C8 Motion Sensor Problems

Same problem with interior and exterior Hue motion sensors. They reset and pair with the C8 hub, but shortly afterwards they stop communicating with the hub. I took the same sensors and repaired them with my other C5 hub and they function normally. I repeated the process a couple of times with the same result. Hoping a fix is found for this.

I’ve been having exactly the same issue for the last few weeks. With some other devices as well - INNR plugs seem to be another culprit.

Same problem here - My Aqara P1 sensors work for a few minutes with the C8, but then disconnect and don't work again until i atteempt a re-pair. They worked great on the C7, but can't keep them working on the C8.

I've gotten a couple of these in the last two days:

The C8 will actually restart the zigbee radio if it crashes. This is likely evidence of something funky going on and the hub is recovering rather than just letting the zigbee radio stay offline.

It appears that a migration can cause Zigbee address issues:

1 Like

Cautiously optimistic. Installed 2.3.5.105 last night on C5 and C8 hubs. Removed an interior and exterior Hue motion sensor from my C5 hub and reset both and reinstalled both on my C8 hub this morning. Both are functioning normally so far. Previously they had immediately stopped communicating after pairing.

So, We'll see if 2.3.5.105 did the tick.

Spoke too soon, Moved another interior Hue motion sensor from C5 to C8. My newly joined exterior Hue motion sensor disappeared from the Device List on the C8. It seems that some sort of address conflict is going on.

I know @mike.maxwell is looking into it. I have 7 Hue motion sensors (4 outdoor) on the Hue bridge, connected to Home Assistant, and imported into Hubitat via the Home Assistant Device Bridge. I was planning to move them to my shiny new C-8 when I read @Tony ‘s post yesterday. I’m sure this will get sorted out fairly quickly by HE staff.

2 Likes

Yeah I would hold off. I've been dealing with this issue for a month or so since my initial C7->C8 migration. I've re-paired those outdoor Hue sensors and 3 or 4 INNR plugs quite a few times. Better to wait for them to find the answer than running around the yard with a screwdriver over and over again.

4 Likes

Can you post the model number shown in the data section of the driver for the sensor?

Sounds like what Tony brings up in this thread:

Hue Interior sensor #1 Model SML001
Hue Interior sensor #2 Model SML001
Hue Exterior sensor #1 Model SML002

All are using software ver. 42006BB7 and firmware ver. 100B-010D-42006BB7.

There is one strange thing I have noticed. If I remove a motion sensor, reset it and try to pair it again, Hubitat returns a message something to the effect "Device previously registered". If I accept that - I believe the past registration information appears. But I did not take screen shot so I can't verify that. And I do not get that message consistently.

But my C5 and C8 are running the same software ver 2.3.5.105. And 2.3.5.105 did make a difference. But did not completely fix the problems. And if I take a motion sensor from the C8 and reinstall it on the C5, it functions normally in all respects.

2 Likes

Just FYI. Support informed me that some (many?) of the Zigbee issues are because the C8 now uses Zigbee 3.0 and some (many?) of our existing devices startup differently than they did with previous hubs.
They are working on the issues.

Tom

6 Likes

I have about 10 Aqara motion sensors that will connect but then almost immediately drop off the C8. Worked fine on my previous C5 hub. I have several IKEA repeaters that helped the Xiaomi’s stay attached previously to my C5 hub. They have reconnected fine, although I have had to manually reconnect everything because the migration didn’t reconnect my devices. But the motion sensors simply won’t work, at any hub Zigbee radio power level.

1 Like

I gave up with the Aqara sensors and changed to Sonoff. No problems since. Sorry that doesn't help you.

I have several Sonofs but stopped using them because the battery life was terrible in comparison and also I couldn’t get over how ugly they are. I do like the way they indicate sensing with the red led flash tho. That for me is quite a cool feature and very useful in debugging too :laughing:

I have the same problems with the C8 and Aqara devices, I have had only one Aqara device work its the newer P1 motion sensor. ALL the older versions will not pair correctly and if they do it only works for one time then it done, redo the connections tried all the radio stuff and to no avail no go. its a real problem running 2.3.5.110 on my hub.

Yes, the Sonoff's are certainly very ugly. I've not had any battery issues with them.

1 Like

Yet more issues with C8 and zig bee, now my hue motion sensor dropped off line I removed and it will not let me re add it. Gee wiz I bought the C8 to improve things and now I am having nothing but zig bee issues that I never had on C7 .

1 Like