C8 Motion Sensor Problems

I migrated from C7 to C8 today and it mostly seem to go well, but I have then noticed that some motion sensors no longer work. I have two Aqara sensors that have stopped working and even after deleting and re-adding the sensors they still will not report motion. I'm not so bothered about these as I had planned to replace them with Sonoff ones. However I have now noticed that my Hue motion sensors are not reporting motion either.

Has anyone else had issues with motion sensors on the C8 ?

I can't speak to Aqara (which are known to be kind of funky anyway) but early on I did have a bunch of Hue outdoor motion sensors drop off. That was several releases ago though and they have been stable once I re-paired them. I'd give the Hues a quick re-pair and see what happens. Tagging @mike.maxwell just for his info.

I have re-paired the Hue Outdoor Motion sensor but it still doesn't seem to report apart from when it initially pairs. The sensor is now flashing red.

I think the migration or registration process does an upgrade to the latest firmware but just to confirm you're on 2.3.5.101?

You might also do a quick reboot of the zigbee radio just in case. There's a handy button now to do it for you. Out of curiosity what's the power level set to on the zigbee radio?

Yes, the hub was updated to 2.3.5.101

Power level is 16 and to be honest all the sensors that are not working a quite close to the hub.
Should I reduce the power ?

Well... I bet it won't have any effect. But here's the scoop:

The C7 is basically power setting 8. When the power setting is increased the radio's power output increases (obviously) but so does the radio's sensitivity. Which means it is theoretically more subject to interference. I did a LOT of experimenting early on with 8 vs 16 and with high power APs basically sitting on top of the hub and did not really notice any interference or difference. But you might drop it down to 8 and see.

3 Likes

I should add that even with power setting 8 the C8 will perform much better because of the external antennas.

Unfortunately that didn't help, :frowning_face:

Yeah I didn't hold out much hope. But it was worth a few clicks. You tried rebooting the radio, right?

If you want you could try either removing and re-adding the hue sensor (but that will affect rules and other automations) or you could try doing a reset and then re-pairing. The reset on the hue outdoor hub is a pain in the ■■■ to get to - you have to take the cover off.

Or we can tag @support_team and they may have other ideas.

I have tried re-pairing several times, but it' acting the same as the Aqara sensors. It works once then never reports any changes again.

I'm sorry to say I have put the C7 hub back in and all is working again.

The C8 is back in it's box while I have a think about returning it.

Understood. But give them a bit. They're usually good about fixing stuff. You can always wait for the next firmware update or two and try again.

Thanks - I will probably wait and see if anyone else has the same issues.

Yeah I think one of the challenges these guys face is there are SO many variables out in the wild... hundreds of different kinds of sensors, tons of apps and third party integrations, and an infinite number of combinations, that there are bound to be some issues here and there especially with a new release. They're usually on things pretty quick though. But totally your call.

This means the sensor isnt able to receive an ack from the hub. So its mesh related

1 Like

But how can I fix that, or is it just a question of waiting for the mesh to sort itself out?
As soon as I put the C7 back in all the motion sensors started working again.

From your C-8, can you post the output of:

http://hubitat.local/hub/zigbee/getChildAndRouteInfo

@mark.bennettuk I finally got enough gumption to go grab one of my hue motion sensors from outside that was offline and tried to get it re-paired. The first time my experience wa just like yours - looked like it paired again but not reporting. Then I did it again and slowly counted to 15 as I held the pairing button on the Hue - that seemed to work. Dunno if you held the button in for the full 15 seconds but that definitely made a difference.

1 Like

I had it factory reset then repair my NYCE motion sensor too when moving from C-5 to C-8. The motion wasn't reporting at all, even after pairing it again until I factory reset it.

That was the only issue so far for me, I have around 100 ZigBee devices.

I tried the migration today from C7 to C8 after updating to 2.3.5.103.
Everything seems to be working fine now including the Hue Motion Sensor and even the Aqara sensors that I had planned to replace.
I'm not sure if the 2.3.5.103 was the reason, but it's looking good now.

1 Like

Great that it's all working! The issue that .103 fixed was reported as an all-or-nothing thing, but who knows...