C8 Migration from C7

As with so many things Z-Wave, it depends. In my case (which was NOT representative of the migration experience) it took a few days for things to settle. Some devices were back to normal immediately, most within 24-48 hours, some finicky ones took longer. The long pole in the tent for me was Ring Gen 2 keypads but others had no issues with them at all. Bryan tried to replicate my Ring keypads and his worked fine right away.

Yup - on/off, up/down, etc.

I'm using the community Google Home integration and that isn't working yet. I've three hubs listed now in Google Home when I go through the Works w/Google update. I select my new hub and confirm devices, but they are all showing offiline in the GH app and Google says it can't reach my hub.

I've done the "Done" in the GH community app, so must be something else I need to update...

Yes there is, the setup instructions have a spot where you put in something on the google site with the hub ID. That needs to be fixed so it can talk back to the hub via the cloud. I walked through the setup instructions and was able to find it that way.

Once you do that I think you just have to refresh it in the Google Home app and it should sync up again.

2 Likes

Yup! Step 8 in the GH Community instructions...just had to copy/paste in the new hub's UID into the field and save. Thanks!! GH commands all working.

Community Ring integration is working w/out any changes - I did go into all of my cloud integrations and hit "Done" as was advised.

Got my C-8 in hand. I am also planning to move from C-7 to C-8, nearly all zigbee devices (one single z-wave motion sensor). Question - does the 32 zigbee device limit the hub can have directly connected still apply with the C-8 (zigbee 3.0)? Also, will I only see the cloud backup option for migration once I've registered the C-8? I am not seeing it currently (I'm not currently a hub protect subscriber). Thanks!

The direct connect limit is the same between the C7 and the C8, this value isn't anything to worry about.
Every mesh has some routers (which don't count against this value) in it unless the entire zigbee network consists of battery devices....

2 Likes

Need to update to 2.3.5.x to get the migration backup option.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reminder! One small request: is it possible for you to make your app's names changeable? I'm trying to do some clean up and one part of that is to get apps re-ordered in the app list.

Wow, lightning quick response, thank you! My network currently consists of zigbee Sengled classic bulbs (which I understand do not act as routers) and battery devices. I went from ST to Hubitat (C-7 - wish I knew C-8 was just about to release) just recently (weeks ago) and found I had signal strength issues with the C-7 that I didn't seem to have with my ST hub, so I purchased four Third Reality Zigbee outlets, which helped improve the zigbee mesh. I would prefer not to use the outlets if I can get away with it, just to keep things as simple as possible (and avoid people randomly removing the outlets, for example).

Gotcha, thank you for the super quick response!

1 Like

I’d be curious to understand how the zigbee migration is working for the c8, but that wasn’t possible previously with Hub Protect, without rejoining all the devices. Is it the result of the zigbee chip used in the c8?

I’m not sure if any meaningful details can be shared,

1 Like

Yes

2 Likes

And in my humble opinion it's a game changer. Having a truly complete, no muss no fuss backup puts a big smile on my face.

5 Likes

Until I PM your wife that you got a new hub... :rofl:

6 Likes

Aieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I'd like to mention the zigbee migration is why I purchased the C8. C8 came a couple hours ago, it is set up and the migration from C7 went without a hitch. I have a mixed environment but there are 50 Zigbee devices. The cost of the C8 is well worth not having to set all of those up again in the future. The Hubitat staff really should take several curtain calls.

5 Likes

You can thank @mike.maxwell for the zigbee migration

6 Likes

And trust me... he earned it!

wife hasnt noticed yet.. even though i have been turning all lights on and off to rebuild zwave routes.. expecting a wtf are you doing by now.

5 Likes

I read that you should assign the C7 IP address to the C8. When would you do this, and why is it necessary?

What problems will I create myself if I just let the C8 have a new IP address?