C8 Motion Sensor Problems

Does anyone know when this will work, like it did on the C-7, and if not,

• It workson the C8 now - you can join the Hue motion sensors directly to the C8, as Hydro noted. I have two Hue outdoor motion sensors on my C8.

Would spending the money on a Hue Bridge help, and if not,

• Probably only if you wanted to get Hue lights and run them via the Hue integration into HE. One thing about using Hue bulbs on a Hue hub w/HE is they are rock-solid/no problem. I've never used Hue bulbs joined directly to the Hub, so can't comment on that.
Who has a sensor that actually works, and that:
a) has battery life beyond a week (Zooz I am looking at you)
b) does not use some weird-o and expensive battery (Zooz again)

Some good Zigbee motion sensors, all join directly to the HE hub:

• Hue (indoor and outdoor)
  • Third Reality (and uses AA or AAA so they last a long time)
  • Centralite
  • Aeotec (more expensive)

There is also a newer generation of mmWave motion sensors that could be interesting to you if you're just starting out w/your motion sensing hardware. A key benefit is they can handle the use case when you're sitting still in a room, where traditional motion sensors don't work so well:

I pulled the integration out and tried pairing directly. Same result: it says is it pairing, but doesn't.

I have a possible solution. I have ordered a Lutron Caseta sensor and will run it through my Lutron Caseta hub and integration, which is working flawlessly.

Can't remember exactly, but I remember something about the Lutron integration not passing motion info via the HE integration. You should check into that.

So your Hue sensors won't pair w/the C8? Did you fully reset them? IIRC it's a 15 to 20s hold on the reset button on the back of the sensor.

Yes I did do a full reset.

Casetá motion sensors do not report motion via the Smart Bridge Pro.

I would try joining the hue sensor in a different location.

2 Likes

The Hues should be fine on a C8 - I have two vSML003 sensors paired to mine now, and I had an old SML001 on for a while too (it was since replaced with a 003).

Cancel the Caseta order unless you could use that sensor outside of Hubitat - as others have said, it's a no-go via telnet.

PS: if I run into HE integration issues, I can do what I want via Lutron’s own app as what I want to do involves all Lutron devices.

I canceled the Lutron successfully.

Now what? Do the reset and try try again? I can put the sensor within 2 feet or so of the C-8.

Any tips or tricks are welcome.

EDIT: I found a fresh V2 in my Home Automation stuff. Newer version with an actual button for reset or setup. I followed the IKEA-like instruction sheet and bang! I am up and running perfectly with the fresh sensor.

Yes. I did replace the batteries in the other one even though the factory batteries were healthy. It never worked.

Glad you're part-way there.

So the first Hue motion sensor doesn't have a reset button? Above you said that it was also a v2. But are you now saying they are different?

The early version(s?) had a pinhole reset that was pretty cludgy. The newer button-style is a welcome improvement.

1 Like

The old one has a recessed button needing something like a SIM extractor tool to work. The newer one has an accessible button. The new one was discovered and in my C-8 in about 5 seconds. Problem solved.

1 Like

Paperclip fits in the hole. Hold it down until it starts flashing.

Yes, a paper clip as well. I did hold it til it flashed. Then I held it til it flashed then pressed for one second. And several variations. Nothing. And yes, I installed fresh batteries.

The new sensor I had in stock works perfectly. .

Also, there are a couple of options when joining, something like 'in the clear'. That worked for me one time when a Hue motion sensor would get stuck on initializing....as I recall.

1 Like

These - may be worth trying, helped some folks get "difficult" devices to join. If your pairing experience doesn't match either case they may not do anything, but can't hurt to try.