C8 Migration Hue Motion Sensors not working [Solved] (hub replacement)

I put one of my Hue indoor sensors on my C-8. Now I wait…

Increasing the transmission power also increases the sensitivity, thus amplifying the interference in a noisy environment. The previous hubs had power level 8 with no external antenna. The C-8 is preset to 16. I turned mine up to 20, but I dont have a very noisy environment.

Transmit power change is a long shot at best. The reality is the indoor Hue sensors are the only devices dropping, while Sonoff door switches, Smartthings Motion detectors, Sonoff Smart Switches and a number of other Zigbee devices in the same area have absolutely no issues and aren't dropping.

I'm only trying adjusting these levels on the off chance the Hue sensors are sensitive or there's something else going on it can positively impact. I will try to report back either way.

1 Like

I lowered mine back to the c7 levels as i had a couple of devices missing messages not dropping off the mesh.

They previously worked ok on the c7 and their performance also improved on reduced power. Not 100% but maybe only missing 1 message out of 30. Where before at least half were getting dropped.

Only thing i can conclude is there was too.much noise or they were trying to go direct to hub and not pulling it off well.

I've had no luck in getting brand new Hue indoor motion sensors to pair and work with a brand new C8 hub. There is clearly some sort of issue with Hue/C8 compatibility.

Things I have tried with the Hue sensor 2 inches from the C8 hub:

• Factory reset the sensor (many, many times)
  • Removed the batteries from the sensor and let it sit for 2 hours
  • Installed tested, fresh batteries in the sensor
  • Paired the Hue sensor to the Hue Bridge (both pair easily and perfectly), left overnight for firmware update.
  • Unpaired from Hue Hub, factory reset multiple times.
  • Rebooted the hub
  • Shutdown the hub and unplugged it for 30 min
  • Updated the firmware on the hub (currently 2.3.5.110)

Once I finally paired one of them to the Hubitat hub (but not working or reporting in), tried re-paring without deleting it or unpairing first. The hub occasionally finds it as a device previously paired but still does not work,

I notice that the sensor seems to time out while pairing. When factory reset and in pairing mode the LED blinks orange. When the hub eventually (after many tries) finds the sensor, it will blink one long green then stop blinking. At this point Hubitat reports that it is "initializing the device". It seems to just hang there and after about 10-20 seconds the Hue sensor flashes the factory reset sequence (fast green/red blinks three times) and goes back to blinking orange. The pairing then fails.

It's almost like the hub finds it, starts initializing but takes so long that the Hue sensor gives up.

This is the newest version of the Hue sensor with the raised button on the back.

My zigbee network is robust, no interference from my wi-fi or neighbors, not on the same channel as the Hue hub.

1 Like

Does anyone have Hue sensors working properly with the C8?? I purchased a C8 as soon as it was announced, regretting that decision now. I haven't done the migration from my C5 yet because of these issues. My new hub has just been sitting there doing nothing for a week and a half now.

I have not seen any updates from the hubitat team addressing this.

Yeah I agree, Something hardware or software wise is definitely bugged with the Zigbee in the C8. I don't think it's just a hue thing though. The Zigbee is buggy for lots of people. Just to play around I tried to pair some band new Sonoff outlets, it didn't go smooth couldn't even reliably pair them right next to the hub. The Zigbee now reminds of how Hubitat's Zwave use to be.

I have a bunch of them working but there's definitely issues going on. Lots of people just like to think it must be your mesh kinda like they did with the Zwave issues. Come to find out the zwave firmware was trash back then. Zwave seems to work awesome now and always worked great with home assistant. I didn't change a thing in my mesh but the firmware changed a few times. I turned my c7 on to see if I had any problems pairing things with it and everything paired just fine.

I'm having issues with multiple devices - it is not a Hue-specific issue. INNR plugs have been a mess for me, and my Ikea shades - though they work - take seconds to respond. I've had to re-pair number of Sengled contact sensors, a couple of ST leak sensors, etc. etc. The Hues seem to be the most problematic but C8 zigbee is not operating correctly for some of us, across many device types.

2 Likes

Interesting thread. I have 5 indoor and 2 outdoor Hue motion and all but 1 outdoor did not migrate to the C8. I had 2 older ST sensors not come across either but all I did was pull the batteries out for 30 seconds on each sensor, they rejoined and they have all worked for the last 5 days since I migrated. I was affected by the Zigbee radio offline / stuck on initializing issue for a day after. They resolved that issue but everything has been good in Zigbee land since.
It would be nice to know why these issues affect some and not others.

Everything has been running reliably on my C5 for over two years now...I really don't want to get into any new headaches.... I was really just looking to offload my wifi and cloud devices and apps to a second hub, the C5 ,and then have all of my current zigbee and zwave devices and apps on the fancy new hub. Starting to think I would have been better off getting a second C5

I hope this is resolved soon, I planned to have this migration completed over a week ago.

1 Like

I have 8 on a C8.
Running great just like on the C7, knock on wood.
If you want me to check something, let me know.

edit: I only have one hub running the latest production firmware.

Lots of people have migrated without issues. And then there are a few of us for which it's been a real mess. So I'd say if it aint broke don't fix it and see what happens over the next few months. Or roll the dice and maybe you'll get lucky.

can you post some of your Zigbee log please?

Okay.
I have to turn it on and let it run for how long?

Here's a smattering.

It builds up quick.
I took a little walk and activated them.
I think the 2 arrival sensors report every 20 seconds.
I have no idea what these logs mean.

Thank you, it looks exactly how I thought it would look. I'm going to stop paying attention to Zigbee repeater signals

I have two Hue Outdoor Motion Sensors. Both on the same firmware release. One has been solid since migration (C7 to C8) one falls off between 8 and 16 hours - repeatedly. They are both on the same side of the house and, roughly, the same distance to the hub. The one that has not fallen off routes through another Zigbee device. The one that falls off (repeatedly) always tries to connect directly. I have installed a Zigbee routing device (Centralite outlet) in a location that appears to be roughly in between the Hue in question and the hub. It does not choose to route through it (at least not yet - it's been two or three days).

3 Likes

Nope, my indoor is fine it’s the out door that’s dropping. It’s worth a try. If it’s still giving me issues I’ll probably just put it on the hue hub until it’s fixed. At least I have that option. Not everyone does. A lot of people bought and use them completely independently of the hue hub. As a matter of fact, it was because of Hue’s lousy customer service and then trying to weasel out if honoring their warranty that I even have the hub any way .

Yes. I migrated from C-5 to C-8 and all of my indoor Hue motion sensors have been solid. I haven't tried to pair any new ones.

I had problems with my outdoor sensor. Removing it entirely and then repairing it has (apparently) fixed that issue. (I say apparently because it's only been a little over 24 hours, but that's the longest it's been connected.)

I also set my zigbee power down to 8 and rebooted the zigbee radio. And did the hokey pokey and perhaps said the correct magic words (that I will not repeat here). Something in there fixed it.

1 Like