the next hubā€¦ maybe when they get Thread built in, or Bluetooth, or maybe I will discover that I really do need the C8P upgraded cpu to run the Matter devices I wantā€¦ but in any case, itā€™s going to be when I need the new hub to do something I donā€™t do today.

So I would say that Hubitat is not driving people to always buy the new hardware, quite the contrary. They release it for those who want, and they support those who donā€™t

3 Likes

Presumably those who purchased a C-8 last week were attracted by the combination of price-point and specifications, i.e. they got the desired value for their money.

Releasing the C-8 Pro hasnā€™t diminished the specifications inherent to the C-8. Itā€™ll still work as well as a C-8 can.

So Iā€™m not sure what your point is.

6 Likes

Wouldnā€™t it be the 6th?

C-3
C-4
C-5
C-7
C-8
C-8 Pro

Unless the difference in silk screening between the C-3 and C-4 does not count ā€¦

1 Like

I was just thinking the same thingā€¦ six hubs in six years. Why would anyone be shocked/surprised by another new model? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::sunglasses:

4 Likes

Well I was customer #3 for the C-3 hub so for me this has been a very long journey. Happy to be along for the ride.

22 Likes

#3 - impressive! :slight_smile:

But oh noes!! @ogiewon bested in the race... :wink:

3 Likes

Yeah, that's all it was, the only difference between C-3 and C-4 was silk screened logo. So those are the same hardware.

7 Likes

Absolutely correct and I applaud you.

What you are missing is a clear cut comparison of the current vs new.

You can go on Amazon and see the comparison between versions of the echo. AMD shows you comparisons from this gen cpu to the next.

Thatā€™s all people are looking for. The details.

2 Likes

Wins. Perfectly put IMHO.

:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

4 Likes

Do you mean this?

Reference:
https://www.amazon.com/Hubitat-Elevation-Automation-Pro-HomeKit/dp/B0CR4G1G8M/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3N7VMPS9WY5WN&keywords=Hubitat+pro&qid=1706317156&sprefix=habitat+pro%2Caps%2C103&sr=8-1

5 Likes

Looks like they need to update the matter tick for the C-7, unless I'm misunderstanding something.

Edit - I was.... That is coming....

2 Likes

C7 Matter support is still in beta, I think?

4 Likes

Ah, yes, my bad...

1 Like

I think that's a pretty open secret at this point :sweat_smile: And I think 2.3.8 will drop pretty soon here (no insider info - just my own hunch).

2 Likes